Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 10:38 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I've been trying to fill an aerospace technical position at an extremely large aerospace company here in L.A. for months. The resumes I receive are garbage, why? If the schools and colleges are so good in CA, why are colleagues of mine recruiting from states with wonderful school systems like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa? Where is all the talent in CA? I can't find any.
You should try to recruit in NYC especially areas with a lot of Bangladeshi and Chinese kids, and offer pointers on housing near transit (most people here don't have driver's licenses). We have a crisis of MS Engineering grads from City College getting sucked into Wall Street. They're going to jump at the chance to finally be able to move out of their parents Public Housing projects apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 09:53 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
There are lots of people with success and high incomes in LA but they can't afford to buy a home or pay rent because cost of living is outrageous.

Anyone that is making 100+ and can't afford to buy real estate needs to reexamine their spending habit. Sure you can make 500k and not be able to afford to buy real estate but that all depends on your priority. Some people would rather spend 1500 a month on car payment, eat out 3 times a day in sit down restaurant etc.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:40 PM

241 posts, read 143,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Anyone that is making 100+ and can't afford to buy real estate needs to reexamine their spending habit. Sure you can make 500k and not be able to afford to buy real estate but that all depends on your priority. Some people would rather spend 1500 a month on car payment, eat out 3 times a day in sit down restaurant etc.
I make $115,000/year and take home $6k flat after taxes, medical, 401k, and all that jazz. I would have to burn up half of my monthly earnings to afford a SF home in most decent neighborhoods in So. Cal. Totally not worth it and depending on the circumstances can leave me house poor. Not wise to me considering how volatile real estate has shown itself to be. The days of “it’s always going to appreciate are dead” the people at the top pulling the strings determine if it always appreciates, problem is, it involves them controlling their greed.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:11 PM

427 posts, read 368,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
I make $115,000/year and take home $6k flat after taxes, medical, 401k, and all that jazz. I would have to burn up half of my monthly earnings to afford a SF home in most decent neighborhoods in So. Cal. Totally not worth it and depending on the circumstances can leave me house poor. Not wise to me considering how volatile real estate has shown itself to be. The days of “it’s always going to appreciate are dead” the people at the top pulling the strings determine if it always appreciates, problem is, it involves them controlling their greed.
False. 65% of Americans own property, and of those 50% own firearms. Those "string pullers" are going to have a grave problem on their hands if "they change their minds."

Old 05-26-2019, 08:18 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Exactly, i recently saw job opening that requires a person to have CPA license and they are paying $15 an hour. I coudn't stop laughing for good 20 minutes.

My daughter makes that much PT at a fast-food joint

Old 05-26-2019, 08:29 PM

427 posts, read 368,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Um well true and correct, in the spirit of thorough analysis, $15/hr full time with benies is about $42k a year. $15/hr PT is less than $30k/yr.

But you are 100%.correct that the correlation is a joke.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I saw a CPA position on Elance for 2 dollars an hour. There are a lot of CPAs in the world. That is why my sojourn within the accounting realm is only a pit stop along my path in life. Life is filled with twists and turns, who knows where it will lead.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:55 PM

I saw a CPA position on Elance for 2 dollars an hour. There's a lot of accountants in the world. 15 an hour is nothing to sneeze at. My mom used to make 5 dollars an hour when I was a kid.

Old 05-27-2019, 03:42 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,144,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post

in SF you would be making much more. I know someone that moved from Los Angeles to SF and got a boost of 140k in pay.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:57 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
False. 65% of Americans own property
H/she is talking about owning a home in southern California; not how many Americans own homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles