Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:09 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
That's it.

You can pressure the Governor to get involved. He's a dope.

He said he was staying out because it was a federal matter, because of the RLA, today congress said its a local matter that belongs at the table.

I just saw on the news a that the MTA chairman didnt even show up to the negotiation meeting.

Really?
I didnt think congress would do anything. It's a local matter. It's kind of like going to the ER for a papercut and expecting them to take care of it lol. Thats the best analogy I've got
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 01:27 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,410,313 times
The MTA is like EVERY business today. They don't care about customers, AND employees. Typical American attitude lately. This country has gone to crap.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:45 PM

429 posts, read 853,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Congress will not intervene. It was just announced.

Any strike now has the potential to be lasting now.

It will go till either side breaks.

The workers will want back to work before the MTA gives a hoot about its passengers.
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous! First of all, "it will go til either side breaks"? Why is it viewed as BREAKING? Why can't it be viewed as NEGOTIATING? COMPROMISING?

"The workers will want back to work before the MTA gives a hoot about its passengers." Also inaccurate. If this were true, the strike wouldn't even happen in the first place.

There are a few things about this issue that are so troubling to me: I read yesterday that the LIRR workers currently don't contribute to their healthcare costs at all. Can one of the LIRR people on this thread confirm that? I also read that the latest offer made by the MTA (and rejected by the Unions) would give 17% raises over 7 years (they demanded 6 years) and they'd have to contribute 2% to their healthcare costs (new employees would have to contribute 4%). Who is stonewalling who, here? Why do the Unions believe that they're the only ones in the Public sector that shouldn't have to contribute to their own healthcare costs???????

Also, from what I can see, the MTA improved their offer SIGNIFICANTLY from the previous one made (from 11% to 17% over 7 years (with healthcare contributions). What about that was so unacceptable?

This whole this is garbage for a number of reasons. But the first is, it doesn't matter WHAT the MTA offers or how close it is to what the Unions are demanding. There is no such thing as negotiation here. It's their way, or strike.

Secondly, the Unions know that the strike doesn't impact the MTA nearly as much as it impacts its riders. Buckthedog said it himself later in the thread - they're calling on US to get our Governor involved. Because their Union voice isn't loud enough. They WANTED this strike to happen and anyone who believes any differently is BLIND. And they KNOW that more money for them results in more money out of riders' pockets. There's never been any doubt about this. No one at the MTA says, "Okay sure, we'll just take paycuts to give the union workers more money."

I know you can't compare union jobs to non-union jobs, but what kills me is none of this would ever fly in a non-union job. There's just no such thing as these demands with NO compromise. It's not real life. And by the way, let's just say the Unions by some miracle didn't get their way, how many people would realistically quit their LIRR jobs? NONE OF THEM. Because there isn't a better deal around! So, the strike becomes their only negotiating tool, because they'd be fools to give up what they have - DESPITE the fact that they want more.

Ugh, I wish we could fire every single person that walked off their jobs. Let the people who stay keep their jobs and even get raises. Then NO ONE would strike. But can't do that, because there's no such thing as competition in the union world. Everyone is equal... except the customer.

UN-EFFING-REAL.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:08 PM

I was really thinking about this - how the riders could stage their own "walk out" and get their point across that they're tired of the garbage. The only thing I could think of is if every single rider unsubscribed from Mail & Ride and boarded the trains without tickets. They'd need the collector to write a hand-written bill to be mailed home. First of all, I don't think a ticket collector would be able to get through an entire car of hand-written bills in one ride. And eventually, they'd just have to either a) stop issuing them, or b) kick anyone off the train that didn't have their tickets and needed a written one (is that legal?). But either way, the LIRR wouldn't be collecting any money - sales would drop and then what?

Oh man, a girl can dream, right?

Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
Great idea!!! But always have a ticket available to show Conductor Norton the Magnificent in case he decides to get his RailTude up.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:22 PM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
I was really thinking about this - how the riders could stage their own "walk out" and get their point across that they're tired of the garbage. The only thing I could think of is if every single rider unsubscribed from Mail & Ride and boarded the trains without tickets. They'd need the collector to write a hand-written bill to be mailed home. First of all, I don't think a ticket collector would be able to get through an entire car of hand-written bills in one ride. And eventually, they'd just have to either a) stop issuing them, or b) kick anyone off the train that didn't have their tickets and needed a written one (is that legal?). But either way, the LIRR wouldn't be collecting any money - sales would drop and then what?

Oh man, a girl can dream, right?
that is the dream. All riders protest & stopped paying to bankrupt the MTA and their union employees

Old 07-09-2014, 02:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous! First of all, "it will go til either side breaks"? Why is it viewed as BREAKING? Why can't it be viewed as NEGOTIATING? COMPROMISING?

"The workers will want back to work before the MTA gives a hoot about its passengers." Also inaccurate. If this were true, the strike wouldn't even happen in the first place.

There are a few things about this issue that are so troubling to me: I read yesterday that the LIRR workers currently don't contribute to their healthcare costs at all. Can one of the LIRR people on this thread confirm that? I also read that the latest offer made by the MTA (and rejected by the Unions) would give 17% raises over 7 years (they demanded 6 years) and they'd have to contribute 2% to their healthcare costs (new employees would have to contribute 4%). Who is stonewalling who, here? Why do the Unions believe that they're the only ones in the Public sector that shouldn't have to contribute to their own healthcare costs???????

Also, from what I can see, the MTA improved their offer SIGNIFICANTLY from the previous one made (from 11% to 17% over 7 years (with healthcare contributions). What about that was so unacceptable?

This whole this is garbage for a number of reasons. But the first is, it doesn't matter WHAT the MTA offers or how close it is to what the Unions are demanding. There is no such thing as negotiation here. It's their way, or strike.

Secondly, the Unions know that the strike doesn't impact the MTA nearly as much as it impacts its riders. Buckthedog said it himself later in the thread - they're calling on US to get our Governor involved. Because their Union voice isn't loud enough. They WANTED this strike to happen and anyone who believes any differently is BLIND. And they KNOW that more money for them results in more money out of riders' pockets. There's never been any doubt about this. No one at the MTA says, "Okay sure, we'll just take paycuts to give the union workers more money."

I know you can't compare union jobs to non-union jobs, but what kills me is none of this would ever fly in a non-union job. There's just no such thing as these demands with NO compromise. It's not real life. And by the way, let's just say the Unions by some miracle didn't get their way, how many people would realistically quit their LIRR jobs? NONE OF THEM. Because there isn't a better deal around! So, the strike becomes their only negotiating tool, because they'd be fools to give up what they have - DESPITE the fact that they want more.

Ugh, I wish we could fire every single person that walked off their jobs. Let the people who stay keep their jobs and even get raises. Then NO ONE would strike. But can't do that, because there's no such thing as competition in the union world. Everyone is equal... except the customer.

UN-EFFING-REAL.
I read something similar and I think it's true.

Notice "Dittodon," the resident LIRR union member apologist, is MIA when you ask this question ... didn't you ask it in the other (now closed) thread too?

Old 07-09-2014, 02:33 PM

Yes, I did also ask it there. I thought it was important to note WHAT offer was actually being declined by the unions and just how close it was to what they demanded. How much closer did they need the MTA to get? Also, what will be the Union's counteroffer? Or is it just repeating the same offer the MTA already countered? I think it's pretty clear who is stonewalling who.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Yes, I did also ask it there. I thought it was important to note WHAT offer was actually being declined by the unions and just how close it was to what they demanded. How much closer did they need the MTA to get? Also, what will be the Union's counteroffer? Or is it just repeating the same offer the MTA already countered? I think it's pretty clear who is stonewalling who.
From what I understand, both the union and the MTA have dug in their heels and neither are budging from their last offers.

I agree with you, the MTA's "final" offer is not terrible and if I was in the union, I would vote to take the MTA's offer.

It's also interesting how the politicians are weaseling out ... especially Cuomo! He IS our governor, but he says it's a "federal" issue ... hmmm, I guess he doesn't want to offend all the union members in the state, but doesn't mind screwing the LI'ers who take the LIRR! Then the thing with Congress ... of course they won't get into it. They have a full agenda and lots of vacation time in the summer, so they might not even get done what they already set out on their agenda. They cannot add this on top of it right now.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:44 PM

295 posts, read 346,070 times
Anyone hoping for a strike such as myself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island