Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:22 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times

Advertisements

New Brunswick is a university town like Princeton so there is already a dense economic base over there to build on plus pre-existing amenities.

Also the place did not smart up. It was already made to be walkable long ago as did some other places stated in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 08:46 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,628 times
Then a few days later we'll get posters complaining about illegal apartments

Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 AM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
All for developments around railroad hubs to get people off the road but increasing population density in general without addressing existing traffic and water pollution problems is the definition of insanity. Just read some articles on the pollution of cesspools leaching into our drinking water and destroying marine life in the great south bay and other bodies of water, adding more people to LI will only make it worse.

Meanwhile they are proposing a large development in Long Beach and Island Park, great idea seems like they learned quite a bit from the last 2 hurricanes.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Does Long Island have any railroad hubs?

Old 02-08-2014, 12:30 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
No. If you build as the OP said, you would have people who could actually WALK places like to stores, work, etc.

Long Island is crazy... if you need something as simple as a bottle of milk, you have to drive to get it.
That's not necessarily true. There are homes built all around the strip malls (you know how people complain there are too many of those too?) that have most of what you'll ever need in your life. A big reason they need to drive there is because mom may have an infant in tow while doing her shopping and it's not exactly warm out for a stroll. They also come back with 20 bags of groceries once a week because that's how they can divide their time efficiently. This is more where families live and the teenagers aren't the ones going out to buy whatever they need on their own.

Personally I ride the bike out not even 3 minutes to the local strip mall but can only do it when it's warm out and I'm only picking up an item or two. Otherwise the walk is 15 minutes for 4 zig-zag blocks and you have to consider the time coming back. Oh wait, I have a car. I'm not sure what the argument about having to drive to get a bottle of milk is ever about. Even some Queens or Brooklyn residents need to walk that same 15 minutes one way to get to store areas. The difference is they do it out of necessity.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-08-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You're from NJ -- you left LI a while ago. Focus on the problems in your own backyard. If you had done your research and educated yourself with respect to this board, you would have realized that we're tired of people who don't live here coming back telling us how or why we should/shouldn't do or change things. NJ has plenty of issues which you could focus your energy on.
Ridiculous. This topic would be just as valid of a topic for discussion if it was brought up by a LI'er. Issues in NJ does not change the fact that this is a legitimate issue for LI and worthy of discussion.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:29 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You're from NJ -- you left LI a while ago. Focus on the problems in your own backyard. If you had done your research and educated yourself with respect to this board, you would have realized that we're tired of people who don't live here coming back telling us how or why we should/shouldn't do or change things. NJ has plenty of issues which you could focus your energy on.
This response and attitude is uncalled for. There is no rule that C-D posters can't post their opinions about areas they lived in, and its not like NJ is 3,000 miles away from LI. Its no wonder that LIers get a bad reputation for thinking in such a provincial manner with perspectives like this.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,869,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
That's not necessarily true. There are homes built all around the strip malls (you know how people complain there are too many of those too?) that have most of what you'll ever need in your life. A big reason they need to drive there is because mom may have an infant in tow while doing her shopping and it's not exactly warm out for a stroll. They also come back with 20 bags of groceries once a week because that's how they can divide their time efficiently. This is more where families live and the teenagers aren't the ones going out to buy whatever they need on their own.

Personally I ride the bike out not even 3 minutes to the local strip mall but can only do it when it's warm out and I'm only picking up an item or two. Otherwise the walk is 15 minutes for 4 zig-zag blocks and you have to consider the time coming back. Oh wait, I have a car. I'm not sure what the argument about having to drive to get a bottle of milk is ever about. Even some Queens or Brooklyn residents need to walk that same 15 minutes one way to get to store areas. The difference is they do it out of necessity.
Suburban strip malls are located along wide arterial roads that are dangerous to pedestrians. If you have a house that is right behind one (and also walkable to trains and schools) then good for you but most homes are typically located in residential pods that feed to main roads that themselves feed into arterial roads. Not to mention that the newer housing developments have elliptical roads leading to the homes, which encourage cars to run faster.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:23 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
^ I have to cross a 4-lane road (2 lanes each way) that has crosswalks and red lights. I wouldn't send my kids there alone, but any capable adult (not elderly walking 2mph) can do it.

I think suburbanites would be less intimidated by them if they drove a little less. It is no more dangerous than a street in Manhattan with multiple cars waiting impatiently right at your knees.

If people are complaining they have to drive to get milk instead of being able to walk there because of such safety concerns, it is not the fault of location planning or the suburban model.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-09-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
This response and attitude is uncalled for. There is no rule that C-D posters can't post their opinions about areas they lived in, and its not like NJ is 3,000 miles away from LI. Its no wonder that LIers get a bad reputation for thinking in such a provincial manner with perspectives like this.
Exactly-- when there's no good argument, there's always ad hominem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island