Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2022, 08:26 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The poasters here... it's so funny. Blind leading the blind... and congratulating each other about it.

It's fair to say that the scientists are still trying to figure out the actual science... but, just because you "believe" a scientist or a general science concept about the 19, doesn't mean you don't have an argument... Sure, it's easy when all you have to do is declare something wrong to be right... that's easy peasey... I mean, I could take the lazy way out and just spend my time ranting and screeching about how X and Y are WRONG... I would feel smarter I guess... but what does that get us?

I struggle to see what you feel the "right thing to do" is... you seem more reasonable than the other CDSers whose entire answer is "do nothing" and post after post about how people are wrong and crazy... that's all they offer.
As much as the raving right wing side takes the "one thing is wrong so everything is wrong" approach, the left has put nearly holy emphasis on the likes of Fauci, and on the vaccines themselves, to the point of boosting kids who are at almost zero risk from the current variant. .

That has proven..and will continue to be further proven..to be a mistake. The vaccines have been proven to be a therapeutic and a short term one at that. Fauci intentionally squashed the lab leak theory and continues to lie about his role in what looks like an obvious narrative ship that wreaks of a corverup when you look at the FOI e-mails released. His lying further erodes confidence in authorities. It just adds fuel to the right wing conspiracy fire that this was an intentional release and that he was behind it as were all other people in power. He needs to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 10:03 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,143,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's fair to say that the scientists are still trying to figure out the actual science... but, just because you "believe" a scientist or a general science concept about the 19, doesn't mean you don't have an argument... Sure, it's easy when all you have to do is declare something wrong to be right... that's easy peasey... I mean, I could take the lazy way out and just spend my time ranting and screeching about how X and Y are WRONG... I would feel smarter I guess... but what does that get us?

I struggle to see what you feel the "right thing to do" is... you seem more reasonable than the other CDSers whose entire answer is "do nothing" and post after post about how people are wrong and crazy... that's all they offer.
It does if "follow the science" is your only argument, on either side. The right thing to do, in my experience and opinion, is to not triple down on things that don't work, which is what many politicians are currently doing. I was OK with early responses to COVID in 2020 when most didn't know what would work and what wouldn't (though a lot of it was pulled out of the air), but now we know a lot more through experience if not actual numbers (it could take years to get the data into a place where it is actually useful) and need to start doing more of what works and ditch what didn't. But that could create a "crisis" of politicians and experts not being able to "do something". One problem we're seeing now though is that the guys who were in the "do something" crowd actually created the problem where their "somethings" were wrong and now many people doubt what anyone, who might be an actual expert with something that might be effective, has to say.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:15 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,407 times

lol. lmao.

Old 01-13-2022, 12:32 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post

lol. lmao.
No surprise, the states that vaccinated early and often don't have the protection afforded by natural immunity.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:45 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,663,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
That sort of slide is very very confusing to folks who were tricked into believing the vaccine would 'stop the spread'. They're likely thoroughly perplexed as to why we had vax mandates and vax passports if fully vaccinated folks routinely get and spread Covid. Hmmmmm.
The vax mandate and vax passport supporters will never be thoroughly perplexed because those positions have now become part of their ideology, it's not about science, logic or rights, it's about beliefs. No matter how many times they are told by science the vaccinated can spread Covid they just don't comprehend the inherent logical inconsistency between that scientific fact and enforcing vaccinations.

7/20/2021
The masking recommendation was updated to ensure the vaccinated public would not unknowingly transmit virus to others, including their unvaccinated or immunocompromised loved ones.

7/30/2021
Vaccinated People With Breakthrough Infections Can Spread The Delta Variant, CDC Says

1/10/2022
CDC Director Rochelle Walensky: “Our vaccines are working exceptionally well … but what they can’t do anymore is prevent transmission.”

Old 01-13-2022, 02:31 PM

186 posts, read 67,522 times
How effective were the vaccines at preventing transmission before Delta and Omicron? I have not seen any data on it so I am genuinely curious.

Old 01-13-2022, 03:55 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
How effective were the vaccines at preventing transmission before Delta and Omicron? I have not seen any data on it so I am genuinely curious.
Purely my speculation:

The vaccine (DEC 2020) was designed to act as a flu vaccine (you can certainly get infected and spread but you should not die of the flu if vaccinated)

Folks/media did not grasp that and thought the vax would stop the spread (this confusion also explains the wrong-headed vax mandates and vax passports as well as the odd blame aimed at those who didn’t think this particular vaccine was necessary given their risk).

In ADDITION the vax waned (withing a few months in many cases) allowing more and more infections/spread. (while still averting death)

IMHO Delta ( BEGINNING HERE JUNE- JULY 2021) and Omicron were not good matches for the vax (and thus infection and spread were even more common). While still averting death.

(FWIW, one has to remember the vast majority of Americans are not at serious risk of death even if unvaccinated.)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-13-2022 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-13-2022, 05:42 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,077 times
Quote:

lol. lmao.
This chart is dumb. Your comparing major cities with high density, to smaller states with low density. It's skewed. While I agree the "vax" really isn't doing what we were all told, you can't compare major congested states to smaller ones.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:43 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
This chart is dumb. Your comparing major cities with high density, to smaller states with low density. It's skewed. While I agree the "vax" really isn't doing what we were all told, you can't compare major congested states to smaller ones.
It's per million people. And they're not unfair comparisons viz. density. Georgia, Indiana, Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama, etc. all have cities - often multiple cities - larger than anything in Vermont, Maine, or Connecticut, for example. Vermont and Maine don't have a single city that cracks 100k people.

In any event, that's the point - the vax isn't stopping transmission.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:35 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,704 times
Quote:
It's per million people. And they're not unfair comparisons viz. density. Georgia, Indiana, Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama, etc. all have cities - often multiple cities - larger than anything in Vermont, Maine, or Connecticut, for example. Vermont and Maine don't have a single city that cracks 100k people.

In any event, that's the point - the vax isn't stopping transmission.
And yet there are still a few befuddled folks blaming the unvaccinated for the spread of Covid. Perhaps they get their ‘news’ from the covid-alarmist outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island