Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 05:32 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,933 times

Advertisements

No, PATCO was an illegal strike. For PATCO the RLA process hadn't been exhausted yet.
The RLA has a long process that will ultimatley allow self help. Legally.
The same date the employees can walk the railroad can lock them out. In a strike the railroad can also hire replacement workers. But if the replacement workers aren't qualified at the strikes end, they cannot stay.

The process is long and drawn out to keep steel wheels rolling as long as they can in hopes of an agreement. usually its 2-3 years. This time around its been four years

Last edited by Buckthedog; 07-10-2014 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: gross phone typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 05:33 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
More negotiations today.

Again, not holding my breath.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:35 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That would be quite a move and I really don't see anyone in leadership with a set (so to speak) as big as Ronnie's to do it. Remember the hell in Wisconsin because the union lost the right to collective bargaining for benefits just salary. Remember how they were gouging the public on their overpriced health care plan...

I am sure the list of abuses by the LIRR unions would be far lengthier....

Old 07-10-2014, 05:56 AM

429 posts, read 853,692 times
What I'd really love to see is when issues like these occur between two parties (unions and MTA), I'd love it if the public this service affects became the third party in the negotiations. Imagine what a different world it would be if LIRR workers needed to get the people they serve on their side to help decide whether they should get any or everything on their wishlist? It would be in the public's best interest to help avoid a strike and since we basically pay their salaries with our taxes and fares, I think it'd be awesome if we had a say in how it was distributed.

We vote on school budgets - why couldn't we vote on contract negotiations between LIRR and MTA, especially when they can't figure it out for themselves?

Last edited by csteen85; 07-10-2014 at 06:08 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 05:59 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
I just talked to a conductor again. They do not want to strike. It's so infuriating though how no one knows anything. LIRR employees do not pay into their healthcare, most people do, so they really have some nerve to complain about anything. They can make a nice living on what they are being paid. Why can't they just be grateful for what they get?

A lot of co's havent given raises. The economy is in the toilet.

The conductor mentioned something that the last time they striked people parked @ Shea and took the 7. Anyone know if they are doing that again? I don't see how this could work if there's a home game @ Citifield though.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post

We vote on school budgets - why couldn't we vote on contract negotiations between LIRR and MTA, especially when they can't figure it out for themselves?
Good question, although you do NOT vote on school district employee contracts.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 AM

332 posts, read 614,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
my dream is to have MTA dissolve & become privatized
The reason the MTA exists is because the 'privatized' lines all went bankrupt. Privatization is not the answer.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

A lot of co's havent given raises. The economy is in the toilet.
Right...no raises. But they do get "bonuses". Basically a raise.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 AM

332 posts, read 614,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Funny, it didn't become an issue until just this week And yes, anyone who commutes knows the drill about the tracks and the benefit of knowing which track your train will be on EVERY DAY.

The LIRR employees are screwing with the people who are paying their inflated salaries.
Amtrak, not LIRR employees, controls the track assignments, tracks, East river tunnels. Most of the issues (unless mechanical issues with a train) are on Amtrak's shoulders.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
The reason the MTA exists is because the 'privatized' lines all went bankrupt. Privatization is not the answer.
That was back in 1966 (actually, the state had been subsidizing it as early as the 50s)-- Long Island was a different place back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island