Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2022, 08:28 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahha hahahhahahah

Pretty sure people have had all of those in their cars since cars were invented...and yet the evil boogey man vax hasn't moved the needle at all. See what I did there..."moved the needle." Dang, still got it! ha cha cha!
Frankly, I have a difficult time saying the anti-vaccers are, not wrong, but right in denying the federal government a say in their healthcare.

BUT, by now the docs know that the Covid vaccines don't eliminate Covid but do give overwhelming good results against those few that get sick from the shots. So those who don't get the shots are playing the numbers game, hoping not to contract Covid. And if they do, according to what I read, 20% don't survive it.
So it seems to me to be a form of suicide.

So what. Its their decision. No. Not true. Both in law and religion, suicide is a crime or the greatest sin.

So I have been bringing food to a 91 year old woman in my building, and providing her with some company since she has outlived everyone is knew. She tells me that she goes to church every Sunday which is nice. Then she says that she hasn't taken the Covid shots since "she is waiting for God to take me."

So for those who want to throw their health to the wind don't infect others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 08:33 AM

2,438 posts, read 1,215,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I think that covers most of it.
I concur

Old 01-07-2022, 08:54 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,450 times
Get ready for Flu-Rona!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-flu-symptoms/

Old 01-07-2022, 09:28 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Frankly, I have a difficult time saying the anti-vaccers are, not wrong, but right in denying the federal government a say in their healthcare.

BUT, by now the docs know that the Covid vaccines don't eliminate Covid but do give overwhelming good results against those few that get sick from the shots. So those who don't get the shots are playing the numbers game, hoping not to contract Covid. And if they do, according to what I read, 20% don't survive it.

So what. Its their decision. No. Not true. Both in law and religion, suicide is a crime or the greatest sin.

So I have been bringing food to a 91 year old woman in my building, and providing her with some company since she has outlived everyone is knew. She tells me that she goes to church every Sunday which is nice. Then she says that she hasn't taken the Covid shots since "she is waiting for God to take me."

So for those who want to throw their health to the wind don't infect others.

That number is clearly not accurate. 20% death rate is like the first SARs from the a decade ago. Even the initial strain of covid the negative outcomes were nothing close to that.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:31 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
Still plenty of evidence coming out that the unvaccinated are experiencing worse outcomes and more severe illness than the vaccinated. Just saw an article out of NC today that 100% of their COVID-19 patients on ventilators are unvaccinated, and their hospitals are nearing or are at capacity.

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/nc-...tors/20065686/
From the article cited it's not possible to draw the conclusion of whether or not "100% of vent patients are unvaxxed". You just have to take their word for it.

I call BS on that statement.

Why?

One of the largest healthcare providers in the US, here in the metro area (Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, the five boroughs), has at present:
~40% of Covid patients are vaxxed
~32% of Covid patients in the ICU are vaxxed
~30% of Covid patients who are on a vent are vaxxed.

I find it difficult to believe that outcomes between large healthcare providers would be demonstrably different given they are all using the same standards of care.

The primary issue of comparing hospitalizations between unvaxxed/vaxxed is you don't know the demographics of the hospitalized groups. Is the patient population of the vaxxed younger than the unvaxxed population? less comorbidities?

The articles that are typically cited to support the vaxxed/unvaxxed outcomes disparity never describe the patient populations.

Old 01-07-2022, 02:31 PM

186 posts, read 67,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
Wrong, we had HCQ, and Ivermectin. But no money in that.

Also our Public Health officials should have been telling everyone to up their Vitamin D and Zinc Quercetin intake, but no money and glory in that.
There's actually growing evidence that many of these treatments aren't very effective:

https://scitechdaily.com/researchers...-for-covid-19/

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020...7711604934110/

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...event-covid-19

https://www.mcgill.ca/newsroom/chann...ggested-331358

https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com...21-00744-y.pdf

Old 01-07-2022, 03:05 PM

186 posts, read 67,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
The primary issue of comparing hospitalizations between unvaxxed/vaxxed is you don't know the demographics of the hospitalized groups. Is the patient population of the vaxxed younger than the unvaxxed population? less comorbidities?

The articles that are typically cited to support the vaxxed/unvaxxed outcomes disparity never describe the patient populations.
That is a good point, but generally the data I've seen that controls for age groups and comorbidities still shows better outcomes for vaccinated individuals although there does appear to be greater breakthrough cases in the more at-risk populations.

This article actually goes into quite a lot of detail on demographic characteristics amongst vaccinated and unvaccinated hospitalized COVID patients if you're interested:

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...gh-infections/

Old 01-07-2022, 03:53 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
No one is "afraid" of the vax, that's reductivism nonsense. We've just done a risk/reward analysis and determined that it's not right for everyone and should not be compulsory. If you're in a risk group, go for it. I've been vaccinated against nearly everything else, including some nasty vaccines that are necessary for overseas travel to s-hole countries. I even support mandatory vaccination for diseases that have safe, proven, sterilizing vaccines available, as do the vast, vast majority of people.
Many people are AFRAID of the vax... there's no way you can justify "no one" (sic) is afraid of it.

The level of risk AND reward are both completely subjective... it's not some specific quantitative analysis that an actuary did... we ALL are doing a risk/reward analysis based on the info we have... there is not some special formula that you have access to.

Quote:
Very little of us being "right" has anything to do with the new variant. Here's a short list of some of the things the "experts" got wrong:
We, as opposed to your us, all have gotten things right... it's not me versus you or us versus them... I mean sure, it seems that way because of your entire approach to this subject... constantly wailing and screeching about the latest tidbit of what some "expert" said is counterproductive... have the brains to filter out the garbage that is meaningless.

This list... I'm not sure if you typed it out or copy/pasted it from somewhere... I did read the entire list, though... but, man it is confusing as it seems to switch perspectives... based on your intro, everything in this list are things that "experts" said and you've proven wrong? and by "short" that doesn't seem right... I'm mostly confused because the list veers off into ranting and even has caveats in (), which is odd when you're trying to represent something proven wrong... it's also disingenuous using some things that were said very early when nobody really knew what was going on... and to top if off, many of these things were proven wrong by "experts"... so I guess some "experts" are better than others... not really sure... then you got into your true colors making it political at the end... you know, because things are so much different today compared to a few years ago when the other party controlled all branches of government... you just make yourself look brainwashed by social media.

The rants aside, the last paragraph really brings it home... nailed it... if the CDSers spent a mere fraction of the effort "proving expert wrongs" into constructive dialogue on what can be done, we all would be in a better place... but that's no fun because you, the "experts", both sides of the argument... nobody has all the answers... but, let's hope you get "pay back" because you had it right from the beginning... let's hope you can tell us what happens next.

Quote:
- The virus is airborne and doesn't spread via surfaces
- Asymptomatic spread is mostly nonsense
- Lockdowns are ineffective
- Masking, particularly cloth masking, is ineffective
- School closures accomplish nothing
- "Social distancing" does nothing, particularly indoors
- Combatting a pandemic includes imploring the populace to take steps to improve their own health, which includes losing weight and taking basic supplements
- Children are not at risk save a fleeting number of very ill children
- The rare instances of police killing black people are not more important than public health
- This is predominately a disease that affects the very old and infirm; for most it's just the flu, bro - and by serious orders of magnitude - the very old are something like TEN THOUSAND times more likely to die than younger people
- Rushing the production and testing of an experimental vaccine is foolish, as is insulating companies like Pfizer, a quasi-criminal organization that has paid billions in fines, from liability for the vaccines
- Vaccine passports are useless
- Vaccines don't stop the spread
- Vaccines don't stop you from getting the virus
- Vaccines don't stop you from being hospitalized (though they may reduce the risk)
- Vaccines don't stop you from dying (though they may reduce the risk)
- Vaccinating children is borderline criminal - they face a higher risk of complications from the vaccines than the virus itself
- A certain percentage of the population will not get vaccinated no matter how much you coerce them
- Hospitals will happily take billions in federal aid, not add a single ICU bed, and lay off hundreds of thousands of workers who mostly already had Covid just for politics, and then complain that they are "filled up"
- Ventilators are mostly useless to save lives from this virus and should be avoided
- Even during the worst of the pandemic in March 2020 in NYC, save one hospital, they never "filled up", and the field/naval hospitals sent up went mostly unused so that the local hospitals could pocked the huge federal payments for each Covid patient they treated
- You can't vaccinate your way out of a coronavirus, they mutate too quickly, and administering 4+ shots in a year like Israel for marginal benefits is not a sound strategy
- Also, because viruses mutate, the efficacy of the vaccines drops off quickly, and unless you constantly reformulate it for new variants, it is rendered useless once the virus is significantly different (ala Omicron)
- Original antigenic sin is a real and very serious reason to stop jabbing people with a vaccine designed for the original (Wuhan) virus variant - the vaxxed and boosted are now potentially at higher risk from further mutations such as Omicron, since their immune systems are trained to fight a different virus
- There has been zero focus on therapeutic treatments, including EUA-approved treatments such as monoclonal antibodies, which most people don't even know exist, and which have been used as a political football by the Biden admin to "punish" red states
- The media cannot be trusted to not spent 24/7 scaring the crap out of everyone for something that, at the end of the day, is not nearly as dangerous as they make it out to be
- There are very real and serious impacts of treating this like the black plague on businesses, restaurants, mental health, drug abuse, suicides, children with disabilities, children from disadvantaged backgrounds,
- The "laptop class" (IE white collar cube workers that can work from home while the working class schleps them groceries and booze) shouldn't be allowed to dictate lockdown policy
- Politicizing the response to a pandemic to help unseat a US President and cast blame on the other side will quickly spiral out of control and result in deep division

That's just off the top of my head. Covid was mismanaged from the start, and continues to be today. While everyone should be happy that Omicron is mild, that has nothing to do with two years of utter failure on the part of our leaders.

Old 01-07-2022, 05:06 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post

WUT? 20%? (No wonder some folks like the ‘shot mom’ are freaked if they buy that crazy number.)

The same folks who faced little or no serious risk when infected with Covid (under 65 and generally healthy) are still in that category. Vaxxed or not vaxxed.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:29 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Finally after 2 years some real numbers are being released. And it’s what many have been saying all all along.

https://nypost.com/2022/01/07/many-n...other-reasons/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island