Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2018, 03:07 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,449,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Are you a member of Antifa??
Maybe a chapter President .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 03:11 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,530 times
LA has warm weather and high cost of living, makes sense they have a lot of homeless. I am from Sweden then moved to USA, my entire town didn't have one homeless person. It is kinda sad and shocking to see his happen in USA, it hurts my heart.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
LA has warm weather and high cost of living, makes sense they have a lot of homeless. I am from Sweden then moved to USA, my entire town didn't have one homeless person. It is kinda sad and shocking to see his happen in USA, it hurts my heart.
Every place has it's problems.

I was in Ireland in October talked to someone from Sweden, after getting robbed 4 times over a couple of years, and witnessing a beating of a Swedish citizen(by a group of "immigrants") they now live in Ireland.

So there you go.

Many small towns and even mid-size towns in America have no homeless people.

LA is the nation's 2nd largest city, and as you mentioned has warm weather. They're not going to freeze to death here.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
^^ from your link (and posted on the Orange County homeless thread a couple of weeks ago):

"...a region where housing costs have soared and gentrification has unsettled one neighborhood after another, pushing more people into their cars and onto the streets.

On skid row, I
(Steve Lopez) asked a social worker if numbers are up.

Yes, he said.

And what's the biggest reason?

"Evictions," he said.
Funny how you totally sugarcoat the homeless problem and totally underestimate how much crime the homeless cause but you admit there's still a crime problem in Venice, which is 95 percent the work of the homeless.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Default "Compassionate" homeless policies make the problem worse.

Great article by John Phillips (of CNN and KABC, not the 1960s singer/songwriter/perv of "California Dreaming", "Monday Monday" and, later, "Kokomo" fame):

"Over the last six years the number of those living in the streets and shelters of the city of Los Angeles and most of the county surged 75 percent.

"If you take out Los Angeles, national homelessness would have dropped last year for the first time since the recession, proving that the homeless crisis is either just a California problem — or that we’re attracting them from other parts of the nation....

"LAPD Detective Michael O’Connor told the Daily News, “We’re in the third week of February, and just about all of our burglary arrests from the calendar year have been transient suspects … More of our suspects who are committing burglary and property crimes are transients. All you need is a rock to get inside a business. And what you stand to gain far exceeds your risk of getting caught. And even when you do get caught, the punishment is so minuscule, so it’s almost worth the risk.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/1...meless-crisis/

Old 02-15-2018, 01:04 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,323,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Every place has it's problems.

I was in Ireland in October talked to someone from Sweden, after getting robbed 4 times over a couple of years, and witnessing a beating of a Swedish citizen(by a group of "immigrants") they now live in Ireland.

So there you go.

Many small towns and even mid-size towns in America have no homeless people.

LA is the nation's 2nd largest city, and as you mentioned has warm weather. They're not going to freeze to death here.
I don´t know what kind of sheltered place Vanderbilt grad grew up in, but we have always had homeless people.
Robberies and beatings are committed by both immigrants and swedish citizens.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:04 AM

472 posts, read 325,474 times
Like feeding a stray cat. It's gonna keep coming back.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:28 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
There are a number of homeless people who have been taken in by compassionate friends, relatives, and without this compassion the number of homeless would be much higher. My Mexican roommate of 19 years never got back on his feet again after the Great Recession. Without me waving his rent, he'd be on the streets. Many people like that are unaccounted for.

On a national average it costs taxpayers roughly $42,500 a year to have one homeless person on our streets (hospitalizations, rehab, prescription drugs, emergency room visits accounts for a big share of it) and imprisonment costs taxpayers (adding in indirect costs) $40-50k a year.

Many of these homeless people are unaware they're eligible for Medicaid. I work in a LTC Rehab facility and we get homeless in for rehab occasionally, and once they leave, it's state/federal law, we can't release them until they've a roof over their head along with food stamps.

I attribute part of the blame for the homelessness in L.A. area to the anti-development, anti-density Nimby's and the antiquated zoning laws. 72% of L.A. county is still zoned for single family homes. And no mid-rises or high-rises allowed on California beach areas.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Funny how you totally sugarcoat the homeless problem and totally underestimate how much crime the homeless cause but you admit there's still a crime problem in Venice, which is 95 percent the work of the homeless.
Link to that 95% figure? I doubt it.

When we lived in Venice, the majority of the crime problem in Venice was due to drugs, according to the police. And few of those people were homeless. When we asked the officers who investigated our burglary, which was done in broad daylight, they said that it's usually done for fast drug money.

From another thread on Venice, from a few years back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Honestly....
I would never walk there without my gun,, but especially not at night. Im not being overly dramatic.. just realistic based upon what I know about the area.. Venice Beach while artsy and yuppified with expensive beach close real estate has huge gang problems (Venice 13)

notme

Old 02-15-2018, 06:45 AM

4,560 posts, read 5,414,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
"Compassionate" homeless policies make the problem worse.
Yeah. That is EXACTLY what we need, less compassion for our fellow man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles