Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 09:27 AM

1,336 posts, read 929,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Which has exactly what to do with anything? Are you suggesting that homelessness is partisan specific? You might want to stop and consider whether the problem has existed under every kind of administration ... just sayin’
Of course, homelessness has existed since the beginning of humanity.
Some base level of California homelessness is due to economic pressure (people living paycheck to paycheck with no safety net in time of rising rents) and mental illness, which is not a left or right policy issue per se.
What I do think California policy encourages is drug use with a lack of enforcement and essentially a drug sanctuary, if not homeless sanctuary, status. Of course most Demo's will think it's not their problem, not their policies, and so will vote in more taxes to double down on dumb policies, and exacerbate the whole situation. It will take years for them to be walked down the plank till the very end before they bitterly regret their support for the Cali nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 09:58 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Some base level of California homelessness is due to economic pressure (people living paycheck to paycheck with no safety net in time of rising rents) and mental illness, which is not a left or right policy issue per se.
What I do think California policy encourages is drug use with a lack of enforcement and essentially a drug sanctuary, if not homeless sanctuary, status. Of course most Demo's will think it's not their problem, not their policies, and so will vote in more taxes to double down on dumb policies, and exacerbate the whole situation. It will take years for them to be walked down the plank till the very end before they bitterly regret their support for the Cali nonsense.
Hmmm ...

Homelessness doesn’t exist in primitive societies ... so, no, not “since the beginning of humanity”, but yes, since antiquity ... after the dawn of the neolithic age of agriculture enabling growth of societies into unruly, large cultures, yep.

But drug culture has also always existed. Massively. In most cultures since essentially forever. Under all kinds of rule, ideologies, religions, cultures, political systems. Chinese opium dens ring a bell? Worst opiod abuse rates are where: red-Trump country, W. Virginia, you say? ... Ohio? ... Kentucky?

Ayup!

California dem policy my arse ...

Old 03-24-2019, 09:59 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,549,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
People arent joking, they are pissed off. There is tremendous vitriol towards libs taking away traditional values.
"Traditional values" ? ? ?

i.e. Keeping certain people "in their place" right?

And, if people who purport to have "traditional values" have to resort to spreading a rumor that a former First Lady has a penis, what does that say about their so-called "traditional values" ?

Old 03-24-2019, 10:17 AM

427 posts, read 368,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I didn't want to dig through the thread to find the exact post you replied to, but speaking from experience I'm with you. And reading that drivel about how good someone can have it in Phoenix... I don't see one of the default emojis being someone laughing so hard their abdomen rips open making their organs spill out. I'm not really lying either, as I really did laugh at that post to which you replied because it's so ridiculous, exaggerated, and inaccurate. You can find plenty of examples throughout history of people believing there are vast riches and superior quality of life on the other side, only to discover they were grossly misinformed or were conned into a falsehood, including migration to the Central Valley from Dust Bowl states in the 1930s, or millions of European immigrants immigrating to America in the late 19th to early 20th centuries, in both cases finding conditions to be less lucrative and less ideal than they originally believed. Phoenix exemplifies this at this time, but it's not exactly chiming in to correct this fallacy, as its "economy" is reliant on people physically being there.

I heard an interesting theory once, that modern medicine is keeping alive humans that natural selection is trying to eliminate to improve the gene pool, hence why people do really stupid things and doctors save them. Going by that theory, I think it's entirely plausible that the draw to Phoenix and places like it (with people buying into bizarre promises of life there) could possibly be nature trying to correct itself and isolate bad DNA from propagating the species, instead trying to create a new dead-end in evolution. Spend some time interacting with people in Phoenix, and that makes sense. Unlike the above examples of migration, living and economic conditions aren't quite as severe, and the motivations aren't as dire, which is what makes me feel this isn't merely a matter of survival for the individual.
A home in Pacific Palasades is millions. A nice home in Gilbert is $275k. I'll sacrifice some weather for that kind of deal.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:18 AM

427 posts, read 368,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
"Traditional values" ? ? ?

i.e. Keeping certain people "in their place" right?

And, if people who purport to have "traditional values" have to resort to spreading a rumor that a former First Lady has a penis, what does that say about their so-called "traditional values" ?
You clearly need to be put in your place. Come on out to San Dimas and interact with some folks, you'll be straightened out quickly.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:22 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritased View Post
Might I suggest that you watch the documentary on HBO, "Meth Storm"?
Quote:
Meth Storm, a new HBO documentary that debuts Monday, November 27, explores how ice has infiltrated “nine out of 10” households in one rural Arkansas community, and follows local law enforcement’s efforts to cope with this influx. Directed and produced by brothers Brent and Craig Renaud, the documentary follows the community for two years, capturing the hopelessness that ice brings.

One woman, Veronica, shoots up with her son Teddy to welcome him home from jail. Veronica and two of her three children, including Teddy, use meth. Veronica doesn’t see much hope for her community, where nine out of ten houses are affected by drug abuse, she says. https://www.thefix.com/hbo-doc-meth-...as-ice-problem
The penalty for possession of meth in Arkansas is 2-10 years, in California it is a maximum of 1 year, so if "policy" influences drug use, why is the per capita rate of drug use lower in California than it is in Arkansas? Your 'facts' are unsubstantiated claims cobbled together to support your hyper-partisan views.

Long prison sentences do not deter people from trying drugs or 'cure' those who are addicted to drugs. Drug use isn't less prevalent in red states than blue states, look at the rate of drug abuse in the US. The five states with the biggest drug problem in the US are: DC, Missouri, New Hampshire, Michigan and West Virginia. https://wallethub.com/edu/drug-use-by-state/35150/

You can continue to brag about your perfect life, your perfect family and your conservative values, but the fact is that you are just as likely as anyone else to wake up tomorrow and find out that someone you love just died of an overdose or was arrested for drug possession. You are not immune, no one is.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
You clearly need to be put in your place. Come on out to San Dimas and interact with some folks, you'll be straightened out quickly.
By whom? Really?

Quote:
A home in Pacific Palasades is millions. A nice home in Gilbert is $275k. I'll sacrifice some weather for that kind of deal.
A bland, monochrome, sterile suburb full of keyed-up, culture less, perpetually materialist Rush Limbaugh groupies? I definitely see how that appeals to you.

As for me, no thanks! That's your thing, sweetie!

Have fun with that!

Old 03-24-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The bottom line for me is I have no desire or interest in living in cities like Phoenix or Las Vegas. Honestly it's like you get what you pay for.

Phoenix reminded me of San Bernardino, Riverside or Antelope Valley. Deserted hot streets during the day. It didn't even remind of a big city. No thanks.
And, I'd rather live in Riverside or Antelope Valley before I ever lived in Phoenix or Las Vegas.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:45 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Good to hear ...enjoy! Bon voyage!

Old 03-24-2019, 11:24 AM

1,336 posts, read 929,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hmmm ...

Homelessness doesn’t exist in primitive societies ... so, no, not “since the beginning of humanity”, but yes, since antiquity ... after the dawn of the neolithic age of agriculture enabling growth of societies into unruly, large cultures, yep.

But drug culture has also always existed. Massively. In most cultures since essentially forever. Under all kinds of rule, ideologies, religions, cultures, political systems. Chinese opium dens ring a bell? Worst opiod abuse rates are where: red-Trump country, W. Virginia, you say? ... Ohio? ... Kentucky?

Ayup!

California dem policy my arse ...
Sleepy, I find your posts ineffective, sorry, not motivated to respond.

Tulemutt, on the other hand. Fine, if you call your early primate relatives well domiciled under a tree or cave, then go right on ahead. I call that homeless and living rough.

But then you say drug culture existed forever, no, that one doesn't stick at all. I don't think meth was being cooked in the Roman Empire. Also, I'd like you NOT to visit Singapore, China or Japan today with your stash of even California legal weed. I like having you around to debate on these forums.

Drug abuse is not the way of life for most people. Not judging how anybody got there, just saying just because I am not in a position to judge, doesn't mean I think it's strictly to be avoided and bad for you in all ways possible.

To let what is going on in Cali, especially in Bay area, is simply wrong and disgusting... just a way for Democrats to pander to extreme progressives for votes. As they do on the topic of illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles