Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2023, 09:47 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I'm not sure why you think that I believe natural gas will go somewhere anytime soon. I think it'll take decades at the very least for just Long Island alone, possibly centuries. I don't think red states will follow on bans, but I do think it's likely that a lot of communities in red states will not have gas lines run for various other reasons.
Ok, fair enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 09:58 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
yes i head there is already a lawsuit that may be filed saying that peoples freedom of expression is being repressed by forcing people to change how they cook food and its a supression of culture.

my concern is how much aquatic life is killed or disturbed because of building windfarms off shore
Not to mention the birds which will be maimed; shame on you for not thinking about the birds...

In other news, I find this incredible:

"... the Wyoming Legislature has drafted a resolution to phase out sales of new electric vehicles in the Cowboy State by 2035"

"...The resolution’s sponsor, Wyoming State Senator Jim Anderson, R-Casper, eludes that the intention of the proposal is to push back against bans on new sales of cars with internal combustion engines in states like California and New York."

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...icles-by-2035/

"How the world's largest landfill became New York's biggest new park"

"Also conspicuous is a feature that sets this place apart from Point Reyes, and pretty much every other natural environment. There are gas wells, submerged vaults topped with an exotic arrangement of pipes, valves, and tubes. These are part of a vast system designed to harvest the methane formed by decomposing trash, purify it, and pipe it to National Grid, the power company that then sells the gas to approximately 25,000 Staten Island households, earning the city some $12 million a year."

https://ny.curbed.com/2016/9/13/1289...neering-design

What is the City going to do if NYS prohibits natural gas appliances? Lost revenue, and what will they do with the methane that's collected? It's going to be a mess.

Old 01-18-2023, 10:01 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Not to mention the birds which will be maimed; shame on you for not thinking about the birds...

In other news, I find this incredible:

"... the Wyoming Legislature has drafted a resolution to phase out sales of new electric vehicles in the Cowboy State by 2035"

"...The resolution’s sponsor, Wyoming State Senator Jim Anderson, R-Casper, eludes that the intention of the proposal is to push back against bans on new sales of cars with internal combustion engines in states like California and New York."

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...icles-by-2035/
Wow! Might have found my new home.

Old 01-18-2023, 10:54 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
LOL sure you do. Im sure your rolodex is the who's who of the NYC Chef scene. And they all cook with electric SMH
Well, rolodexes are before my time, but yea, I do know probably a higher than average number of chefs and restauranteurs in NYC and in a few cities in East Asia and I count myself lucky for that. They definitely don't all cook with electric--that's not something I said nor is it true.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Well, rolodexes are before my time, but yea, I do know probably a higher than average number of chefs and restauranteurs in NYC and in a few cities in East Asia and I count myself lucky for that. They definitely don't all cook with electric--that's not something I said nor is it true.
HA! I figured you were in your 50's at least...

Old 01-18-2023, 11:30 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,707,021 times
Quote:
Yes, they can be forced into it, so I think it's good for there to be programs that mitigate some of that which is why I brought up the tax credit programs as well as financing. The tax credits are applicable to panel upgrades. There are tax credits for heat pumps, for solar panels, for battery storage systems. I understand there are qualms about the expenses and that makes sense, and so I think it also makes sense that there should be programs to make the transition easier. If the nation or the state is trying get collective work done forr emissions, public health, and what I argue is a good national security move, then I think it's good that they offer these programs. I think perhaps there's a question of whether or not they should be expanded further, though I think technological time, production learnings, and economies of scale will probably help take care of some of that. These programs though are helpful in the meantime and it's not like moving towards these things are purely all expenditure. They may have high upfront costs, but they can be worth it in costs over several years, and they generally add to the value of the home were you to not live in that home for the full payback period.

I also think there's perhaps a misremembering of statistics you've read. I recognized that number of 64% from an article back, but for the general population rather than the subset of homeowners. Is that a good thing? No, certainly not, but the stats overall in terms of are generally quite different, and while you certainly can be living paycheck to paycheck as a homeowner, it's generally far less likely. I agree though that this transition should be done with enough support so that it is not disastrous for a bunch of people. Rather, I think it should be done as a net boon.

As stated earlier, I came into this to let people know that there are tax credits available for panel upgrades and that you can finance these things. The panel upgrades are useful for multiple reasons, and they do add to the value of the home were you to sell it, so I think that's overall a good deal. It may not be something that everyone can take advantage of, though there is financing available for such things.

I see what you're talking about. You're saying that allowing density increases in one area will allow the population of NYS to grow and that's the reason why it's more net energy usage. I think the question then is, if you do not zone up and the people do not come to NYS or stay in NYS, then do the people just up and disappear or never get created? I don't think that's the case. Certainly that's not happening in North Carolina where they are definitely adding people and turning greenfield land into housing and oftentimes for not all that many people per mile of greenfield taken.

One thing that NYS has been surprisingly good at is the preservation of greenspace. Even NYC has added greenspace in the past decade with the most notable and largest of them the conversion of a massive landfill on Staten Island. There are a lot of other things that NYS does not do quite so well and the immediate post-WWII years of the 50s through the 90s which was when much of Long Island was developed wasn't so great in terms of greenfield conversion, but the last couple of decades has been better.

That's lacking in some context. What is the $25k figure for? Why are you installing it since supposedly this is only for when you're doing a major reconstruction or new development? If you're doing that, then why aren't you allowed to finance this?
My heat system breaks... its gas or oil. I have to replace it.... cost 7-8k. fine... but no.. now i have to get an electric heat pump... cost is 25k because I have to upgrade my electric service....

Old 01-18-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
My heat system breaks... its gas or oil. I have to replace it.... cost 7-8k. fine... but no.. now i have to get an electric heat pump... cost is 25k because I have to upgrade my electric service....
But tax credits! Incentives!!

What about efficiency and Mother Earth??!! Isn't that worth 25k?? Can't you just get loans??

Old 01-18-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
But tax credits! Incentives!!

What about efficiency and Mother Earth??!!
govt money is OUR MONEY! that jcp guy is out of his mind.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
govt money is OUR MONEY! that jcp guy is out of his mind.
A lot of posters on this thread are out of their minds.

Old 01-18-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Nah this is water on my Ma’s whirlpool stove…just enough to cook a bit of pasta for one. It takes ages upon ages to boil, longer than it does to cook and finish the dish. It was 19 min and change on that stupid thing. Lord help me if I need to cook anything like a whole bag of spaghetti…it’s pretty awful. Then, there’s MIL’s stove: old and weird…less than 1/4 turn to adjust flame so it’s nearly impossible to dial in, and it’s really hard for me to gauge by looking at the flame. I can’t leave wooden spoons up on the rim of the pan either, almost caught one on fire the first time. I guess having used electric basically all my life I’m just used to electric. Gas isn’t making me want to switch, at all, and the more I use it, the less I like it. Would I ban it? Naw. Now, gas heat I’m all onboard with.
Something is wrong with that appliance.. I could boil water that quantity with a BIC lighter faster than 20 mins.

Dollars to BTU, gas is more efficient and quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island