Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
26800 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu 90265
For Sale $15M
You know the place. Thank you for the address. I always seem to miss it when I drive down the coast. Thanks. A little out of my range for now, but I am saving up. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 02:28 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,224 times
Malibu has some nice homes, but the actual city itself is set up to cater to people visiting the beach, so you find lots of fast food outlets and a pretty lame selection of shopping. In short other than the beach there isn't much to do in Malibu. One theater with a really limited selection of movies etc. The other problem with Malibu is that it is really far from the rest of LA. It will take you 20 minutes to get to Santa Monica and then it will often take you another 20 minutes from there to get to where you are going.

You also have to deal with the fairly regular occurance of fires and mudslides.

If it were me, I would probably prefer either the Palisades or Santa Monica to Malibu. You are closer to LA, its easier to get in and out of those areas and fires and mudslides are going to be less of an issue.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:31 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
My sister used to work for a limo service in Thousand Oaks. A couple of celebs that have used the Limo service also pay to have items brought to them. One celeb uses the service to have Starbucks delivered. How is that for a $150 cup of Java plus the drivers tip. No the amenities are lacking, but if you can afford to have someone deliver who needs a supermarket near by.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:02 PM

25 posts, read 42,846 times
Default Malibu

Some of the opinions people gave on Malibu was pretty interesting and a bit surprising, so I just had to join and put in my 2 cents here.

If Malibu is a "ghetto", then it's a pretty awesome one IMO. I've vacationed in Malibu twice in the past two years, and just had the time of my life. It was a real dream come true for me! The hotel I stayed at was really cozy and it had its own beach, but I went over to Zuma, too. I was lucky enough to find some nice shells on the beach, too. Took the tour of Adamson House historic home and gardens. That was very nice, too. Everyone there was very nice to me, and I didn't encounter any racist attitudes. (I'm African-American.) I enjoyed looking at the various shops at the Country Mart and Colony Plaza. I even saw my favorite star there at Starbucks...and believe it or not, he actually approached me FIRST! Sorry for sounding a bit starstruck, but I gotta admit that was a real thrill and an honor for this gal. It certainly wasn't something I thought would ever happen to me when I was growing up in the projects back in Cleveland!

It's too bad I can't afford to live in Malibu on a permanent basis. It's nice to dream about, but I'm a realist...so I'll be remaining in more affordable Oregon and just be content to visit the "Bu" from time to time...but if I win the lottery someday, I am soooo there

Last edited by ladycascadia; 01-09-2009 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: correcting spelling

Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Incorrect on this one James. Malibu is one of the most liberal open and accepting places you'll find. Folks there were strong supporters of prop 8...
Strong supporters of Hat8? So much for being liberal, open, and accepting! (I think you meant opposers.)

Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Strong supporters of Hat8? So much for being liberal, open, and accepting! (I think you meant opposers.)
What surprises some people is that the wealthiest parts of LA are often the most liberal. The Westside has always had super-far Left representatives [ie Tom Hayden\ Sheila Kuehl]. The LA Times showed that the racial breakdown of voters in LA is that "whites" are the most liberal unlike what one would encounter in other parts of the U.S.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Malibu looks looks much better from above on aerial shots than it does when you're actually there. It looks so dry, and the all those shabby brown buildings which house the pathetic shopping in Malibu look hideous. I much prefer Santa Barbara.

Malibu is overrated and too far from LA so it feels like it's in the boonies. It also doesn't feel as "fabulous" and happening as other comparable affluent beach towns like The Hamptons.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
Malibu looks looks much better from above on aerial shots than it does when you're actually there. It looks so dry, and the all those shabby brown buildings which house the pathetic shopping in Malibu look hideous. I much prefer Santa Barbara.

Malibu is overrated and too far from LA so it feels like it's in the boonies. It also doesn't feel as "fabulous" and happening as other comparable affluent beach towns like The Hamptons.
Malibu is more a residential area than resort like Santa Barbara. Malibu is basically a retreat away from LA for those wealthy enough to live on the beach. Now, many who live in Malibu are in the hills well above the ocean with fabulous homes & horse ranches. These are the uber-rich who don't shop in grocery stores & helicopter into Los Angeles.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
What surprises some people is that the wealthiest parts of LA are often the most liberal. The Westside has always had super-far Left representatives [ie Tom Hayden\ Sheila Kuehl]. The LA Times showed that the racial breakdown of voters in LA is that "whites" are the most liberal unlike what one would encounter in other parts of the U.S.

I agree, Malibu is very liberal as is most other wealthy Californian enclaves (well, besides that horror show of Orange County but I don't even want to get started).

Malibu went heavily towards Barack Obama during the primaries.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s63 View Post
I agree, Malibu is very liberal as is most other wealthy Californian enclaves (well, besides that horror show of Orange County but I don't even want to get started).

Malibu went heavily towards Barack Obama during the primaries.
Lots of $ came from Malibu [ie Barbara Streisand\ Hollywood stars].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles