Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:44 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
And by the way, let's just say the Unions by some miracle didn't get their way, how many people would realistically quit their LIRR jobs? NONE OF THEM. Because there isn't a better deal around! So, the strike becomes their only negotiating tool, because they'd be fools to give up what they have - DESPITE the fact that they want more.

Ugh, I wish we could fire every single person that walked off their jobs. Let the people who stay keep their jobs and even get raises. Then NO ONE would strike. But can't do that, because there's no such thing as competition in the union world. Everyone is equal... except the customer.

UN-EFFING-REAL.
Same thing can be said for LI teachers. So aggravating. There should be no unionizing when it comes to public-sector jobs where WE are the ones paying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
Anyone hoping for a strike such as myself?
Anything that will put pressure on the unions and make them look bad / greedy is good to me.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-09-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
Anyone hoping for a strike such as myself?
Why would anyone want the strike?

Old 07-09-2014, 03:24 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
people allowed to work from home?
people who live next to train lines?
those that own parking garages in the city?
someone looking for a reason to fire a certain employee who spends all day on city data?

Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM

519 posts, read 598,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
The MTA is like EVERY business today. They don't care about customers, AND employees. Typical American attitude lately. This country has gone to crap.

What makes them different from the unions? Unions only care about themselves. They are like unregulated corporations that are somehow permitted to buy politicians. Actually, the MTA knows the customers (and just about everyone else) are sick of paying these union members lavish salaries & benefits.

Live within your means or find another job. Pay towards health care like everyone else. Don't like it? Go find another job. Good luck trying to match an LIRR job pay level in this economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous! First of all, "it will go til either side breaks"? Why is it viewed as BREAKING? Why can't it be viewed as NEGOTIATING? COMPROMISING?

"The workers will want back to work before the MTA gives a hoot about its passengers." Also inaccurate. If this were true, the strike wouldn't even happen in the first place.

There are a few things about this issue that are so troubling to me: I read yesterday that the LIRR workers currently don't contribute to their healthcare costs at all. Can one of the LIRR people on this thread confirm that? I also read that the latest offer made by the MTA (and rejected by the Unions) would give 17% raises over 7 years (they demanded 6 years) and they'd have to contribute 2% to their healthcare costs (new employees would have to contribute 4%). Who is stonewalling who, here? Why do the Unions believe that they're the only ones in the Public sector that shouldn't have to contribute to their own healthcare costs???????

Also, from what I can see, the MTA improved their offer SIGNIFICANTLY from the previous one made (from 11% to 17% over 7 years (with healthcare contributions). What about that was so unacceptable?

This whole this is garbage for a number of reasons. But the first is, it doesn't matter WHAT the MTA offers or how close it is to what the Unions are demanding. There is no such thing as negotiation here. It's their way, or strike.

Secondly, the Unions know that the strike doesn't impact the MTA nearly as much as it impacts its riders. Buckthedog said it himself later in the thread - they're calling on US to get our Governor involved. Because their Union voice isn't loud enough. They WANTED this strike to happen and anyone who believes any differently is BLIND. And they KNOW that more money for them results in more money out of riders' pockets. There's never been any doubt about this. No one at the MTA says, "Okay sure, we'll just take paycuts to give the union workers more money."

I know you can't compare union jobs to non-union jobs, but what kills me is none of this would ever fly in a non-union job. There's just no such thing as these demands with NO compromise. It's not real life. And by the way, let's just say the Unions by some miracle didn't get their way, how many people would realistically quit their LIRR jobs? NONE OF THEM. Because there isn't a better deal around! So, the strike becomes their only negotiating tool, because they'd be fools to give up what they have - DESPITE the fact that they want more.

Ugh, I wish we could fire every single person that walked off their jobs. Let the people who stay keep their jobs and even get raises. Then NO ONE would strike. But can't do that, because there's no such thing as competition in the union world. Everyone is equal... except the customer.

UN-EFFING-REAL.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
people allowed to work from home?
people who live next to train lines?
those that own parking garages in the city?
someone looking for a reason to fire a certain employee who spends all day on city data?
Yeah but the strike effects everyone even the people who work on LI.

People who can work from home maybe wont be affected but now anyone driving has to deal with busier roads than usual a) from the busses and b) from all the ppl who will now have to attempt to drive to Manhattan.

The strike isnt good for anyone.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 PM

413 posts, read 599,299 times
Quote:
You want to make an omelette ya gotta break a few eggs.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:44 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
From the office of NY Senator Carl Marcellino:

Quote:
Dear Neighbor:

Back in May, as it became glaringly obvious that normal negotiations were going nowhere, I first wrote Governor Cuomo to request that he intervene and help broker a deal between the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) and the Transit Workers Union (TWU) (and others).

In early June, I had my first of two face to face meetings with MTA Chairman Thomas Prendergast to discuss the status of the negotiations and to detail my serious belief that any strike, regardless of the duration, would have a devastating effect on Long Island commuters and our economy.

In early July, I met with the lead union negotiator Anthony Simon to discuss the negotiation status from their point of view.

Just last week, my Long Island Senate colleagues and I joined together to again call on Governor Cuomo to step in, bring both sides together and avert a strike. In response, the Governor has said that these negotiations are a Federal issue and completely out of his hands. He believes it is up to Congress to address the current contract impasse.

I disagree with the Governor’s decision to stay on the sidelines and sit this one out. I recognize the challenge he faces in bringing two entrenched sides together after months of heated and often contentious negotiations, but he should try. Long Islanders deserve his best effort.

Now with only 11 days till the beginning of a potential strike, the MTA’s best advice to commuters is to stay home. That is simply outrageous and not realistic option for most of the 300,000 riders who need the trains to get to work.

Today Chairman Prendergast chooses to leave the negotiation table in favor of a lobbying trip to Washington DC. After that meeting today Newsday reported:

“After Prendergast met for nearly an hour with six U.S. representatives from New York, Rep. Charles Rangel (D-Harlem) said, "At this time, Congress is not an option." In the case of continuing deadlock as the strike deadline nears, Rangel added, "There is no room at all to speculate about what could happen" in Congress.

The six House members said they demanded that both the MTA and the eight LIRR unions return to the table Thursday -- and that the unions present a counteroffer.

Rep. Steve Israel (D-Huntington) said the delegation members demanded that both sides get back to the table and negotiate every day until the deadline.

Rep. Peter King (R-Seaford) said it would be a big mistake for either the MTA or the LIRR unions to anticipate Congress will be involved.

"This is a state responsibility," King said, adding he doesn't want lawmakers from Arkansas and Mississippi writing work rules for the LIRR.”

I couldn’t agree more.

In these situations, it is my experience that if there is a will, there is a way. Both sides need to make concessions, find a solution and do it before a strike, not after. Compromise is king in negotiations; the MTA and TWU would be wise to remember this fact.

As a State Senator, I wish there was a legislative solution within my power to step in and force a fair settlement. Unfortunately, I am limited to using my voice to urge any and all parties to remember the commuters and residents of Long Island that will be hurt by a strike. There is still time to prevent this crisis. I call on both sides to do just that.

Sincerely,

Carl L. Marcellino

Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Haven't read any of the other posts but check this out (I'm sure this won't be surprising to many):

I commute daily to/from Penn. The train is typically on time both ways give or take a few minutes. I think the latest it's ever been has been 5 minutes.

Well, since Monday:

Leaving Penn: We were "held" and didn't actually leave Penn until 6 or 7 minutes after we should have and got to the last stop 16 minutes late (Monday)

Tuesday: Same BS. Got to the last stop about 14 minutes late.

Today: This morning, there was a "disabled train" in front of us and we got to Penn 13 minutes late. Leaving Penn this evening? They didn't even close the doors on our train until 7 minutes AFTER we should have been out of Penn. Then, surprise surprise, we got "held" just before Jamaica and had to sit there and wait. Ticket taker never bothered coming around to check anyone's tickets (good, I hope some non-commuters got to keep their $14.75!!)

You just KNOW it's the LIRR employees doing this crap on purpose. Do they think the public is going to side with them against the MTA when they pull this garbage???? How about treating the passengers/customers well and we would have their backs in their fight against the MTA? Imbeciles. They think that screwing around, getting people to work late and making them late getting home is going to make the MTA give into their crazy demands???

Old 07-09-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Haven't read any of the other posts but check this out (I'm sure this won't be surprising to many):

I commute daily to/from Penn. The train is typically on time both ways give or take a few minutes. I think the latest it's ever been has been 5 minutes.

Well, since Monday:

Leaving Penn: We were "held" and didn't actually leave Penn until 6 or 7 minutes after we should have and got to the last stop 16 minutes late (Monday)

Tuesday: Same BS. Got to the last stop about 14 minutes late.

Today: This morning, there was a "disabled train" in front of us and we got to Penn 13 minutes late. Leaving Penn this evening? They didn't even close the doors on our train until 7 minutes AFTER we should have been out of Penn. Then, surprise surprise, we got "held" just before Jamaica and had to sit there and wait. Ticket taker never bothered coming around to check anyone's tickets (good, I hope some non-commuters got to keep their $14.75!!)

You just KNOW it's the LIRR employees doing this crap on purpose. Do they think the public is going to side with them against the MTA when they pull this garbage???? How about treating the passengers/customers well and we would have their backs in their fight against the MTA? Imbeciles. They think that screwing around, getting people to work late and making them late getting home is going to make the MTA give into their crazy demands???
My train was "cancelled and combined" coming home today.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:
My train was "cancelled and combined" coming home today.

Seriously?? What about their new thing of putting the trains on different tracks than they're usually on. How annoying!!! My train is usually on 18 or 21. The other day, it was on 17... yesterday, I forget the track but it wasn't the normal one and we had to wait for the other train to leave (LATE) before our train could even pull into the station.

The LIRR workers are absolutely doing this intentionally! I hope that, if they do strike, everyone will tell them to buzz off once they're back working and come around asking for tickets. IF everyone tells them "buzz off, we're not paying" What can they do??? Get everyone arrested?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island