Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 04:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Look no further - weed and laziness. My husband has the WORSE time trying to get young guys to work out on the tugs. They do not want to work the weekend as they love to party. Plus I hate to say this - they are LAZY today. Just a fact. Here's another truth - many will not work in my husband's line of work because of RANDOM drug checks. Can't have people doing drugs and being responsible on a large vessel. Too dangerous as well.
Too many of the young have been sold on the idea they should work behind a computer desk, doing little and getting a fat paycheck. Almost every employer I talk to has a very hard time finding good workers among the young today. They want everything free, but are not willing to work in the way that actually pays for everything. Partying, etc., is the main goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 05:09 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I've had a few people fail their drug test. People think because CA says it's legal, that they can do it. Aerospace companies work on Federal contracts, and they say weed is a no-no. So no BIG will hire anyone that smokes weed.

it's kind of dumb too. You can go get sloppy drunk all you want. But heaven forbid you toke on your days off.

Personally, I'd much rather have a pot head than a drunk work for me. (Ideally they'd abstain completely)

Old 05-15-2019, 05:19 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Exactly, i recently saw job opening that requires a person to have CPA license and they are paying $15 an hour. I coudn't stop laughing for good 20 minutes.
i was paid more than that 15 yrs ago and i dont even have a license here

Old 05-15-2019, 05:21 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,934 times
Quote:
Look no further - weed and laziness. My husband has the WORSE time trying to get young guys to work out on the tugs. They do not want to work the weekend as they love to party. Plus I hate to say this - they are LAZY today. Just a fact. Here's another truth - many will not work in my husband's line of work because of RANDOM drug checks. Can't have people doing drugs and being responsible on a large vessel. Too dangerous as well.
i could do weekend jobs...whats the job?

Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Most of those talented guys moved to Texas
Your company needs to move to Houston. There's a large Boeing office across the street from a university campus (similar to UC-Irvine). NASA's Johnson Space Center is just down the street. Houston isn't Space City U.S.A. for nothing! The days of aerospace in SoCal are long over, just like oil.

Clear Lake has that South O.C. (similar to Irvine) vibe to it. There are new houses in League City (not the '80s-'90s new home B.S.) down The 45 freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I've had a few people fail their drug test. People think because CA says it's legal, that they can do it. Aerospace companies work on Federal contracts, and they say weed is a no-no. So no BIG will hire anyone that smokes weed.
Sad that the Federal Government is still puritanical, mostly due to the Southern Sunbelt Conservative Republicans.

But what did you expect in SoCal where house parties in the hills are rampant? Would you turn down an invitation to one so to bump elbows with celebrities and fixers that can make-or-break your dream career, especially if you're a budding artist trying to break into the entertainment industry (while having to work a s-tty side job you hate to make ends meet in the meantime, such as aerospace)?

Old 05-16-2019, 10:50 AM

427 posts, read 368,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Your company needs to move to Houston. There's a large Boeing office across the street from a university campus (similar to UC-Irvine). NASA's Johnson Space Center is just down the street. Houston isn't Space City U.S.A. for nothing! The days of aerospace in SoCal are long over, just like oil.

Clear Lake has that South O.C. (similar to Irvine) vibe to it. There are new houses in League City (not the '80s-'90s new home B.S.) down The 45 freeway.

Sad that the Federal Government is still puritanical, mostly due to the Southern Sunbelt Conservative Republicans.

But what did you expect in SoCal where house parties in the hills are rampant? Would you turn down an invitation to one so to bump elbows with celebrities and fixers that can make-or-break your dream career, especially if you're a budding artist trying to break into the entertainment industry (while having to work a s-tty side job you hate to make ends meet in the meantime, such as aerospace)?
Aerospace is not crappy, its pretty laid back and high tech. And for legacy employees at larger firms, the benefits are top notch. 40 to 50 paid days off a year is nice.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:20 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
You probably need to rewrite your job posting and post it to more platforms. You need someone in Human Resources with strong verbal skills to convey the kind of position it is and talent it requires. As a math-oriented person your communications skills probably aren’t great.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,548,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
You probably need to rewrite your job posting and post it to more platforms. You need someone in Human Resources with strong verbal skills to convey the kind of position it is and talent it requires. As a math-oriented person your communications skills probably aren’t great.

Agreed. Although, nothing to do with being "math-oriented"

Old 05-16-2019, 11:44 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,380 times
Either a poorly written job description, bad Glassdoor reviews, or you're looking for a purple unicorn candidate. Or perhaps people are finding on Glassdoor that particular position at your company has low salaries posted.

Last edited by BrianGC; 05-16-2019 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Interesting. I have always wanted to work on a tug boat. Maybe 25 years ago I was friends with one of the Brusco's. They lived near us. I had the chance to go out on one of the tugs to bring a ship in to the Port of Hueneme. Do they have part time weekends available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles