Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM

416 posts, read 697,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Can you live in E Williston (or Nassau)on less than 90k these days?

Not defending it but 90k HHI is crap on LI

Crooks
It's the median - apparently 50% of households are doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBoy View Post
While the salary appears to be high and the benefits appears to be great. This is how these districts attract top quality teachers. Most teachers are either Ivy League or tier 1 schools graduates with close to 4.0 GPA. Many scores top 2% percentile on their state certification exams. But, that will only get them an interview. It is the dedication and passion to teach that will get them (or keep) their job.
You are assuming teachers on LI get their jobs in a merit-based way. Most get their jobs because they "know someone."

Quote:
Sure, the teachers in the city cost less. But, I don’t think it’s fair to compare our districts with NYC’s. Since, their union is weak and haunted by the city’s wonderful cost cutting efforts. Just look at what that wonderful savings got for the taxpayers and the number of dropouts that suppose to be the future of this country.
Socioeconomics and parents who care are what drives success in schools. NOT how high the teachers are paid.

Quote:
I think our teachers are certainly capable of going into other more lucrative professions and not have their income published. When was the last time we hear someone complaint about their doctor, banker, contractor, realtor, manager for making too much and worked too little? (think real hard about the last appointment you tried to get with them during the normal work week) Or do we hear these professionals complaining about teacher’s salary. We don’t because, they wouldn’t be where they are today without one.
I don't pay their salaries, pensions and benefits out of my property tax dollars. If I did, I would be complaining.

I know a doctor who quit being a doctor to become a teacher because his practice was less lucrative than teaching (insurance reimbursements going down, cost of office staff, etc.). How did he do it? His wife was already a teacher and he got in via her connections ...

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-05-2010 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: I had him confused with someone else

Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM

61 posts, read 210,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You are assuming teachers on LI get their jobs in a merit-based way. Most get their jobs because they "know someone."
All the teachers I know personally got their job without knowing anyone in their district. Maybe that explains why it is hard to believe someone got their job through “someone”.

Quote:
Socioeconomics and parents who care are what drives success in schools. NOT how high the teachers are paid.
Socioeconomics, parents who care, and good teachers are what drives success in schools. And good teachers are not cheap.

Quote:
I don't pay their salaries, pensions and benefits out of my property tax dollars. If I did, I would be complaining.
Try New Orleans, LA! But, I heard they have school tax too.

Quote:
Did you hit the lottery?
Bingo!

Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
It's the median - apparently 50% of households are doing it.

Im sure 50% of the population bought their homes in the 80s too.

Something tells me 90k aint getting it done in E Williston today.

Crooks

Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
While the salary appears to be high and the benefits appears to be great. This is how these districts attract top quality teachers. Most teachers are either Ivy League or tier 1 schools graduates with close to 4.0 GPA. Many scores top 2% percentile on their state certification exams. But, that will only get them an interview. It is the dedication and passion to teach that will get them (or keep) their job.

Sure, the teachers in the city cost less. But, I don’t think it’s fair to compare our districts with NYC’s. Since, their union is weak and haunted by the city’s wonderful cost cutting efforts. Just look at what that wonderful savings got for the taxpayers and the number of dropouts that suppose to be the future of this country.

I think our teachers are certainly capable of going into other more lucrative professions and not have their income published. When was the last time we hear someone complaint about their doctor, banker, contractor, realtor, manager for making too much and worked too little? (think real hard about the last appointment you tried to get with them during the normal work week) Or do we hear these professionals complaining about teacher’s salary. We don’t because, they wouldn’t be where they are today without one.
Do you have any proof of that? Because I don't believe it.

I would say more like HofsTTTra masters of education and an "in" in the district ...

Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
All the teachers I know personally got their job without knowing anyone in their district. Maybe that explains why it is hard to believe someone got their job through “someone”.
The "patronage" jobs and "connected" jobs in school districts on LI have been going on for DECADES AND DECADES literally. Trust me on this one! It's only hard to believe for someone who is young and naive with not much real world experience in local LI politics and civil service commissions.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Im sure 50% of the population bought their homes in the 80s too.

Something tells me 90k aint getting it done in E Williston today.

Crooks
So who says that anyone has to be guaranteed to have a salary where they can buy a home on one income? You act like $90K for an individual salary (not total household income) is poverty. Please.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
So who says that anyone has to be guaranteed to have a salary where they can buy a home on one income? You act like $90K for an individual salary (not total household income) is poverty. Please.

Ask the NCPD.

HHI LI.

Peace.

Crooks

Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Ask the NCPD.

HHI LI.

Peace.

Crooks
NCPD's union you mean!

So if we stopped giving them that much we would become a crime-infested cesspool? I wonder how soon that would happen? The next day or week after the new contract was signed ...

Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
NCPD's union you mean!

So if we stopped giving them that much we would become a crime-infested cesspool? I wonder how soon that would happen? The next day or week after the new contract was signed ...

Im with you LI.

Cops making 160k is a sin.

I just brought it up to see what the teacher market would bear in Nassau.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island