Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2023, 07:19 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,701,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Which is why I said there's a lot of confusion here on your part aside from just math. There's some bad math in there as well, as you had a range of 7-8 and then 3-4 which you then arbitrarily reduced to the top line value to get 12, so already that's bad. And then you chose that top line to add to either the 15 for geothermal or 7 for "electric" to get your number. However, you gave no explanation for why you needed to spend that 7-8k at first, then you called one geothermal in contrast to electric when geothermal is simply one kind of electric heat pump, and then you gave no explanation for why you geothermal is a reasonable option if you're already strapped for cash.

AGAIN, I sympathize with how tax credits aren't at point of sale. That makes sense which is why I asked if you have thought about turning to financing so that there is not a massive upfront cost. However, your response makes this even more confusing, because it calls into question whether or not you understand how the federal tax credits work. If you owe plenty of federal taxes, then a federal tax credit should almost certainly be applicable to you. It might be helpful if you explain how *you* imagine these federal tax credits work, because something seems odd here.
Its called using a worse case assumption......... 8+4 = 12.

WHY DO I WANT TO TAKE A LOAN FOR SOMETHING I DONT WANT BUT WOULD BE FORCED TO DO???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Which is why I said there's a lot of confusion here on your part aside from just math. There's some bad math in there as well, as you had a range of 7-8 and then 3-4 which you then arbitrarily reduced to the top line value to get 12, so already that's bad. And then you chose that top line to add to either the 15 for geothermal or 7 for "electric" to get your number. However, you gave no explanation for why you needed to spend that 7-8k at first, then you called one geothermal in contrast to electric when geothermal is simply one kind of electric heat pump, and then you gave no explanation for why you geothermal is a reasonable option if you're already strapped for cash.

AGAIN, I sympathize with how tax credits aren't at point of sale. That makes sense which is why I asked if you have thought about turning to financing so that there is not a massive upfront cost. However, your response makes this even more confusing, because it calls into question whether or not you understand how the federal tax credits work. If you owe plenty of federal taxes, then a federal tax credit should almost certainly be applicable to you. It might be helpful if you explain how *you* imagine these federal tax credits work, because something seems odd here.
Tax credit, you just owe less at the end of the year........ if you owe the feds 4K at the end of the year and you have 3k in credits, you still owe 1K. and had to upfront all the cost to buy before hand.

Stop pushing credits.... no one should be forced to do this... stop government from governing harder

Old 01-20-2023, 07:46 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Tax credit, you just owe less at the end of the year........ if you owe the feds 4K at the end of the year and you have 3k in credits, you still owe 1K. and had to upfront all the cost to buy before hand.

Stop pushing credits.... no one should be forced to do this... stop government from governing harder
Totally agree with your last line 100%. But just should clarify (before he inevitably runs his mouth and does himself) if you “owe” at the end of the year that just means you aren’t withholding enough from your paycheck which can easily be fixed so you can actually get the full credit paid out. But beyond that being forced to even have to get the credit (which frankly could be a drop in the bucket for many of total costs) to pay for something you neither need or want is the real issue here.

Last edited by peconic117; 01-20-2023 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-20-2023, 09:13 AM

297 posts, read 133,290 times
Quote:
Its called using a worse case assumption......... 8+4 = 12.

WHY DO I WANT TO TAKE A LOAN FOR SOMETHING I DONT WANT BUT WOULD BE FORCED TO DO???
Why don't you just repair your stove or gas appliances then? No loans, conversions or credits to be concerned about.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Totally agree with your last line 100%. But just should clarify (before he inevitably runs his mouth and does himself) if you “owe” at the end of the year that just means you aren’t withholding enough from your paycheck which can easily be fixed so you can actually get the full credit paid out. But beyond that being forced to even have to get the credit (which frankly could be a drop in the bucket for many of total costs) to pay for something you neither need or want is the real issue here.
I owe because I got screwed by the cap on SALT deductions. I could adjust my withholding, but this being LI, we need all the free cash on hand to pay for everything esp with Sleepy Joe inflation.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Why don't you just repair your stove or gas appliances then? No loans, conversions or credits to be concerned about.
A) because eventually it will be too old to repair and there will be no parts.... (This has already happened even with new stoves available)

B) why am I being forced to convert

Old 01-20-2023, 10:11 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
I owe because I got screwed by the cap on SALT deductions. I could adjust my withholding, but this being LI, we need all the free cash on hand to pay for everything esp with Sleepy Joe inflation.
Yep, totally get it.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:31 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
No problem on the mistake; it can happen to anyone and this topic's got a lot of people in it and meanders a bit
You're a gentleman, and it's appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
I'm sure they are going to love the $21.75 minimum wage coming their way too.
Please don't tell me this is coming to NYS? And then people will wonder why small businesses have shuttered, and why restaurants are charging astronomical prices.

Quote:
Because it's good for the economy: a niche will reap the windfall from the sale and installation of the technology, while home foreclosures will spike.

My question is: who will contribute to the tax base to fund all of these progressive initiatives?

Maybe NYS should raise the 1% sales tax on homeowners who sell, and leave the State. They're gonna need the money...the titanic is sinking.

Old 01-20-2023, 10:57 AM

983 posts, read 724,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Watch: if the State moves to ban gas, pizzeria's will turn towards the burning of wood, which will exacerbate the situation.
I can't imagine pizzerias burning wood will move the needle.

Old 01-20-2023, 09:21 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
I can't imagine pizzerias burning wood will move the needle.
That's the unfortunate thing: if pizzeria's wind up going to wood, in lieu of gas, they'll wind up polluting a lot more than if they had just stayed with gas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island