Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:01 PM

622 posts, read 853,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Yeah, Long Island needs more density.

http://goo.gl/maps/GbGUk
Yup, beautiful aint it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
More density what are you smoking long island has executed every tree we don't need no more building
and FYI were losing young people myself included because theirs nothing to do here if you want to walk to you precious resteruants move to the dam city !!!!!!
Nonsense, there's always the mall to hang out at!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:17 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Nonsense, there's always the mall to hang out at!
I perfer the outdoors not saying theirs nothing wrong with the mall but who wants to be indoors in the spring/summer.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
I perfer the outdoors not saying theirs nothing wrong with the mall but who wants to be indoors in the spring/summer.
I was being sarcastic... I'm in agreement, not too much to do around here, especially during this time of year. And especially if you're the out-of-doors type.

What's funny, having grown-up on LI, there's far less to do today than there was 20 years ago.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:42 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Used to.

Look ahead instead of looking back. Help the Garden State. They could use you in the trenches in places like Camden, Newark, or Trenton. Better still, Christie could use your guidance.
I didn't know that CD has a policy that one can only post about places where they live. BTW, those places you mention have socioeconomic problems, not planning and layout, the issues that I'm interested in. At least be a little more educated before you go on the offensive.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Would like him to post these ideas in the NJ forum and see what answers he gets from the NJ residents.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Is the NJ forum suppose to be people that are different from anywhere else?

Old 02-07-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I think the OP is talking more about transit development-- sort of like what's been happening by the Mineola station.

Other large cities have areas in the suburbs like this-- Chicago has Evanston, Washington has Silver Spring, Arlington, Bethesda, etc. Shoot, New York even has White Plains. I'm not saying we should go that dense, but there's no reason we can't have more apartments and walkable shopping in areas near railroad stations. Of course, it's all wishful thinking.
Yes, thank you. I'd also add New Rochelle in Westchester and Stamford in Connecticut. In New Jersey, you have New Brunswick and Harrison. Cities and towns that are smartening up and building dense transit oriented developments. Long Island seems to be the only place in the region that seems to not be doing this and hence why I'm asking here.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:24 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I didn't know that CD has a policy that one can only post about places where they live. BTW, those places you mention have socioeconomic problems, not planning and layout, the issues that I'm interested in. At least be a little more educated before you go on the offensive.
You're from NJ -- you left LI a while ago. Focus on the problems in your own backyard. If you had done your research and educated yourself with respect to this board, you would have realized that we're tired of people who don't live here coming back telling us how or why we should/shouldn't do or change things. NJ has plenty of issues which you could focus your energy on.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:40 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yes, thank you. I'd also add New Rochelle in Westchester and Stamford in Connecticut. In New Jersey, you have New Brunswick and Harrison. Cities and towns that are smartening up and building dense transit oriented developments. Long Island seems to be the only place in the region that seems to not be doing this and hence why I'm asking here.
With the exception of Harrison, aren't all of those locations cities? Long Island has 2 cities, densely populated and served by the LIRR.

Harrison is about 10? 12? miles from Manhattan. If you head 10, 12 miles out of Manhattan onto Long Island you will find Forest Hills, which is densely populated, walkable, and has a LIRR station.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:46 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,348,549 times
NIMBY people, like most of those on this thread. That is why.

I agree with you, what we have built, doesn't make sense. We wouldn't have so many illegal crappy basement apartments if there were real options for young (and other) people to rent and buy. Not only that but it would probably make renting more affordable with actual supply of rentals, and people might be able to buy some condos.

The best on LI that has done this is Great Neck, with a walkable downtown, coop and condo buildings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island