Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 01:55 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
I think that expatCA just wants to prove he's a stereotypical babyboomer that is completely oblivious to what actually going on in the modern workplace.
The Baby Boomer generation has been suppressing advancement for Gen Xr's and Millennials, and now the Gen Zr's -- all trying to get into the workforce.

They've had control of the workplace for going-on 35 years now -- the longest of any generation on record! They just don't want to give up the reigns of power.

Gen Xr's should be in upper level management, but they aren't. At best, they're mid-level managers or lower-tier supervisors. Millennials should be mid-level managers by now, but they're still at entry-level, with the Gen Zr's nipping at their heels trying to push through the door now.

There's this huge logjam because Baby Boomers are, for whatever reason, reluctant to retire and let the younger generations have at it. Instead, they throw these nasty little barbs at the younger generations. How easily they forget that their "Greatest Generation" parents thought they were scum at one point, too.

I don't know if their reluctance to move over is greed? ...crappy financial decisions earlier in life? ...or a combo of both? It's very unprecedented, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 02:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 666,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You are simply showing how little you know about me.

I am involved in new technology I have created and work with many companies you would know .
Being involved with new technology has nothing to do with employing and/or being familiar with working people between the ages of 18-29 ("Young People").

Quote:
Too many of the young have been sold on the idea they should work behind a computer desk, doing little and getting a fat paycheck. Almost every employer I talk to has a very hard time finding good workers among the young today. They want everything free, but are not willing to work in the way that actually pays for everything. Partying, etc., is the main goal.
rofl. Mr. Boomer what should be the main goal for Young People since you clearly know what is so good for them? Maybe you should worry more about yourself than stereotyping people you clearly have no knowledge about. Maybe out in whatever flyover state you live in the Young People are just out there partying all day. But in places like LA where it's expensive to live with cut throat industries, either you work the grind and succeed or you fail and leave to go back home to whatever small town tumbleweed village you came from.

It's so obvious how out of touch you are with Young People that actually work in LA.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
Because that is all they do, along with Fortnite and jamming the latest Drake collabo.
I have 6 kids. None of them are into drugs. Three are older than 20. One is a graphic artist. One works at the Port on big ships. A third works two jobs and is in school. They are too busy working and building a life to be wasting it on video games and drugs. By the way, Fortnite is old news. I also have an 18 year old who graduates high school next month and off to chase his degree after summer, a 14 year old in high school, and a 7th grader. My 14 year old is an athlete scholar, meaning he has at least a 3.5GPA. He is also completing his Eagle Scout which he should have completed by November. He is a second degree Black Belt in Taekwondo. At age 14 he has found ways to make money on his own and has saved an impressive amount for someone his age. He also spends money on game systems, so yes he does play video games. He is also into oldies, swing, big band music, and stuff I never heard before.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Being involved with new technology has nothing to do with employing and/or being familiar with working people between the ages of 18-29 ("Young People").

rofl. Mr. Boomer what should be the main goal for Young People since you clearly know what is so good for them? Maybe you should worry more about yourself than stereotyping people you clearly have no knowledge about. Maybe out in whatever flyover state you live in the Young People are just out there partying all day. But in places like LA where it's expensive to live with cut throat industries, either you work the grind and succeed or you fail and leave to go back home to whatever small town tumbleweed village you came from.

It's so obvious how out of touch you are with Young People that actually work in LA.
Sorry you are wrong again. I have and do employ people of all ages. You have minimal understanding of reality. Just look at what the young ask for on these forums, who are filling up all the restaurants, Starbucks, etc. Oh and maybe living 5 to a 2 bdrm apt.

Do I worry about myself. Not much, I worked hard all my life , still work part timein my businesses I created and do business world wide, oh and no college debt as I never went to college and ... due to hard work I learned a lot and now have many patents and have created technology no one else has. I am quite familiar with the poor end of things as I was raised poor due to my father dying when I was a child. I own a couple of CA Corporations and have employed young and old in CA since about ... 1974. Never paid minimum wage to any of them, always above it. Born and raised in SoCal and lived there for 55 years.

You just don't like being wrong and try to find someone to blame for what you want and can't get. Mind you SoCal and other areas are very expensive, but that is life and will not change. Make enough or move or .. live 5 to a 2 bdrm apt or in your car. OH, and the older baby Boomers I know that are still working, need the income as costs go up for everyone and they have to work to live.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:32 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,774,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I've been trying to fill an aerospace technical position at an extremely large aerospace company here in L.A. for months. The resumes I receive are garbage, why? If the schools and colleges are so good in CA, why are colleagues of mine recruiting from states with wonderful school systems like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa? Where is all the talent in CA? I can't find any.
I will tell you EXACTLY WHY: Your HR recruiters have disqualified all the few experts who already applied for the jobs online, based on buzzword matching. For example if someone lists the high level technology work experience, but forgets to mention that he can write a power point presentation or type on a keyboard, the person will be disqualified and the hiring engineering manager will never see the resume of the candidate. This happened to me, but not in LA. Actually this is way too common. Tell your internal HR recruiter to forward you ALL resumes to you, and do not screen out people who the recruiter thinks are "obviously" not qualified. You might have to yell at them on the phone or escalate to upper management. Then wait 2 months and you will get what you are looking for.
The skill requirement that you write down, and the skill requirement that your HR thinks that applies, are different. So they screen candidates not based on what you want, but based on what they want.
CUT THE HR PRE-SCREENING OUT OF THE PROCESS COMPLETELY.
HR is 100% counter-productive.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:39 PM

1,203 posts, read 666,874 times
Quote:
Sorry you are wrong again. I have and do employ people of all ages. You have minimal understanding of reality. Just look at what the young ask for on these forums, who are filling up all the restaurants, Starbucks, etc. Oh and maybe living 5 to a 2 bdrm apt.

Do I worry about myself. Not much, I worked hard all my life , still work part timein my businesses I created and do business world wide, oh and no college debt as I never went to college and ... due to hard work I learned a lot and now have many patents and have created technology no one else has. I am quite familiar with the poor end of things as I was raised poor due to my father dying when I was a child. I own a couple of CA Corporations and have employed young and old in CA since about ... 1974. Never paid minimum wage to any of them, always above it. Born and raised in SoCal and lived there for 55 years.

You just don't like being wrong and try to find someone to blame for what you want and can't get. Mind you SoCal and other areas are very expensive, but that is life and will not change. Make enough or move or .. live 5 to a 2 bdrm apt or in your car. OH, and the older baby Boomers I know that are still working, need the income as costs go up for everyone and they have to work to live.
It’s pretty telling that you went off on a new complete tangent, but honestly not that surprising for someone elderly to remain focused on the original point. However, since you want to go off and start projecting about me, I am more than happy to respond. Thanks for your concern about my financial situation, but my wife and I own a house in Orange County as well as a small condo in West LA off Veteran/Wilshire to ease commuting for my wife’s job. We gross a strong six figures each year and don’t have any kids, ergo $$$.

I also found it very interesting how you felt the need to mention that you don’t have any college education. Pretty obvious how defensive you are about this which I’m guessing is due to people giving you less respect and that growing into an inferiority complex over time. That definitely has to hurt not being able to fit in with the other educated professional class in your social circle.

I am not wrong at all in anything I have stated so far and haven’t blamed anyone. In fact, it was YOU who was blaming Young People (previously defined in my post above) for their complete lack of work ethic and a whole litany of other issues. All of my young subordinates are great and bust their asses, but then we also only hire college graduates and pay them a pretty decent starting salary so we can actually get qualified applicants.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It’s pretty telling that you went off on a new complete tangent, but honestly not that surprising for someone elderly to remain focused on the original point. However, since you want to go off and start projecting about me, I am more than happy to respond. Thanks for your concern about my financial situation, but my wife and I own a house in Orange County as well as a small condo in West LA off Veteran/Wilshire to ease commuting for my wife’s job. We gross a strong six figures each year and don’t have any kids, ergo $$$.

Good for you.

According to your posts you must be a Boomer?

Quote:
I also found it very interesting how you felt the need to mention that you don’t have any college education. Pretty obvious how defensive you are about this which I’m guessing is due to people giving you less respect and that growing into an inferiority complex over time. That definitely has to hurt not being able to fit in with the other educated professional class in your social circle.
Uh, I mention college to show it is NOT necessary. All a college or university does is accelerate the learning in an area. Anyone with a few brains can learn outside of such as well. I did because I had to support myself and my mother after HS. As for respect it is not an issue as I do not care one way or another on a personal level. My ego does not require it. As to my businesses, yes a lot of respect due to my work. I started every business in SoCal as well. I have good friends who are business owners and College and University professors in several Countries. Your efforts above to put me down shows more about you than me.

Quote:
I am not wrong at all in anything I have stated so far and haven’t blamed anyone. In fact, it was YOU who was blaming Young People (previously defined in my post above) for their complete lack of work ethic and a whole litany of other issues. All of my young subordinates are great and bust their asses, but then we also only hire college graduates and pay them a pretty decent starting salary so we can actually get qualified applicants.
Maybe you missed my point. It isn't all young people just a huge number of them. Yes I know and have hired those with good work ethics, but they are harder to find than they used to be. I do business with many large companies and they complain about this a lot.

It is part of why many companies are hiring people from overseas. While a lot of it is a cheaper wage, it is also because of knowledge, not just degrees, and willingness to work.

This is part of why there is an issue with: such a lack of employable talent in Los Angeles? The name of this thread.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The Baby Boomer generation has been suppressing advancement for Gen Xr's and Millennials, and now the Gen Zr's -- all trying to get into the workforce.
Where did you come up with this idea?

Quote:
They just don't want to give up the reigns of power.
You've got to be kidding.

Quote:
Gen Xr's should be in upper level management, but they aren't. At best, they're mid-level managers or lower-tier supervisors. There's this huge logjam because Baby Boomers are, for whatever reason, reluctant to retire and let the younger generations have at it.
I doubt that there's EVER been a generation--Baby Boomers included--who are reluctant to retire because of greed or not wanting the next generation to reach their career potential.

People continue to work because either they like their job or they have to work. No one is trying to keep anyone from achieving the job they desire.

Quote:
I don't know if their reluctance to move over is greed? ...crappy financial decisions earlier in life? ...or a combo of both? It's very unprecedented, however.
The only aspects that are unprecedented about this is the number of people born in that generation, and the fact that they're living longer than the generation before them.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Where did you come up with this idea?

You've got to be kidding.

I doubt that there's EVER been a generation--Baby Boomers included--who are reluctant to retire because of greed or not wanting the next generation to reach their career potential.

People continue to work because either they like their job or they have to work. No one is trying to keep anyone from achieving the job they desire.

The only aspects that are unprecedented about this is the number of people born in that generation, and the fact that they're living longer than the generation before them.
Good points.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:03 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
Quote:
But in places like LA where it's expensive to live with cut throat industries, either you work the grind and succeed or you fail and leave to go back home to whatever small town tumbleweed village you came from.
There are lots of people with success and high incomes in LA but they can't afford to buy a home or pay rent because cost of living is outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles