Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:14 AM

217 posts, read 255,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
90K for 9 months worth of work is a "sweet deal". 90K for a guaranteed lifetime "tenured" job is a platinum benefit. For such a "high" performing school district, why are only 20% of the graduates attending Ivy league schools? From a statistics point of view, I would feel a high rate of "confidence" give or take one degree if 80% of graduates were attending Ivy league schools. How does E. Williston schools spin it "If Janey attends our schools, there's a 20% chance she'll attend an Ivy league school"? I think if the tagline read "4 out of 5 are accepted and attend Ivy League schools" then yes, high property values and teacher salaries are justified, otherwise, no dice.
Bingo. $90k plus total job security plus benefits plus 9 months worth of work = winning the lottery, hence the near impossibility of getting a public school teaching job on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 AM

168 posts, read 314,704 times
WOW 264 of the employees (almost half) make less than half the average median income for the area they work in... Thats sad. Someone should advocate for these rank and file workers who are clearly underpaid.

The above was sarcasm but should demonstrate how easy it is to manipulate statistics to bias opinions.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:17 AM

217 posts, read 255,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
East Williston has 20% of it's graduates go onto Ivy League or Stanford, and the median income for the CDP is way over $200K.

Yes it's the highest paying district on LI, but with only 3 schools and it's HS considered a public elite... the tax dollars actually get a lot of bang for the buck.

If you can live in a place where you can send your kids to Wheatley HS, your taxes are a drop in the bucket for you.
Yea, because the performance is solely the teachers doing, I'm sure

Swap out those teachers with Mineola teachers and the results will be very similar if not exactly the same.

As for your last sentence - that is a terrible, yet typical attitude for many civil servants on LI. "You can afford it so pay up"

Old 03-25-2010, 08:29 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
90K for 9 months worth of work is a "sweet deal". 90K for a guaranteed lifetime "tenured" job is a platinum benefit. For such a "high" performing school district, why are only 20% of the graduates attending Ivy league schools? From a statistics point of view, I would feel a high rate of "confidence" give or take one degree if 80% of graduates were attending Ivy league schools. How does E. Williston schools spin it "If Janey attends our schools, there's a 20% chance she'll attend an Ivy league school"? I think if the tagline read "4 out of 5 are accepted and attend Ivy League schools" then yes, high property values and teacher salaries are justified, otherwise, no dice.
... because other school districts have a number closer to 1%

I suppose for me this is just common knowledge of Pay in East Williston rather than some kind of shocking fact.
Homes in Old Westbury in that area go for over 2-3 million dollars. I don't think too many of those homes are inhabited by teachers.

Now the big question might be the turnover in teachers @ Wheatley HS vs Stuyvesant HS in New York City.
That will let you know how big a factor money plays- given equivalent high end high schools.

I really don't mean to offend here- but these seem like very lower class attitudes about an upper class district. Yes, shocking! East Williston education is expensive, of course their teachers are lucky to be in such a nice place. If you live there though, you know this- and that's part of why you live there and it's doubtful you're going to start complaining about it.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:30 AM

964 posts, read 2,463,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
It says employees, not teachers. Most are probably administration (dept. chairs, deans, asst. principals, principals, and the superintendant and officers).

$90,000 isn't that high a salary to be up in arms. It is barely middle class for LI.
You're kidding right? 90k per individual is a lot of money to most folks...even on Long Island. The median salary for an ENTIRE household in Nassua is 85k (in Suffolk prob less). Most families I know are struggling to make 90k between BOTH husband and wife. There are a lot of people here struggling who would kill for 90k. That's not chump change.

Then when you add in very expensive and rich benefit packages, vacation, summers off, and total job security...well, you can see what is wrong with that picture.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
You're kidding right? 90k per individual is a lot of money to most folks...even on Long Island. The median salary for an ENTIRE household in Nassua is 85k (in Suffolk prob less). Most families I know are struggling to make 90k between BOTH husband and wife. There are a lot of people here struggling who would kill for 90k. That's not chump change.

Then when you add in very expensive and rich benefit packages, vacation, summers off, and total job security...well, you can see what is wrong with that picture.
A teacher on another board complained that she had her teacher husband have been 'victimized' by the AMT-- they had to be making at least $90K each on average. You can't have it both ways, darling.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I was just on a break and talking to a co-worker who told me her sister and BIL are both teachers in Suffolk County and in her words they "laugh all the time" about their hours and the pay and packages they get.

Public whining gives way to private glee, more often than not, I suspect.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:24 AM

748 posts, read 2,889,215 times
I am no Walter, but I think the East Williston School District covers the Village of East Williston, a large part of the village of Old Westbury, and small parts of Mineola, Williston Park, Albertson etc. Out of these, the village of Old Westbury is the richest part, and probably contributes the most per-household in taxes for the school district.

Jericho schools ( again, a part of Old Westbury is zoned for) also send 20% of students to Ivy league. Syosset sends about 10% to ivy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
East Williston has 20% of it's graduates go onto Ivy League or Stanford, and the median income for the CDP is way over $200K.

Yes it's the highest paying district on LI, but with only 3 schools and it's HS considered a public elite... the tax dollars actually get a lot of bang for the buck.

If you can live in a place where you can send your kids to Wheatley HS, your taxes are a drop in the bucket for you.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 AM

964 posts, read 2,463,517 times
I'm sorry, but these Ivy League school percentage arguments make me want to puke. Are people here saying that teachers should be paid more if their students go to Ivy League schools in higher percentages than other high schools?

This is laughable for a number of reasons:

1. The entire student body should be judged and not just those going to Ivy League schools.

2. Ivy Leagues aren't the be all and end all. There are plenty of other top notch schools outside of this club.

3. Teachers only do so much. Stop kidding yourself otherwise. It is the parents and the socio-economic stability that contributes to a child's performance and success more than anything else. Send those same teachers to Elmont and let's see what they can do.

4. Parents of students in districts such as E. Williston have access to outside resources that many other parents can't afford. Their kids get the best outside tutoring and they even have Ivy League "admissions coaches". Check this out..its no joke: Home

----
Those East Williston Salaries are a joke. Think it doesn't involve you because you don't live in EW? Think again. Arbitrators, negotiators, unions, etc. will look at nearby districts when they decide on raises in yours. In fact, some districts like Roslyn have clauses that tie their compensation to others on LI. This fight involves all districts on the Island.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I'm sorry, but these Ivy League school percentage arguments make me want to puke. Are people here saying that teachers should be paid more if their students go to Ivy League schools in higher percentages than other high schools?
If your purpose for high school is sending your children to higher education afterwards, yes- I wholeheartedly believe that the schools that have the highest amount of students going to the most elite schools can justify paying their staff the most.

Ivy league schools are not be-all-end-alls of course, but they are a reflection internally of A.P exam scores, SAT scores, and yes... wealthy and/or educated parents. These are the things that create a desirable school district.

These are the things you pay for in an expensive school (be it public or private), a chance for success, or a chance to connect with others to succeed. I know dozens of parents who especially send their girls off to Yale or Stanford hoping they'll meet a to-be-rich husband.

Syosset and Jericho are certainly up there, believe me their teachers are compensated well.
Once again too- especially with Jericho, if you were pulling in 90K you'd probably have people looking down upon you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island