Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2023, 08:44 AM

297 posts, read 133,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
That's the unfortunate thing: if pizzeria's wind up going to wood, in lieu of gas, they'll wind up polluting a lot more than if they had just stayed with gas
What you are saying is impossible. But you make it sound as though its a fact. If you arent sure, just ask a question.

You dont convert gas to wood. Think about a Bakers pride pizza oven, large rectangular door, stacked on top of each other with 4 decks. How do you vent them? Or howndo you even monitor the wood? How does the fire get oxygen?

They can just change the oriface to a smaller one and use propane...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 09:49 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
What you are saying is impossible. But you make it sound as though its a fact. If you arent sure, just ask a question
You said that with a condescending tone.

Are you telling me that pizzeria's can't build wood ovens in their pizzeria's? You assumed that I meant that they would modify existing gas stoves to burn wood.

That's not what I implied; what I suggested is that if one cooking method is no longer available, pizzeria's might opt for something else. It's conceivable that some pizzeria's might shoulder the expense of migrating over to wood burning ovens, especially where the market permits in upper middle class areas.

Old 01-21-2023, 01:14 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,707,021 times
Quote:
What you are saying is impossible. But you make it sound as though its a fact. If you arent sure, just ask a question.

You dont convert gas to wood. Think about a Bakers pride pizza oven, large rectangular door, stacked on top of each other with 4 decks. How do you vent them? Or howndo you even monitor the wood? How does the fire get oxygen?

They can just change the oriface to a smaller one and use propane...
Cruella Deville wants to ban propane too

Old 01-21-2023, 09:49 PM

297 posts, read 133,484 times
Quote:
You said that with a condescending tone.

Are you telling me that pizzeria's can't build wood ovens in their pizzeria's? You assumed that I meant that they would modify existing gas stoves to burn wood.

That's not what I implied; what I suggested is that if one cooking method is no longer available, pizzeria's might opt for something else. It's conceivable that some pizzeria's might shoulder the expense of migrating over to wood burning ovens, especially where the market permits in upper middle class areas.

It was not meant to be condescending. Genuinely, asking you to play out that thought, especially if you are not sure.

What you said may be true but thats not what your statement implies... "more than if they stayed" suggest a conversion and the they is Pizzaria's...personal pronoun was used instead of, the govt or the state - to differentiate.

Net new Pizzarias adopting wood, wouldnt make much if any difference to pollution. And as the chart showed wood is much more expensive. Takes like 4 to 6 hours to heat up a wood oven. Thats labor, fuel, additional payroll taxes and space.

More importantly, wood burning ovens are only good for Neopolitan or 1 min cooks not NY style pizza or any other Pizza that takes a few mins. The temps are too high, which is why electric would be the sole option for the majority.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:54 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Quote:
It was not meant to be condescending.
No worries

Quote:
More importantly, wood burning ovens are only good for Neopolitan or 1 min cooks not NY style pizza or any other Pizza that takes a few mins. The temps are too high, which is why electric would be the sole option for the majority.
That's an excellent point, one that I had not thought of.

Now I am stumped about what would be a reasonable alternative to gas.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:58 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
No worries

That's an excellent point, one that I had not thought of.

Now I am stumped about what would be a reasonable alternative to gas.
I guess since electric is my baseline, and wood is sort of the preferred and “ooh la la” thing for baking a pizza, I just…don’t think about gas. I don’t like using gas for baking or cooking.

Old 01-22-2023, 05:41 AM

31,919 posts, read 26,999,286 times
There is nothing illegal about wood fired ovens on LI to make pizza or anything else. Tons of places sell outdoor wood ovens for pizzas or other cooking.

https://www.ilfornino.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtoCk6RhspI

As with everything else there are hoops to jump through for both indoor or outdoor ovens or whatever that burn solid fuels.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/51986.html

https://islipny.gov/building-divisio...-required/file

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...ESM&theme=dark

https://wyrk.com/heating-with-firewood-in-new-york/

Old 01-22-2023, 10:22 AM

6,461 posts, read 3,154,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Cruella Deville wants to ban propane too
I think she wants to ban everyone and everything...............but herself!!!

Old 01-22-2023, 11:05 AM

983 posts, read 725,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I think she wants to ban everyone and everything...............but herself!!!
I'm all for banning. Bring Europe to NY.
Here everyone can do whatever they want, no matter who they bother, torture, or kill.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:18 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,707,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I guess since electric is my baseline, and wood is sort of the preferred and “ooh la la” thing for baking a pizza, I just…don’t think about gas. I don’t like using gas for baking or cooking.
then you are an oddball.. gas is superior to electric food cooktops...

Electric ovens.. ok

but gas cooktops rule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island