Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 PM

577 posts, read 978,665 times

Advertisements

New York State | Public Employee Payrolls on SeeThroughNY

New York State | Public Employee Payrolls on SeeThroughNY

88 of them make more than 124K!

15 of them make more than 149K!

No wonder property taxes on LI are what they are!

Last edited by Keeper; 09-10-2010 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Hmmm I wonder how many companies there are in Long Island's private sector where over 40% of the employees make around $100k or higher with outstanding benefits and rock-solid job security. Law firms? Plastic surgeons?

Good find. Do you live in East Williston? If so pass that link along to your neighbors. Let people know how stupid this situation is and how badly it needs to be changed. Vote for Steve Levy!

Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 PM

99 posts, read 272,578 times
While I will agree that the payroll is very high, esp those making 130k etc, 90k is really not a lot of money on LI anymore. NYC was paying teachers 50k and they were having a very tough time getting qualified candidates. But with the benefits the cost is much higher. A lot of these people probably have been working 10 + years and I would be pretty disappointed if I were working a professional job and making 70k after 10 years or something like that. I think that the people making 130k a year are making way too much, but 90k is not a lot.

What do people here think is a reasonable rate for teachers?

Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 PM
grant516

n/a posts
East Williston has 20% of it's graduates go onto Ivy League or Stanford, and the median income for the CDP is way over $200K.

Yes it's the highest paying district on LI, but with only 3 schools and it's HS considered a public elite... the tax dollars actually get a lot of bang for the buck.

If you can live in a place where you can send your kids to Wheatley HS, your taxes are a drop in the bucket for you.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:13 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
It says employees, not teachers. Most are probably administration (dept. chairs, deans, asst. principals, principals, and the superintendant and officers).

$90,000 isn't that high a salary to be up in arms. It is barely middle class for LI.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
East Williston is know for its great schools which is its main reason the property values in that town is higher than its neighbors.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:04 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialp View Post

It's not the pay, it's the benefits that come as part of the package. A school district employee making that kind of money brings that same amount (or close to it) home as a pension when they retire. That could mean sitting around for 20-30 years collecting a 6 figure pension. Most private sector employees are having a huge chunk taken out of their paychecks for health insurance as well as 401(K) and other savings. Teachers don't need to shell out very much for that stuff (and retirement, nothing at all). It is simply time for them to start contributing the way the private sector does - period.

And can I ask when it came up in any private sector employees' salary negotiations that they needed to be paid "x" amount due to the cost of living here? I've posted before about the company that I worked for that paid us more as a "cost of living adjustment" for the area, only to find out that people who lived in rural areas of the US were making about $2,000 a year less than we were. Gee, thanks for the COL adjustment.

The argument that people should be paid a certain amount because it's "so expensive" to live here is so old and tired. No one is guaranteed a house, 2 cars, 2 nice vacations, etc.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:38 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialp View Post
While I will agree that the payroll is very high, esp those making 130k etc, 90k is really not a lot of money on LI anymore. NYC was paying teachers 50k and they were having a very tough time getting qualified candidates. But with the benefits the cost is much higher. A lot of these people probably have been working 10 + years and I would be pretty disappointed if I were working a professional job and making 70k after 10 years or something like that. I think that the people making 130k a year are making way too much, but 90k is not a lot.

90K for 9 months worth of work is a "sweet deal". 90K for a guaranteed lifetime "tenured" job is a platinum benefit. For such a "high" performing school district, why are only 20% of the graduates attending Ivy league schools? From a statistics point of view, I would feel a high rate of "confidence" give or take one degree if 80% of graduates were attending Ivy league schools. How does E. Williston schools spin it "If Janey attends our schools, there's a 20% chance she'll attend an Ivy league school"? I think if the tagline read "4 out of 5 are accepted and attend Ivy League schools" then yes, high property values and teacher salaries are justified, otherwise, no dice.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Yes we all know teachers are overpaid here...moving on now

Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yes we all know teachers are overpaid here...moving on now
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island