Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2023, 03:03 PM

297 posts, read 133,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Sounds like your solar company stuck you with something that wasn’t required. Solar does not require slots unless you have batteries period. Or am I getting my solar by magic? Future proofing does not mean required.
Simple math, a full existing panel and the need to add in breakers for solar. A simple google search will validate my statement.

Again, I did not say it was required. My solar company didn't request it. I did because there would be a tax credit. I also helps because I did a reno that required the additional capacity - wine fridge, lighting and ect.

You solar needs to feed into your panel - that means you had the space. Some panels have the ability to change to smaller breakers, thereby freeing up space for the solar. Not all panels are the same. Sounds like you were fortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 04:22 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,658,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Attachment 241514

Image is from this article but outlines cost of gas, electric, wood for Pizza. Also, gas is like double now, meanwhile electric is like 20% higher? Could be cheaper just to run electric based on current days rates.

https://pizzatoday.com/topics/menu-d...he-heat-is-on/
Watch: if the State moves to ban gas, pizzeria's will turn towards the burning of wood, which will exacerbate the situation.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:30 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Then why did you add up all the costs for different systems? That makes no sense. It, just like, peconic's lack of familiarity with let alone comprehension of why adding solar panels might trigger an electric panel upgrade, are the sort of baseline questions that anyone who's even made any steps to look into this would see are dead giveaways that there's little understanding of how these things work despite how much the two of you keep running your mouths.

I originally started pointing out things to try to help you out because it seemed like you were actually distressed and perhaps were being mislead by bad quotes whether to make more money off of you or to sandbag better options, and that you seemed unfamiliar with some of the tax credits and the ability to finance things (including programs meant to tie into these tax credits) and wanted to help by dispelling misinformation. I understand that some people, especially older people, might find this intimidating and need help navigating this and what the pros and cons are and how you might be able to stretch out a limited or fixed income. Instead, it turns out I'm just arguing with cranks which is not my intention nor a good use of anyone's time. That's my bad, so I won't be repeating this.
If you read it... i separated it... I said OR as one OR the other.... seriously, go take a reading comprehension class.

Its still around 19-25k regardless. Again TAX CREDITS means you have to upfront the $$$ and it doesnt give it back to you in return. Most of on LI already owe the feds at tax time to begin with because of the SALT reduction a few years ago.... at best we break even.... at worse we still owe, just less. A REBATE at purchase is required to make this tenable.

Old 01-19-2023, 04:32 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
Quote:
Please put me on ignore as you have proven to be nothing but a wannabe elitist windbag. And you don’t need a panel upgrade nitwit. In some cases it’s advisable but rarely required.
Except you will need one for the electric car chargers they are shoving down our throats

Old 01-19-2023, 05:06 PM

297 posts, read 133,627 times
Quote:
Sounds like your solar company stuck you with something that wasn’t required. Solar does not require slots unless you have batteries period. Or am I getting my solar by magic? Future proofing does not mean required.
I finally realize why you prob didnt need to add breakers. I have Sunpower panels with micro inverters that convert from DC to AC at the panel level and Data monitor.

No battery = wrong...

Old 01-19-2023, 05:23 PM

592 posts, read 920,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Watch: if the State moves to ban gas, pizzeria's will turn towards the burning of wood, which will exacerbate the situation.
I'm sure they are going to love the $21.75 minimum wage coming their way too.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:30 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,776,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Except you will need one for the electric car chargers they are shoving down our throats
Already have a car charger lol! One of the reasons I’m Pretty much full.

Last edited by peconic117; 01-19-2023 at 06:38 PM..

Old 01-19-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
I finally realize why you prob didnt need to add breakers. I have Sunpower panels with micro inverters that convert from DC to AC at the panel level and Data monitor.

No battery = wrong...
I also have micro inverters In addition I have CT monitors through the enphase app. So no that’s probably not it.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:32 PM

37,174 posts, read 39,463,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
If you read it... i separated it... I said OR as one OR the other.... seriously, go take a reading comprehension class.

Its still around 19-25k regardless. Again TAX CREDITS means you have to upfront the $$$ and it doesnt give it back to you in return. Most of on LI already owe the feds at tax time to begin with because of the SALT reduction a few years ago.... at best we break even.... at worse we still owe, just less. A REBATE at purchase is required to make this tenable.
Which is why I said there's a lot of confusion here on your part aside from just math. There's some bad math in there as well, as you had a range of 7-8 and then 3-4 which you then arbitrarily reduced to the top line value to get 12, so already that's bad. And then you chose that top line to add to either the 15 for geothermal or 7 for "electric" to get your number. However, you gave no explanation for why you needed to spend that 7-8k at first, then you called one geothermal in contrast to electric when geothermal is simply one kind of electric heat pump, and then you gave no explanation for why you geothermal is a reasonable option if you're already strapped for cash.

AGAIN, I sympathize with how tax credits aren't at point of sale. That makes sense which is why I asked if you have thought about turning to financing so that there is not a massive upfront cost. However, your response makes this even more confusing, because it calls into question whether or not you understand how the federal tax credits work. If you owe plenty of federal taxes, then a federal tax credit should almost certainly be applicable to you. It might be helpful if you explain how *you* imagine these federal tax credits work, because something seems odd here.

Old 01-19-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Which is why I said there's a lot of confusion here on your part aside from just math. There's some bad math in there as well, as you had a range of 7-8 and then 3-4 which you then arbitrarily reduced to the top line value to get 12, so already that's bad. And then you chose that top line to add to either the 15 for geothermal or 7 for "electric" to get your number. However, you gave no explanation for why you needed to spend that 7-8k at first, then you called one geothermal in contrast to electric when geothermal is simply one kind of electric heat pump, and then you gave no explanation for why you geothermal is a reasonable option if you're already strapped for cash.

AGAIN, I sympathize with how tax credits aren't at point of sale. That makes sense which is why I asked if you have thought about turning to financing so that there is not a massive upfront cost. However, your response makes this even more confusing, because it calls into question whether or not you understand how the federal tax credits work. If you owe plenty of federal taxes, then a federal tax credit should almost certainly be applicable to you. It might be helpful if you explain how *you* imagine these federal tax credits work, because something seems odd here.
Give it a rest with the tax credits already, they are a drop in the bucket for the overall cost of what you are obsessively pushing. 600 maximum toward a panel upgrade….whoopie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island