Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 01:27 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
I haven't seen open drug use. I think that's a San Francisco thing
You're thinking of open defecation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2023, 12:40 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Which is why I wonder when will CA become affordable to the upper-middle class. I made a thread about wanting to move to CA, so I lurk around here. From the info I am gathering, it just doesn't seem worth it now. Rather pay less and deal with less crime, than pay more and deal with more crime.
California is least-affordable for the upper middle class, depending on definition of "upper". This is a combination of high marginal income tax rates, and the high property taxes that one would pay on a nicer/costlier house. Also maybe private school tuition, for parents who don't trust the school system. So the paradox is that if one's financial situation is quite good, where income is high and capacity to buy a house is ample, then the tax-burden will be punitive.

On the other hand, somebody with a middle-middle-class income would not be as affected by marginal income tax rates, and would probably be renting. To my earlier posts, the rental situation in much of LA isn't so dire. Costs, while high, aren't risibly out of step with those of America's other major cities, especially if we consider the DC-Boston corridor.

For the truly wealthy, one supposes that the higher costs don't matter as much. Income might be "managed" to effectively reduce one's AGI. Property tax, while high, becomes a smaller percentage of one's annual consumption at that level.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:50 AM

33,324 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Even the rich are picking up sticks, which tells you how bad things are.

CA lost at least two seats in Congress because of depopulation. I imagine those seats are now in Texas and Florida

No, it didn't.

A more accurate description is that it lost two seats in Congress because of it's change in population relative to what happened to the population in other states, which isn't the same thing.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:42 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
Do you like living in Los Angeles? Why or Why Not? (San Diego: houses, find a job)
I know this is a 9 year old thread, but with so many recent replies, I thought I'd chime in as well.

First of all, what the heck does the "San Diego: houses, find a job" have to do with Los Angeles? Why is this in the thread title?

In short, YES!!! I LOVE living in Los Angeles. Was born and raised here and would never ever move unless its to some place tropical. LA is one of the greatest cities on the planet to live. Just look at how many people from all over the country and the WORLD who have moved here and now call it home. The culture(s), the food, the opportunities, the weather, the art, the pacific ocean, Disneyland, etc. There really is no better place to be.

The only thing I dont really like about LA is the people who move here from other parts of the country then try soooooo very hard to "be LA". Im like, you LIVE in LA but you are really a Texan or a Floridian who so want to be LA. Its why you post on all of your social media accounts pics of you pretending to be LA.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:09 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
what the heck does the "San Diego: houses, find a job" have to do with Los Angeles? Why is this in the thread title?
Those topics are covered in this particular thread. For people to scan before they post, in case one of those subjects is of interest to them.

Quote:
In short, YES!!! I LOVE living in Los Angeles. Just look at how many people from all over the country and the WORLD who have moved here and now call it home. The culture(s), the food, the opportunities, the weather, the art, the pacific ocean, Disneyland, etc. There really is no better place to be.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 12-22-2023, 07:05 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
I know this is a 9 year old thread, but with so many recent replies, I thought I'd chime in as well.

First of all, what the heck does the "San Diego: houses, find a job" have to do with Los Angeles? Why is this in the thread title?

In short, YES!!! I LOVE living in Los Angeles. Was born and raised here and would never ever move unless its to some place tropical. LA is one of the greatest cities on the planet to live. Just look at how many people from all over the country and the WORLD who have moved here and now call it home. The culture(s), the food, the opportunities, the weather, the art, the pacific ocean, Disneyland, etc. There really is no better place to be.

The only thing I dont really like about LA is the people who move here from other parts of the country then try soooooo very hard to "be LA". Im like, you LIVE in LA but you are really a Texan or a Floridian who so want to be LA. Its why you post on all of your social media accounts pics of you pretending to be LA.

But, does that mean the newbies need to procreate and have their second generation to pretend being Angelenos? That’s an awful long wait!

Old 12-22-2023, 07:30 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:

Not even in the County of Los Angeles! But, it IS within an adjacent county.

LA certainly has a lot, there's no doubt. You touched on one huge one. Opportunities. Yep, they're there all right.

Old 02-06-2024, 06:00 AM

50 posts, read 63,235 times
i find LA to be quite dirty and way too many arrogant folk around. I lived in NYC for a decade and also found this to be true in regard to the utter arrogance big city attitude. Guess it just goes with big towns. I bailed outta NYC many years ago to a quieter smaller city life in Europe.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:17 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carminesnow View Post
I bailed outta NYC many years ago to a quieter smaller city life in Europe.
Sure you are in Europe. LOL. Im sure your IP address doesnt indicate so. No one lists their continent as their location. LOL. Which quite small city in Europe are you living in now?

Old 02-07-2024, 09:27 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
I set foot in LA for the first time in 1982. Back then, LA seemed like a docile metropolis as compared to life in NYC where I grew up. People in LA were relatively nice/polite, something I was totally unaccustomed to from my Bronx upbringing. In 1983, I permanently moved to LA and have been here ever since.

Much has changed since then; some for the better, but unfortunately, lots more for the worse.

Life in contemporary LA reminds me of the NYC life I left behind decades ago. Lack of politeness aside, LA now looks like a 3rd world city with beggars, street vendors, and abject filth most everywhere.

No matter how bleak things look, one should always hope for better days, and I do. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles