Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,039,252 times

Advertisements

Strange how you leave out how most of these leaves need to substantiated in writng from a doctor and approved by the superintendant. Also, have you noticed an increase in teachers killing off their families through long illnesses? How about a major increase in adopted children?
Im sure if you really wanted an accurate idea of the leave rate in your district you could find out. But it's not the truth you're really after is it?

Last edited by nassau2suffolk; 09-02-2010 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:10 AM

14 posts, read 22,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Really?

182 teaching days
Did You Look On Page #6?

35 hour weeks (Includes lunch)
22.5 maximum teaching hrs per week if teacher assigned to K to 4th grade
20.25 maximum teaching hrs per week if teacher assigned to 5th to 7th grade
16.66 or 18.75 maximum teaching hrs per week if teacher assigned to 8th to 12grade
Did You Look On Page #'s 7 & 8?

UNLIMITED SICK LEAVE!
Did You Look On Page #23?

2 Personal leave days
5 days excusal for any death in teachers family
4 emergency excusals
3 family Illness excusals days
20 days excusal if teacher adopts a child
Did You Look On Page #24?

Looking forward to your apology

Teacher & Superintendent Contracts

There is no apology. This is not factual information. You are quoting the contract from 2006, we are in the 2010-11 school year. Get the school calendar from EW, it states and have scheduled 184 days for one. Doesn't everyone have or deserve to have 5 days for an immediate family members death, it states IMMEDIATE, it's not for uncles, aunts, cousins, or distant realitives, it's for parents, children and siblings. The day is only so long, children go to lunch, which means a teacher goes to lunch, you can't teach children when they are in the NY state legal obligation of recess and lunch. Plus they need to eat, ohhh and it is a state law to provide lunch. The children are also required to have gym, state mandated, and engage in art, music, computers, library, so a teacher is not able to teach them when they are not in the classroom. During that time the children are not with them it is not a free for all for a teacher. They are planning lessons, trips, special events, meeting with special educators, calling parents, making copies, preparing lessons, getting supplies, meeting with their teams, meeting with administrators. As for adoptions, at the elementary school there have only been three teachers who have adopted in the past 20 years, so that is really not a perk being totally utilized wouldn't you say???? As for unlimited sick leave, it states a maximum of 60 days and that anything after 5 days must be accompanied by a doctors note. History lesson.....EW is such a small district it is more cost effective to offer the teachers this than purchasing disablility on such a small about of employees. Bottom line = The contract has been renegotiated since 2006 and you are not a well informed person. You are someone who sees one thing and spouts it out without research of facts behind you! No apology, you are clearly wrong. But more importatantly...why do you care so much? Look at the numbers.... they just changed the formula for grading NYS tests AFTER the children just took it. The children in grades 3 and 4 in EW are in the top 5 of Long Island. Obviously a district not just teaching to the test...but teaching....you get what you pay for! You treat your employees well, they treat you well back!! I want that with my child, don't you!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 PM

577 posts, read 979,740 times
I just wonder how you were able to vote for a school budget that you obviously have very very little knowledge about. Please let me educate you & hopefully you in turn will educate the other Kool Aid drinkers.

You are quoting the contract from 2006, we are in the 2010-11 school year.

The agreement between the E. W. Union Free School District and the E.W.Teachers Associated was from July 1, 2000 to June 30,2003.The same parties signed a " Memorandum Of Agreement" which specified salary increase schedules from June, 2007 to June 30, 2011. Everything in the original agreement is applicable unless modified. So please point out where any teaching times or paid days off have been modified?

Get the school calendar from EW, it states and have scheduled 184 days for one.
The teachers contract calls for 182 teaching days and 3 conference days. So unless you can show me where that was modified contractually...you're wrong. They still get 180 days off...not bad right?

Doesn't everyone have or deserve to have 5 days for an immediate family members death.

No argument from me. Some though may argue why tax payers have to pay for it?

it states IMMEDIATE, it's not for uncles, aunts, cousins, or distant realitives, it's for parents, children and siblings.

Actually your wrong again. "Immediate Family" is a defined term in the contract (Pg 24 D3) and includes grandparents, parents, spouses, children, grandchildren and in laws. In the most recent contract (Pg 4 #6) that section was modified to include domestic partners.

`
The day is only so long, children go to lunch, which means a teacher goes to lunch, you can't teach children when they are in the NY state legal obligation of recess and lunch. Plus they need to eat, ohhh and it is a state law to provide lunch. The children are also required to have gym, state mandated, and engage in art, music, computers, library, so a teacher is not able to teach them when they are not in the classroom. During that time the children are not with them it is not a free for all for a teacher. They are planning lessons, trips, special events, meeting with special educators, calling parents, making copies, preparing lessons, getting supplies, meeting with their teams, meeting with administrators.

Well this is a clasic Union talking point ( along with "its for the children" ) and part of the Kool Aid drinking formula. Teachers at the HS teach for 3:28 per day. Very good for them....very very bad for taxpayers!

They are planning trips, special events

Really?...please provide the name/s of the teacher/s that do this. Teachers get paid thousands of dollars beyond their teaching salary...called "stipends" to run trips & special events.These activities are to be conducted after or before school hours. If they are taking time from the school day to handle these matters you have an obligation to yourself and fellow taxpayers to report them to the Superintendent or a Board member.

As for adoptions, at the elementary school there have only been three teachers who have adopted in the past 20 years, so that is really not a perk being totally utilized wouldn't you say????

Just curious but how do you know that? I'm not against adoptations but why does it have to be paid days off?

As for unlimited sick leave, it states a maximum of 60 days.

Actually their contract states: "Unlimited sick leave but continuation of sick leave beyond an accumulated period of 60 days in any one school year shall be at the discretion of the Bd of Ed"

and that anything after 5 days must be accompanied by a doctors note.

Actually the contract states "The Board reserves the right to have absences exceeding 5 consecutive school days substantiated by a physicians letter. ( By the way lets be honest getting your Dr's nurse or staff to write a note for you is not the most difficult thing to accomplish.

History lesson.....EW is such a small district it is more cost effective to offer the teachers this than purchasing disablility on such a small about of employees.

You are very very wrong.Your lack of knowledge on where your tax dollars are going is truly amazing. The number of paid sick leave days offered to teachers has Zero to do with disability insurance! When you get some free time after you finish the Kool Aid, take a look at the 2010/11 School District budget (its on the districts web site) and look at budget line 9042 it indicates that the district (taxpayers) will pay $178,556. for workers comp insurance.

Bottom line = The contract has been renegotiated since 2006 and you are not a well informed person. You are someone who sees one thing and spouts it out without research of facts behind you! No apology, you are clearly wrong.

See everything above. Its ok to admit your wrong and apologize.

But more importatantly...why do you care so much?

Easy one.....Because its my tax dollars and as a taxpayer I have a right to question where and how my tax dollars get spent.

Look at the numbers.... they just changed the formula for grading NYS tests AFTER the children just took it. The children in grades 3 and 4 in EW are in the top 5 of Long Island. Obviously a district not just teaching to the test...but teaching....you get what you pay for! You treat your employees well, they treat you well back!! I want that with my child, don't you!!!

EW did ok and many districts that spend less per student than EW did better.

you get what you pay for! You treat your employees well, they treat you well back!! I want that with my child, don't you!!!

You're wrong again. Its well known that the strongest predictor of how well a student will do on a standardized test is family income and parental education.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:03 PM

577 posts, read 979,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Im sure if you really wanted an accurate idea of the leave rate in your district you could find out. But it's not the truth you're really after is it?
I did find out it's........ almost 300K that taxpayers have to dish out to pay for substitute teachers because EW teachers (that work about 36 weeks) did not come to work.

Justmyopinion...any thoughts of an apology?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I just wonder how you were able to vote for a school budget that you obviously have very very little knowledge about. Please let me educate you & hopefully you in turn will educate the other Kool Aid drinkers.

You are quoting the contract from 2006, we are in the 2010-11 school year.

The agreement between the E. W. Union Free School District and the E.W.Teachers Associated was from July 1, 2000 to June 30,2003.The same parties signed a " Memorandum Of Agreement" which specified salary increase schedules from June, 2007 to June 30, 2011. Everything in the original agreement is applicable unless modified. So please point out where any teaching times or paid days off have been modified?

Get the school calendar from EW, it states and have scheduled 184 days for one.
The teachers contract calls for 182 teaching days and 3 conference days. So unless you can show me where that was modified contractually...you're wrong. They still get 180 days off...not bad right?

Which has been like that for the past 100 plus years. Why all of a sudden are teachers being punished for it?

Doesn't everyone have or deserve to have 5 days for an immediate family members death.

No argument from me. Some though may argue why tax payers have to pay for it?

Because they are government employees? Who else is going to pay for it?

it states IMMEDIATE, it's not for uncles, aunts, cousins, or distant realitives, it's for parents, children and siblings.

Actually your wrong again. "Immediate Family" is a defined term in the contract (Pg 24 D3) and includes grandparents, parents, spouses, children, grandchildren and in laws. In the most recent contract (Pg 4 #6) that section was modified to include domestic partners.

Ok, so that is immediate family. Inlaws are parents, grandparent are parents, husband and wives, children and grandchildren. This also enables for out of town deaths. I bet if you look at the statistics of the district the numbers are much less than taking 5 full days. I am sure people who take the full five days were extremely close, and those who didn't weren't. I rather think of the glass half full then accusing everyone of being abusive.
`
The day is only so long, children go to lunch, which means a teacher goes to lunch, you can't teach children when they are in the NY state legal obligation of recess and lunch. Plus they need to eat, ohhh and it is a state law to provide lunch. The children are also required to have gym, state mandated, and engage in art, music, computers, library, so a teacher is not able to teach them when they are not in the classroom. During that time the children are not with them it is not a free for all for a teacher. They are planning lessons, trips, special events, meeting with special educators, calling parents, making copies, preparing lessons, getting supplies, meeting with their teams, meeting with administrators.

Well this is a clasic Union talking point ( along with "its for the children" ) and part of the Kool Aid drinking formula. Teachers at the HS teach for 3:28 per day. Very good for them....very very bad for taxpayers!

What about elementary school teachers?????

They are planning trips, special events

Really?...please provide the name/s of the teacher/s that do this. Teachers get paid thousands of dollars beyond their teaching salary...called "stipends" to run trips & special events.These activities are to be conducted after or before school hours. If they are taking time from the school day to handle these matters you have an obligation to yourself and fellow taxpayers to report them to the Superintendent or a Board member.

Really......LOL.....not in elementary...and stipends are paid for trips on weekends or that exceed school hours ONLY!!!! Maybe if parents ran the trips themselves they wouldn't have to pay teachers to do the job.

As for adoptions, at the elementary school there have only been three teachers who have adopted in the past 20 years, so that is really not a perk being totally utilized wouldn't you say????

Just curious but how do you know that? I'm not against adoptations but why does it have to be paid days off?

So a women who is unable to have a baby should not be given the same privelege....so she should be penalized twice..... sensitive.

As for unlimited sick leave, it states a maximum of 60 days.

Actually their contract states: "Unlimited sick leave but continuation of sick leave beyond an accumulated period of 60 days in any one school year shall be at the discretion of the Bd of Ed"

and that anything after 5 days must be accompanied by a doctors note.

Actually the contract states "The Board reserves the right to have absences exceeding 5 consecutive school days substantiated by a physicians letter. ( By the way lets be honest getting your Dr's nurse or staff to write a note for you is not the most difficult thing to accomplish.

You must know some shady people, I have never known any doctor to do something so unelthical.

History lesson.....EW is such a small district it is more cost effective to offer the teachers this than purchasing disablility on such a small about of employees.

You are very very wrong.Your lack of knowledge on where your tax dollars are going is truly amazing. The number of paid sick leave days offered to teachers has Zero to do with disability insurance! When you get some free time after you finish the Kool Aid, take a look at the 2010/11 School District budget (its on the districts web site) and look at budget line 9042 it indicates that the district (taxpayers) will pay $178,556. for workers comp insurance.

That's workers comp....not disablility.

Bottom line = The contract has been renegotiated since 2006 and you are not a well informed person. You are someone who sees one thing and spouts it out without research of facts behind you! No apology, you are clearly wrong.

See everything above. Its ok to admit your wrong and apologize.

But more importatantly...why do you care so much?

Easy one.....Because its my tax dollars and as a taxpayer I have a right to question where and how my tax dollars get spent.

So then make a positive suggestion, get on a board, make some great suggestions rather than spout this stuff.

Look at the numbers.... they just changed the formula for grading NYS tests AFTER the children just took it. The children in grades 3 and 4 in EW are in the top 5 of Long Island. Obviously a district not just teaching to the test...but teaching....you get what you pay for! You treat your employees well, they treat you well back!! I want that with my child, don't you!!!

EW did ok and many districts that spend less per student than EW did better.

EW did in the top 5 along with the other districts that pay more than EW.

you get what you pay for! You treat your employees well, they treat you well back!! I want that with my child, don't you!!!

You're wrong again. Its well known that the strongest predictor of how well a student will do on a standardized test is family income and parental education.
Only if that family utilizes that famiily income and parental education to benefit that child.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,994 times
Default Wow - the obvious.

Quote:
88 of them make more than 124K!

15 of them make more than 149K!

No wonder property taxes on LI are what they are!
Yes - property taxes "are what they are" because taxes are customarily used to pay for public services. When the district agreed to pay its public servants this much, the taxes were raised to cover its liabilities.

How much should they be paid?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 PM

People making those salaries are administrators or a teacher in the system for 30 years with either a masters plus 60 or a doctorate. I am interested how much do you think that knowledge for your child is worth?

Old 09-10-2010, 07:32 PM

302 posts, read 590,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmyopinion1 View Post
People making those salaries are administrators or a teacher in the system for 30 years with either a masters plus 60 or a doctorate. I am interested how much do you think that knowledge for your child is worth?
This thread is getting sooo old. Puleeeze, more money doesn't equate to more knowledge for the child. I had a few years of my education in China, and seriously, education there is way better and more advanced than here. They spent very very little compared to here, and teachers didn't make the average household income as they do here. The best teacher I've ever known was from China and the worst one I've ever encountered was from LI. Compared to the rest of the country, LI education may be considered good, but compared to Asian/European education, it's a joke. Education in schools here needs to be supplemented by hours of self study and outside material, especially math. The attitude here is entitlement. I have a masters and have so many credits so I deserve 80k-100k/yr. I work so hard so I deserve tenure, summers off, and retire at 55 with a generous pension and healthcare... blah blah blah, yes it's all about YOU.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 PM

167 posts, read 383,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
The best teacher I've ever known was from China and the worst one I've ever encountered was from LI. Compared to the rest of the country, LI education may be considered good, but compared to Asian/European education, it's a joke. Education in schools here needs to be supplemented by hours of self study and outside material, especially math. The attitude here is entitlement. I have a masters and have so many credits so I deserve 80k-100k/yr. I work so hard so I deserve tenure, summers off, and retire at 55 with a generous pension and healthcare... blah blah blah, yes it's all about YOU.
Not only China & European...my wife came from Peru and is a math wiz (by our standards at least). She went to college while working full time in a deli, and got into one of the most competitive nursing programs on LI. OTOH, My mom has her masters in teaching, and I'm sorry...the highlight of her education was the educational "trip" she took to egypt...to top it off...almost all of it paid for on the taxpayer dime. Yes, she had to attend the classes, but they were paid for, and it was not a gruelling curriculum IMO. Nothing there that weeds out the bad from the good. The colleges (she went to Hofstra) are glad to take the taxpayer $$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island