Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 04:46 AM

116 posts, read 172,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplelovexp View Post
We are about to purchase a home in Bellmore near the LIRR, the town seems very nice and quiet, but any thoughts about the area right by the LIRR at night? Is it safe to walk at night? As I get off work quit late close to midnights
Not much has changed since 2016, yeah you're good walking the mean streets of bellmore after midnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 07:07 AM

193 posts, read 271,315 times
Bellmore is perfectly fine. Even the laughable "scary" area by the mosque is getting some new development. New gas station on corner, empty convenience store has been removed, Library is expanding, etc.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Since you have kids I will say focus South of Sunrise. Not sure if you are interested in a home on the water. But there are lots that are not on the water.Your budget is low for a decent place South of Merrick Rd. Unless you want a real fixer-upper.

Try to focus on the areas between Merrick & Sunrise. North - South. South of Sunrise in Merrick & Bellmore are zoned for Kennedy HS. North or Sunrise Merrick & Bellmore are zoned for Calhoun. And Bellmore Ave. to Newbridge Ave. East-West for that price range.IMHO those are the best areas. I know a home that friend is now working on to sell arounds August. He purchased many Sandy damaged homes is repairing them & then selling &/or Renting them.

AS for commute time. If you plan to use LIRR most of the areas I told you about you can either walk to the LIRR. Or bike,cab,Uber,taxi to train. OR have someone drop you off. 2 people on our block car pool to station. They also have parking stickers showing they live in town.

South of Sunrise looks nicer basically because that is where the waterfront home are. Those people usually have more dollars & keep up with the appearances of their properties. As for avoid. Try to stay clear of the area around Newbridge Rd. where it meets with Bellmore Ave. Feel free to PM me for more info. I am not a realtor. But I know Bellmore very well.
Nowhere in Bellmore is zoned for Calhoun. North of Sunrise is Mepham.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:06 AM

Bellmore is a good spot - north, south, anywhere. I've never had an incident at night. Just be vigilant & keep your guard up like you would anywhere else. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:02 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Nowhere in Bellmore is zoned for Calhoun. North of Sunrise is Mepham.
The boundary is Linden and Wilson, not Sunrise.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:04 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplelovexp View Post
We are about to purchase a home in Bellmore near the LIRR, the town seems very nice and quiet, but any thoughts about the area right by the LIRR at night? Is it safe to walk at night? As I get off work quit late close to midnights
We're a few blocks from the LIRR in Bellmore. I wouldn't worry too much.
The worst I've seen in the few years we've been here are inconsiderate neighbors shooting off fireworks late at night.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:42 PM

116 posts, read 172,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
We're a few blocks from the LIRR in Bellmore. I wouldn't worry too much.
The worst I've seen in the few years we've been here are inconsiderate neighbors shooting off fireworks late at night.
Hi neighbor. Those fireworks guys are the worst. Snow doesnt even stop them!

Old 08-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
The boundary is Linden and Wilson, not Sunrise.
Ok, my mistake. Did they re-zone?

Anyway some poster incorrectly said North Bellmore goes to Calhoun. North Bellmore goes to Mepham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island