Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times

Advertisements

So trying to find someone to work in Aerospace. My wife's cousin is an Electrical Engineer and she works in Aerospace. She currently makes $200,000 + a year.

I am an Engineer in a facility and make over $100,000 a year.

Realize that many people that are qualified are not looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 01:56 PM

427 posts, read 368,299 times
Quote:
I'm also laughing at the people making fun of young people and claiming they all are lazy and just sit around doing massive bong rips all day.
Because that is all they do, along with Fortnite and jamming the latest Drake collabo.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:37 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
It's completely within reason to wonder if the Talent is perhaps being "screened out" because it doesn't match Muscle's personal idea of someone he wants to work with:

-- conservative, Republican, married with children, church-going, hates California, hates diversity, etc.
Yeah, because that's readily available information on any resume.

Have you ever run a business or hired anyone at all?

Old 05-17-2019, 03:31 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,948,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
No sh*t Sherlock. I wurk fur a megacorp
With his language and attitude, I don't think he even qualifies working for that company. Beware of this firm...

Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,899,609 times
It's obviously pretty different in CA than it is here because it is VERY easy to get people for aerospace jobs since they tend to be the most stable, high-paying and are with big name companies. Being in a rust belt area, people certainly appreciate all of those characteristics. My company makes both automotive and aerospace components; nobody ever quits this place--they either die or retire, ha ha.

Back to your issue of recruiting: I work in HR so can offer some suggestions hopefully.

Technical people are a pain to recruit because there is a lot of competition for STEM graduates. If your company doesn't have an intern or co-op program right now, suggest one or get one going to save yourself some grief. I have had the best luck in attracting candidates via LinkedIn, Facebook, and Zip Recruiter. Nobody uses Monster anymore

I have also had pretty decent luck in using industry specific societies such as Society of Manufacturing Engineers; my last engineer came from there. Also don't overlook employee referrals.

Also definitely look at the job description and wording. If you have someone else doing the same job, have him/her help you develop the list of main responsibilities.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:50 PM

77 posts, read 82,136 times
The talent is there, but alongside paying well - if you're not going to let the younger work force work smarter and more efficiently in whatever ways they see best and figure out how to integrate it with what you have, then good luck. Start posting perks like flexible schedules, work from home, co-working spaces, etc and you'll start seeing some decent applications come in. Like someone else pointed out, all the qualified candidates are already employed so it's up to you to make it worth it. I turned down a 30% raise because the expectation was for me to be on site all the time. It might sound crazy to turn down, but I've reached the point in my life/career where more money is always nice, but more time is even better.

It's like people get upset that others don't want to live their lives in the same depressing manner they did (long commutes, cubicle under the fluorescent light away from friends and family, working weekends, slave to the mortgage, etc). I saw my father do that and the stress it brought home, but that was a different time and absolutely none of that is necessary today.

Last edited by thenext88; 05-17-2019 at 10:07 PM..

Old 05-18-2019, 01:36 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
This is, what, number 8 of your "Bash LA" threads now?

-- "The Los Angeles Lakers Suck"
-- "Top Complaints about the City of Los Angeles"
-- "WSJ says L.A. people selling homes, flocking to Phoenix and Vegas as tax realities set it (house, buyers)"
-- "Why didn't Los Angeles make the U.S. News top 100 places to live list?"
-- "What exactly defines an 'Escaping Angeleno' "
-- "Cost of living in Los Angeles keeps going up. It's ridiculous! "
-- "Protocol for conservative Californians moving to AZ?"

We get it, you hate it here.

Now get packing!
If only it were that simple. I think it would take real ambition and motivation on his part to wind up in a graveyard that's the who's who of losers that is Phoenix. Methinks he's more content on complaining than actually fulfilling his artificial dreams in that wonderful utopia of mile after mile of repetitive stucco and red tile roofs tucked behind strip malls to the east. If it were me, I'd be spending a lot of time looking for a job, though in his defense, the type of work he's seeking doesn't exactly require importing labor from elsewhere. I recall Phoenix needing that in a number of industries because the local populace couldn't fulfill business needs, but he has an impressive resume of working with wrenches, which god knows is so hard to find that it's a wonder DIY places like IKEA and Home Depot stay in business, as the general public can't possibly figure out how to work a simple tool.

I hate Phoenix to a point I think it should be a site for government testing, and nothing of value would be lost. When I lived there, I spent a lot of free time looking for work elsewhere, even when I felt defeated and that my cause was quixotic. I left. I don't really see what's so hard about dedicating oneself to something, especially when he sets his standards so low as to resort to an overpriced, oversized truck stop town. How he can't manage to find a job there is beyond me...though in all fairness, pro-business Trump-crazy Arizona does have among the top ten highest unemployment rates as of today, pro-business be damned (and with a looming housing bubble, that will exacerbate without any real industry there).

Last edited by dvxhd; 05-18-2019 at 01:56 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 03:13 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,898,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
If only it were that simple. I think it would take real ambition and motivation on his part to wind up in a graveyard that's the who's who of losers that is Phoenix. Methinks he's more content on complaining than actually fulfilling his artificial dreams in that wonderful utopia of mile after mile of repetitive stucco and red tile roofs tucked behind strip malls to the east. If it were me, I'd be spending a lot of time looking for a job, though in his defense, the type of work he's seeking doesn't exactly require importing labor from elsewhere. I recall Phoenix needing that in a number of industries because the local populace couldn't fulfill business needs, but he has an impressive resume of working with wrenches, which god knows is so hard to find that it's a wonder DIY places like IKEA and Home Depot stay in business, as the general public can't possibly figure out how to work a simple tool.

I hate Phoenix to a point I think it should be a site for government testing, and nothing of value would be lost. When I lived there, I spent a lot of free time looking for work elsewhere, even when I felt defeated and that my cause was quixotic. I left. I don't really see what's so hard about dedicating oneself to something, especially when he sets his standards so low as to resort to an overpriced, oversized truck stop town. How he can't manage to find a job there is beyond me...though in all fairness, pro-business Trump-crazy Arizona does have among the top ten highest unemployment rates as of today, pro-business be damned (and with a looming housing bubble, that will exacerbate without any real industry there).
Conquering the desert was necessary, and Phoenix is booming population wise. I just don't understand why it the Mojave portions of the I.E. couldn't have been developed first.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:59 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
How he can't manage to find a job there is beyond me...though in all fairness, pro-business Trump-crazy Arizona does have among the top ten highest unemployment rates as of today, pro-business be damned (and with a looming housing bubble, that will exacerbate without any real industry there).
Interesting; I didn't realize that about the unemployment rate there.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:01 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:
I've been trying to fill an aerospace technical position at an extremely large aerospace company here in L.A. for months. The resumes I receive are garbage, why? If the schools and colleges are so good in CA, why are colleagues of mine recruiting from states with wonderful school systems like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa? Where is all the talent in CA? I can't find any.
I have no familiarity with the aerospace industry but, considering the high COL in LA, is your company offering a "livable wage" for the position?

Also, since you hate CA so much, how's your AZ hunt for a job paying $25-$30/hour going? With 15 years of experience, can't you expect more? Or, could the low pay be one reason why your company is having trouble finding suitable local candidates? Maybe people from the Midwest are willing to pay the sunshine tax just for an opportunity to get a foothold in CA?

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...l#post51010177
Quote:
I have 15 years of experience in aerospace, and have worked for Raytheon and Boeing, over in L.A.

Getting very tired of So Cal, don't like the politics, or the oppression, or the taxes.

I am aware of Honeywell, and Boeing, over there. Not interested in Tuscon. Also aware of Intel, which I could possibly parley myself into. According to Glassdoor, those companies pay their technicians well.

Could anybody name any other nice companies to look at applying to, over there in the Valley of the Sun? Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles