Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 AM

164 posts, read 458,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLIGuy View Post
Thanks for speaking up for my hometown. Born and raised there. I visited it a few years ago and was amazed how nice it still is. If I could move back there, I would!
Hello , Nice to meet some one from here. They really did a lot of improvements..one big one was tearing down the houses on Merrick & Ocean..they made a pretty sitting park, at night it's all lit and looks great. Where Arnold used cars was on Merrick & S. Ketchem was all torned down as well. A small group of stores were just built ..accross the street on the county line corner, that was all torned down as well. We now have a CVS. They did a great job on the building, looks like a big house more than a store..you'll have to come back for a visit and see the new improvements! Where did you move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitygirl View Post
Now I live in the village of South Amityville and love every bit of this town (ah, hamlet ) ...
Are you saying that you live in the southern part of the Village of Amityville or that you live in the southern part of the Hamlet of Copiague that has an "Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address?

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But wouldn't you say the trailer parks have something to do with that? It's not about race, you're right, but fact is, many people in amityville are poor (as well as rich/middle class etc)...and the poor can have a negative effect on a school district...ex. hempstead, freeport, etc.

"there really aren't any negatives?"...sorry but a trailer park is a pretty biiiiig negative. i would not live in a town that had trailer parks in it...even if I was living in the "good part"...but that's me.
The trailer parks is a terrible site, I agree, but they are not close to here at all, they are pretty far north from here up on 110. We do not even have the same police Dept. It's almost like two different towns. The North Amityville area is much more depressed, they have revived parts of it. Some parts they did a nice job by building new developments which takes the place of a run down drug area.. at least there is some improvement.

The good here out weighs the bad that is north of us hands down

Old 08-06-2009, 11:45 AM

438 posts, read 832,192 times
"there really aren't any negatives?"...sorry but a trailer park is a pretty biiiiig negative. i would not live in a town that had trailer parks in it...even if I was living in the "good part"...but that's me.[/quote]

Not sure what you have against trailer parks. Most of the residents who lived in them when I was in Amityville were elderly and retired white people.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLIGuy View Post
"there really aren't any negatives?"...sorry but a trailer park is a pretty biiiiig negative. i would not live in a town that had trailer parks in it...even if I was living in the "good part"...but that's me.

Not sure what you have against trailer parks. Most of the residents who lived in them when I was in Amityville were elderly and retired white people.[/quote]

I think they are an eyesore and bring down the value and status of the town as well as the houses around it.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
I'd love to live in Amityville. It's a beautiful place.I'm shocked that people would talk bad about it. Hey, you forgot to mention the Amityville Horror house! :-)
aw, thank you! Come visit anytime!

ps..just down the block from "the house' <<smile>>

Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Are you saying that you live in the southern part of the Village of Amityville or that you live in the southern part of the Hamlet of Copiague that has an "Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address?

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)
I was waiting for you Walter..lol We live in the southern part of the village of Amityville. We are not Copiague which that area the call "Amity Harbor" which is not Amityville, it is Copiague.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 AM

438 posts, read 832,192 times
Quote:
Hello , Nice to meet some one from here. They really did a lot of improvements..one big one was tearing down the houses on Merrick & Ocean..they made a pretty sitting park, at night it's all lit and looks great. Where Arnold used cars was on Merrick & S. Ketchem was all torned down as well. A small group of stores were just built ..accross the street on the county line corner, that was all torned down as well. We now have a CVS. They did a great job on the building, looks like a big house more than a store..you'll have to come back for a visit and see the new improvements! Where did you move to?
Nice to meet you as well. I was back there in 2001 and, very briefly, in 2008. I went to the cd shop on Merrick Road. I was amazed to see George Comb's Bait Shop is still there. We used get our bait there before fishing on the Great South Bay.

I moved from Amityville when I was in junior high school, back in 1979. It is suprising that the school district went down academically. It used to be a very good district for academics. Teachers were tough and did not take any bs. I guess everything changes, and sometimes not for the better. I currently reside in Austin, TX due to my career. If it wasn't for my wife's career, I'd move back to LI as I miss it alot. I have alot of fond memories of Amityville. Too bad they got rid of the ballfields and built condos on Sunrise & County Line Road. I hit a few home runs in those fields when I was in Little League.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Not sure what you have against trailer parks. Most of the residents who lived in them when I was in Amityville were elderly and retired white people.
I think they are an eyesore and bring down the value and status of the town as well as the houses around it.[/quote]

True XLI the trailer parks are filled with the eldery and people who just can't afford to have a reg. home..at least these people have a roof over their head and not living on the streets homeless...

They do not have anything to do with our values here, that is a fact. Somes homes sold over a million (not on water) when the ecomony was better... I think that has effected all of us, not a trailer park, even if it may be an eye sore to some.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
I think they are an eyesore and bring down the value and status of the town as well as the houses around it.
True XLI the trailer parks are filled with the eldery and people who just can't afford to have a reg. home..at least these people have a roof over their head and not living on the streets homeless...

They do not have anything to do with our values here, that is a fact. Somes homes sold over a million (not on water) when the ecomony was better... I think that has effected all of us, not a trailer park, even if it may be an eye sore to some.[/quote]

While a million dollars is impressive, there are places comparable to Amityville South where homes have sold for more...possibly due to the absence of trailer parks...as well as other variables. However, I would bet if the trailer parks in Amityville were demolished, the value of everyone's homes (yes, yours too) would rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island