Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
How about Lubavitch Hasidim here in Richmond? Common enough in Brooklyn, but I did a double take when I saw a Lubavitch family 20 years back in a local Friendly's. Turns out there is a shtetl down here that's doing quite well. Yiddishkeit with a Southern drawl.

For the record I didn't notice if they were driving a black car or something a little flashier.

The Amish man was a temporary import. It would be a radical departure from the norm to see Amish families permanently settled here; but then again, the tourists around here would probably find it charming and quaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 02:39 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
[quote=sean sean sean sean;4154332]I always liked black or silver on big, expensive cars. When it comes to Cadillac Escalades, however, I don't know why you would want any color except Diamond Pearl White.

Because every piece of dust sticks out like a sore thumb on it. White is one of the toughest colors because after washing ,it looks dirty an hour later if you drive more then 5 minutes.Actually black I think was 2nd

Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 PM

I have white, black and yellow. Black is the worst -- pollen, raindrop spots, road grit show up quickly. I find white to be a little more forgiving. Yellow is the best of the bunch.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Black car experience afternoon of 7/27/08

Coming out of Shoprite Supermarket, a (guess what color) Lincoln Navigator is parked full width across the tapered area for the entrance/exit forcing all (tired old ladies with walkers included) to shoot for the narrowest of tapered pavement left or go down past the Navigator and take the cart off the full drop of the curb.

The "Gentleman" driving it seemed to be a rather swarthy looking individual obliviously reading a paper (waiting for someone?)...I think when he was born he got on the line for self confidence and agression twice and skipped the lines for intelligence...and possibly education...

Needless to say I opted not to knock on his window and point out the error of his ways.

Things like this are happening far too often for it to be mere coincidence...can black car drivers weigh in and shed some light here...what is the correlation...?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:01 PM

29 posts, read 95,282 times
You guys can not understand how LI this post is. It's witty and pointless and everyone is coming up with a better comment than the last guy. I LOVE it!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 AM

Admit it ThreePitas: you miss LI and have to peek in from time to time to get a dose of silliness.

Going off topic, I saw some of your other posts and wish you luck with your relo to CT. The general area you're thinking of is very nice.

I hear they have a now black cars law in effect

Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
They still love to flaunt their SUV's. These people love destroying the earth and messing up other people's lives. If I saw that I would've let the air out of his tires.
Not goin anywhere now bigshot!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Dunno, I don't see a lot of black cars in my area *shrug

Old 07-30-2008, 01:04 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
If I saw that I would've let the air out of his tires.
Not goin anywhere now bigshot!
The driver was sitting behind the wheel with the windows rolled up and A.C. on reading a paper, I can tell you in no uncertain terms this action would have led to a very serious confrontation involving at the very least hand to hand combat or something much more dire if he was armed.
The chance of him being armed, legally or illegally is statistically higher due to drivers willingness to violate the law and common decency with his parking action.

And personally I am not one to take the law into my own hands, but I can very much identify with the emotion behind your advice.

Not all black car drivers are equal parts unfounded confidence, agression, lack of concern for fellow man (woman)...and poor communication skills. My doctor driives a black Mercedes and is salt of the earth...but IMO there is a greater chance of a black car driver posessing the less than redeeming traits....especially if it is an SUV...

Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
My complaint with black cars is that they always seem to be the ones who don't put their lights on when it starts getting dark. You cannot SEE them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: