Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 10:16 AM

413 posts, read 599,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Why should they compromise? I think the union sees it this way:

The public is little more than freight, and has no voice at the negotiating table. The MTA has its own corruption problems, and does not represent the public in a proactive way.

They can strike legally after 7/21. They'll miss a few days of pay until unemployment kicks in. When it does, they'll be paid to sit at home and barbecue on the patio. When that's over, they're getting a raise.

Fares keep climbing and service declines, but the public pays anyway. The RR is a monopoly and they have no choice.

The public already hates the RR and both sides. But does this matter? I don't think so.
Because ultimately they both HAVE to compromise. That's how issues get resolved. For the record, my friends who work for LIRR are not looking forward to BBQing. They are freaked out about a strike and want a deal done and want to know they have their jobs. I'm sure the union honchos see it differently though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 AM

429 posts, read 853,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Because ultimately they both HAVE to compromise. That's how issues get resolved. For the record, my friends who work for LIRR are not looking forward to BBQing. They are freaked out about a strike and want a deal done and want to know they have their jobs. I'm sure the union honchos see it differently though.
I don't see how this can be true. They're protected by the law - they can't be fired for striking. So, they go on strike, maybe lose a couple of days' pay and then come back to their raises that will get pushed through eventually at the expense of the taxpayers.

What the union is doing is a complete assault on taxpayers and riders. MORE MORE MORE, knowing that what they were offered was pretty close to what they demanded AND knowing that their raises will be funded almost entirely by increased fares and taxes. Don't forget the multi-billion dollar disability fraud that 1000 of their colleagues participated in.

Maybe their pay and raises should be directly proportionate to the income increases for the people that ride the train? Those would be some interesting numbers to see.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
I'm just freaking out.

I could honestly lose my job.

I need a way in. I may be hoteling it if anyone cares to come along. We'll need to stock the fridge full of booze.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:25 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
If I were in their position I'd be looking forward to a paid siesta. They can cripple the Island if they please, without worrying their jobs will be harmed. Nobody gets fired for striking, and a nice raise is already agreed-on. They just want more. As I see it, the union has most of the power, and they can shake down the public for whatever raises and bennies they like.

It's good to be union. Sucks to be a commuter.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
Buckthedog, I think you've done a really good job of answering . Oeryone's questions calmly and even civi. y argu. g with people who have spoken out against the union, but you're also really trying to shift the blame almost entirely onto the MTA.

I think when even the public is calling on the union to make some concessions (what the MTA proposed most recently is NOT a bad deal), it's not really the union's place to fight harder for their demands. The public is the one using and paying for the service - if we're not in support of union members not having to contribute to their healthcare, why would we be in support of them striking to get their way anyhow?

Yet, the MTA printing leaflets to inform their passengers is a "waste"? Come on.
Thank you.
I dont think the unions should strike, as I've said it before, it will only hurt the people who rely on the railroad to get to THEIR jobs. Striking against the public is not a good idea.

A strike against a corporation, such as GM or Cablevision, or IBM I dont have an issue with, its a direct hit at the stockholders.

I think the leaflets are a waste simply because they dont tell the rider anything useful. Other than: Stay home.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:35 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm just freaking out.

I could honestly lose my job.

I need a way in. I may be hoteling it if anyone cares to come along. We'll need to stock the fridge full of booze.
I feel bad for you, truly. Perhaps you can stay with a friend, family. In the five boroughs, or even Jersey, there's still going to be those services.

Also, should a young lass be offering to split a hotel with unknown CDers? Lol

Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,628 times
Jdawg, aren't you on the south shore of Nassau County? Take the n4 to the E/J/Z trains at Jamaica Center.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:41 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times
The only harm that could possibly happen to the unions in case of a crippling strike is a possible repeal of the Triborough Amendment and the Taylor Law. This depends on the NY state government to do something bold. So many politicians in NYS are in the unions' pocket, I doubt it would ever come to pass. As it stands, the unions' power in NY is seamless.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Jdawg, aren't you on the south shore of Nassau County? Take the n4 to the E/J/Z trains at Jamaica Center.
Where does one get the N4?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I feel bad for you, truly. Perhaps you can stay with a friend, family. In the five boroughs, or even Jersey, there's still going to be those services.

Also, should a young lass be offering to split a hotel with unknown CDers? Lol
I have 2 friends in the city so I guess I'll try and shack up with them but that can only last so long. I dont wanna become the smelly lady on the couch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island