Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 AM

427 posts, read 368,299 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to fill an aerospace technical position at an extremely large aerospace company here in L.A. for months. The resumes I receive are garbage, why? If the schools and colleges are so good in CA, why are colleagues of mine recruiting from states with wonderful school systems like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa? Where is all the talent in CA? I can't find any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 10:44 AM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Where did you get the idea that CA schools are good? The universities--yes. How the CC's are doing, I don't know. Maybe part of the problem is that too many higher ed students are going into computer tech, not enough in engineering? IDK, OP.

But I've read about your issue before. The auto industry, and other manufacturing industries, have been having a similar problem for a long time. What used to be jobs that didn't require anything above a HS education, now require some engineering background that involves computer tech. The people filling the relatively unskilled labor class haven't caught on to that issue, and most CC's haven't, either. There have been examples of industry partnering with CC's, to set up the kinds of training programs industry needs applicants to have on their resume.

Why the education system hasn't adapted to these developments in industry, I don't know. At this point, these needs on the part of industry aren't new. It's been at least a couple of decades, since blue-collar industrial jobs went in the direction of higher-level skills. Maybe you could organize some of your colleagues to address legislators and the CA Dept. of Education on this score.

Part of the problem could also be the skyrocketing cost of higher ed, even at the CC level. Maybe those states you mention get more support for higher ed from their legislatures? Maybe their high schools have better voc ed programs? I've seen reports on TV about how voc ed got cut from school budgets long ago, now.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:45 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Because the real talent don't do that sort of work here anymore, due to a number of societal factors. Good luck with that...

Old 05-14-2019, 10:46 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
I am guessing you have high standard for what you want. The people that live here know the cost of living and those that are fully qualified are probably not applying because you are not paying high enough for their skills.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:49 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Perhaps Boomers should have passed the torch to Gen X, instead of "going with the flow".

Old 05-14-2019, 10:52 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Not paying enough for the COL.
Whatever you're offering probably sounds good to candidates from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa but not to a local.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I've been trying to fill an aerospace technical position
There's your first problem. Most of those talented guys moved to Texas and Washington after California Democrats chased away pretty much all aerospace and manufacturing jobs (Space X notwithstanding) with extremely high taxes and compliance burdens.

- similar salaries
- lower taxes
- lower housing costs
- less traffic

I'm surprised you hire anyone at all being based in California.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:56 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,429 times
Bring me in, man!

I have been trying to find a job in LA while sitting in DC for several months, without any luck. It seems like being an out-of-state applicant is a major challenge w.r.t the LA market.

I have 10+ years of experience in IT Management Consulting, about to complete a Masters degree and have several skills and certs. I am even open to relocating on my own expense!

Old 05-14-2019, 11:22 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,120,086 times
How much are you paying? That's the real question.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,756,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I've been trying to fill an aerospace technical position at an extremely large aerospace company here in L.A. for months. The resumes I receive are garbage, why? If the schools and colleges are so good in CA, why are colleagues of mine recruiting from states with wonderful school systems like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa? Where is all the talent in CA? I can't find any.
Pay more and you will find the talent. Of course YOU would assume it has to do with the schools in CA (another bashing thread).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles