Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2019, 02:27 PM

567 posts, read 431,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Everyone I know who moved to Phoenix from California did so because they had to, not because they wanted to.

If they could, they'd all be back here in a heartbeat.

I can't speak for the Midwesterners who move to Phoenix, though. I'm sure they love the warmer climate and proximity to California.

If proximity to California didn't matter, then El Paso and Albuquerque would be full of Midwesterners, and neither is.
My niece recently moved to Phoenix from LA. She's getting use to it, but really misses LA. In Phoenix she's pays $1,200 for a very nice One bedroom apartment. The same apartment in LA would likely rent for 2K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
maybe you should go break out of that bubble and check out Phoenix. It's not exactly Tombstone. They even have new fangled things like malls and museums movie theaters, parks, every restaurant chain they have here they also have there.. They have lakes usually near top rated golf courses. They have some of the best hiking in the US ... ever heard of the Superstition Mountains??? The only thing Phx doesn't have that so cal does is a ocean and beach although they have a man made one. All for half the price of so cal and a lot less traffic and nice roads.
I visit Phoenix regularly and it just doesn't compare to LA and the summer heat is absolutely brutal. Californians move there because it's affordable, not because of the entertainment value. Although the city continues to grow, it still feels like a sprawling suburb.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Going to Disneyland isn't worth it to many anymore. The traffic, crime, taxes, etc. If you still need to get your fill, go for it. I was at Ca. beaches practically daily as a teenager. Don't care anymore. Lakes, trails, museums in every state. If you want L.A. or Frisco, you take the trash that goes with it.

People have been moving out of L.A. for decades, replaced by illegals and others that bring their own culture. That results in black and white flight. Enjoy the 405 parking lot and Disneyland in the overpriced sanctuary state.
I'm not sure where you get your information, but the crime rate in LA is lower than Phoenix, even with all those despicable illegals roaming our streets. And the population of LA has gone up, not down in the past 10 years. It's a very diverse, multicultural city, with endless opportunities. There's a reason folks come to LA from every corner of the world, not just to visit, but to stay. It's one of the top 3 tourist destinations in the US, along with New York City and Miami.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
I once bragged about L.A. and California. Not any more. They're a national embarrassment. Phoenix is way too hot. The traffic, taxes, COL, crime, culture of L.A. has changed over recent decades. Not for me anymore. Building my house in the Midwest on acreage as we speak for a lot less than an average condo in L.A. would be. Lower property taxes, sales tax, and no income tax. Ca. also has the highest gas taxes in the country.
The Midwest has been declining in population for years. If it weren't for the influx of immigrants the situation would be even more dire.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Lived in Phoenix almost 4 years and now living in CA. Originally from chicago.
Here are my 2 cents.

Phoenix itself does not feel like a city, its a bunch sprawling suburbs. DT is coming along, but its DT is not even close to Cleveland or Columbus, OH.

Scottsdale or as many call it snottsdale and Cave creek are nice. Chandler is more family oriented.
Not impressed with tempe. Alot of places in phoenix can be ugly.

Lots of driving, but traffic is better. The food is overrated. People are ok , but scottsdale is very showy and can be pretentious.
The public education system is rated one of worst in the nation, thus alot parents try to send their kids to private schools.

The biggest advantage in arizona is cost of living and being able to buy a nice house with a growing job market, but the biggest downside is the heat which is unbearable. Even long time residents cant stand it and try to take vacation time in the summer or even try to leave in the summer time. It can be 100+ for 5 months and it doesn't end till early october. It doesnt offer all the things CA has, but some people dont really care about that and just want to stay in their house all the time and look at the scenery.

If you can can take the heat in AZ then its a decent place to live.
My sentiments exactly. If you don't mind the heat and somewhat drab suburban sprawl, Phoenix can be a pleasant place to live.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Anyone that lives in the Valley or east of the 710 deals with heat.
At least people in the Valley can drive over the hill for some relief from heat. I've been to Phoenix in the summer and it's miserably hot. Not only is it hot but the air around you is hot. It can be 100 degrees at midnight. I'll take 2 or 3 months of Valley heat over 5 months of Phoenix heat any day.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Those who bought homes decades ago are now making huge profits, and they're cashing out. I don't blame them.

Better for them to cash out now because if there's another financial crisis like 2008, their home values would be close to nothing.
Not even decades ago... co-worker bought in 2011 and paid 320k for his single family 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath view lot.

8 years later he is in Escrow at 825k... all they did was paint and water the landscaping... no new roofs or other improvements...

They are retiring to AZ because each has a sibling living there... they spent Christmas visiting and said let's do it.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I completely agree there are people like yourself that do that, and there are many that dont. Like myself And according to LinkedIn, the 100,000k + moving over there every year from L.A. area.
I too enjoy the many cultural aspects of LA. And it's only getting better. I may be retired but I'm not dead. Hell, I get a thrill out of riding the Red Line subway to Downtown LA. Or catching at concert at the Hollywood Bowl. What keep me on my toes is the number of out of town visitors we get. And they want to see it all, from the Hollywood Walk of Fame, to Venice Beach, The Getty Museum, LACMA, The Broad, Beverly Hills, Universal Studios, Griffith Observatory, etc.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:00 PM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Those who bought homes decades ago are now making huge profits...

Better for them to cash out now because if there's another financial crisis like 2008, their home values would be close to nothing.
False. Their homes aren't going to go back to the value they were decades ago.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:06 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
False. Their homes aren't going to go back to the value they were decades ago.
Yes. Wishful thinking from people that are priced out of the LA housing market. People who keep making that argument don't understand why the housing bubble burst in 2008 because if they did they would understand that the same situation isn't going to happen again. People that are selling now and moving out of state will never be able to afford to move back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles