Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 07:01 AM

413 posts, read 599,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Haven't read any of the other posts but check this out (I'm sure this won't be surprising to many):

I commute daily to/from Penn. The train is typically on time both ways give or take a few minutes. I think the latest it's ever been has been 5 minutes.

Well, since Monday:

Leaving Penn: We were "held" and didn't actually leave Penn until 6 or 7 minutes after we should have and got to the last stop 16 minutes late (Monday)

Tuesday: Same BS. Got to the last stop about 14 minutes late.

Today: This morning, there was a "disabled train" in front of us and we got to Penn 13 minutes late. Leaving Penn this evening? They didn't even close the doors on our train until 7 minutes AFTER we should have been out of Penn. Then, surprise surprise, we got "held" just before Jamaica and had to sit there and wait. Ticket taker never bothered coming around to check anyone's tickets (good, I hope some non-commuters got to keep their $14.75!!)

You just KNOW it's the LIRR employees doing this crap on purpose. Do they think the public is going to side with them against the MTA when they pull this garbage???? How about treating the passengers/customers well and we would have their backs in their fight against the MTA? Imbeciles. They think that screwing around, getting people to work late and making them late getting home is going to make the MTA give into their crazy demands???
Wow, strange conspiracy. When I took the LIRR it was late at least once per week in nice weather. Heavy rain or snow and fugghedaboutit. Don't know what magic trains you were on but not mine.

Far from an apologist for these shnooks but have some friends that work for LIRR and most are scrambling working as many hours as possible for fear of the oncoming strike. The "conspiracy" of delays and track changes are due to the capital projects that get ramped up in the summer, not employee sabotage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 AM

429 posts, read 853,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Right...no raises. But they do get "bonuses". Basically a raise.
WHO gets bonuses?! That is such a generic statement that it doesn't even apply. I'm sorry, but the people giving themselves bonuses are NOT LIRR riders. They have car services taking them in and out of Manhattan OR they live in Manhattan.

I was just speaking with a 55 year old man at one of my clients who hasn't received a raise in 10 years. 10 YEARS!! This is not as unheard of as you would like to believe, either.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
What's the closest Jamaica subway station we could drive to from mid-Nassau? Convenient to Lex and 60th area.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
What's the closest Jamaica subway station we could drive to from Nassau?
Jamaica-179th Street on Hillside Avenue. There's quite a few busses that run from Nassau to there too.

Technically the Far Rockaway station is the furthest east, but I'm assuming you were referring to mainland Long Island.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Good question, although you do NOT vote on school district employee contracts.
True, but I am proposing that when contract negotiations fail between the two parties, a third party negotiator would be warranted.

To me, a strike should NOT occur. A strike occurs when traditional negotiation methods fail. So, maybe it's time to change traditional negotiation methods. I'm totally in favor of the government NOT getting involved. Let the people decide!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:27 AM

413 posts, read 599,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
True, but I am proposing that when contract negotiations fail between the two parties, a third party negotiator would be warranted.

To me, a strike should NOT occur. A strike occurs when traditional negotiation methods fail. So, maybe it's time to change traditional negotiation methods. I'm totally in favor of the government NOT getting involved. Let the people decide!

Ditto, these dumbells just need to compromise. Get their raise, take a 2% hit to medical. Whoop dee doo. Where's my million dollar consulting fee for that brilliant solution?!

Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,819 times
There were leaflets left on the seats in my train this morning with advice from the LIRR should there be a strike.

Their advice? Don't go to work.

There really isn't a realistic way to make it into the city.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:40 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
There were leaflets left on the seats in my train this morning with advice from the LIRR should there be a strike.

Their advice? Don't go to work.

There really isn't a realistic way to make it into the city.
I agree, there isn't.

They had to waste the money on those leaflets huh?

Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I agree, there isn't.

They had to waste the money on those leaflets huh?
Buckthedog, I think you've done a really good job of answering everyone's questions calmly and even civilly arguing with people who have spoken out against the union, but you're also really trying to shift the blame almost entirely onto the MTA.

I think when even the public is calling on the union to make some concessions (what the MTA proposed most recently is NOT a bad deal), it's not really the union's place to fight harder for their demands. The public is the one using and paying for the service - if we're not in support of union members not having to contribute to their healthcare, why would we be in support of them striking to get their way anyhow?

Yet, the MTA printing leaflets to inform their passengers is a "waste"? Come on.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:01 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Ditto, these dumbells just need to compromise. Get their raise, take a 2% hit to medical. Whoop dee doo. Where's my million dollar consulting fee for that brilliant solution?!
Why should they compromise? I think the union sees it this way:

The public is little more than freight, and has no voice at the negotiating table. The MTA has its own corruption problems, and does not represent the public in a proactive way.

They can strike legally after 7/21. They'll miss a few days of pay until unemployment kicks in. When it does, they'll be paid to sit at home and barbecue on the patio. When that's over, they're getting a raise.

Fares keep climbing and service declines, but the public pays anyway. The RR is a monopoly and they have no choice.

The public already hates the RR and both sides. But does this matter? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island