Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 AM

413 posts, read 598,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
I don't see how this can be true. They're protected by the law - they can't be fired for striking. So, they go on strike, maybe lose a couple of days' pay and then come back to their raises that will get pushed through eventually at the expense of the taxpayers.

What the union is doing is a complete assault on taxpayers and riders. MORE MORE MORE, knowing that what they were offered was pretty close to what they demanded AND knowing that their raises will be funded almost entirely by increased fares and taxes. Don't forget the multi-billion dollar disability fraud that 1000 of their colleagues participated in.

Maybe their pay and raises should be directly proportionate to the income increases for the people that ride the train? Those would be some interesting numbers to see.

I get the anger and hysteria and am sick of public unions and how far the pendulum has swung in their favor. If not for such a climate of abuse the 2.83% per year wouldn't be that big a deal, but after rampant disability and pension abuses, refusal to contribute to health insurance and general crappy service and high prices, everyone is too angry to work together. That said, the guys I know make $40-$60k and "a couple of day's pay" (the fear is a lot longer than that) is a problem. They aren't going to go against their union but the image of these Braveheart like avengers wielding axes in 1 hand and grill tongs in the other is silly. Most of them are low level guys, sticking with their union but just wanting the whole thing to be done with. A few weeks pay is the mortgage. I can relate to that. It's not like the MTA is a bastion of integrity either.

Frankly, I'm still more angry that my kids kindergarten teacher makes $125k for 10 months and can't be bothered to proofread handouts but now the LIRR debacle has sandblasted that out of our collective brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 10:51 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Anyone know when the verdict will be in for todays talks? I hope they meet everyday until 7/20. I kind of feel like no one really cares to help. Cuomo & congress have washed their hands of it. So now who else is there thats on our side?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Anyone know when the verdict will be in for todays talks? I hope they meet everyday until 7/20. I kind of feel like no one really cares to help. Cuomo & congress have washed their hands of it. So now who else is there thats on our side?
Its gonna come down to the last second of the contract. Its a cat and mouse game between both sides, and we are stuck in the middle.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Where does one get the N4?
It runs along Merrick Road from the Freeport LIRR station to Jamaica Center. If you go to NICE's website, you can find out where the n4X (the express variant) stops along Merrick Road.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
to be frank, NICE can't handle the even 1/4 of the LIRR daily riders.....NICE can barely even handle the current riders as it stands.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
The reason the MTA exists is because the 'privatized' lines all went bankrupt. Privatization is not the answer.
I realize privatizing MTA is a pipe dream. Overhauling the MTA would be a massive feat on its own.

I still remember when a MTA LIB bus driver said the Nassau bus is going down the toilet when NICE was about to take over. At the end, the driver was biased.

NICE took over MTA LIB...fast fwd now...In my personal opinion, its still as bad as MTA was running it. The difference is that Veiola is doing it for FAR less $$$. Frankly, I don't even blame NICE for the awful service.. Buses are break down because Mangano isn't putting a lot of money maintaining the bus. Also it seems like the MTA farebox a questionable mess as well.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
There were leaflets left on the seats in my train this morning with advice from the LIRR should there be a strike.

Their advice? Don't go to work.

There really isn't a realistic way to make it into the city.
Seriously? Staying at home is one option. It also suggests stay with friends in the city, discuss telecommuting with your employer, changing hours with your employer, carpooling... Use existing bus service..... Do I need to go on? I love how people love to leave all the details out to make things sound worse.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM

429 posts, read 852,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Seriously? Staying at home is one option. It also suggests stay with friends in the city, discuss telecommuting with your employer, changing hours with your employer, carpooling... Use existing bus service..... Do I need to go on? I love how people love to leave all the details out to make things sound worse.
I don't really want to hear from the LIRR all the ways I should ask my manager to let me keep my job while the strike is happening. Frankly , they have no business suggesting I ask my manager if I can change my hours.

What I want from them is to know how they are going to supplement the stopped service due to the stalled negotiations. Don't tell me to crash with friends or discuss telecommuting with my boss - tell me how you're going to do what you can to get me to work when I need to get there.

That leaflet is a joke and an insult to my intelligence.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
It runs along Merrick Road from the Freeport LIRR station to Jamaica Center. If you go to NICE's website, you can find out where the n4X (the express variant) stops along Merrick Road.
Oh thanks!

Sounds like a nightmare

Old 07-10-2014, 01:57 PM

So I find it funny how how everyone complains about how bad the lirr is...and now everyone is in a panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island