Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Conquering the desert was necessary, and Phoenix is booming population wise. I just don't understand why it the Mojave portions of the I.E. couldn't have been developed first.
Phoenix is booming now. You can find some interesting parallels in city development, economy, growth, and prosperity when you hold them up against US history. A few examples: in 1810, New Orleans was among the top largest US cities. At the time, access to the sea was essential and harbor cities tended to do well. By 1840 it had become the third largest US city, fed by port trade and its location along the navigable Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico; westward expansion upstream was helping the city prosper. By 1890, the city never since appeared in the ten largest US cities as trends favored other regions. In 1850, as settlers moved west, St. Louis grew to be one of the largest cities as settlers passed through and its river port developed. By 1870 it had more people than it has today, and it flourished through roughly 1950 before population decline, though in reality its ranking dropped as other cities just grew by more people after 1910 as nationwide trends changed. Baltimore also was among the largest cities from the 1790 census and onward up until the 1980s, as people and conditions just favored other cities.

Those are just a few, but you get the idea: eventually trends will change. In my experience, Phoenix was horribly mismanaged and eventually flaws in the system will have an adverse effect. I don't think its current status is going to last, nor do I think it has fully peaked yet, and eventually other cities are probably going to surpass it. Population aside, it has a lot of problems it just isn't resolving, including its inability to diversify its economy and, to the OP's latest gripe about LA, its issue in needing to import skilled workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Interesting; I didn't realize that about the unemployment rate there.
According to the latest BLS numbers, Arizona is sixth highest in unemployment right now, higher than California's rate and a bit lower than rates in West Virginia and Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 09:33 AM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
I've been trying to fill an aerospace technical position at an extremely large aerospace company here in L.A. for months. The resumes I receive are garbage, why? If the schools and colleges are so good in CA, why are colleagues of mine recruiting from states with wonderful school systems like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa? Where is all the talent in CA? I can't find any.
You are a very poor Talent Acquisition professional if you are having problems filling that position in L.A. Maybe your company is too small? Pay isnt competitive with all the other aerospace positions in the area? Or, you just are not a good recruiter. Without having gone through your posting history to get a "profile" of you, I am assuming you are one of these types who hate L.A., and are always saying negative things about L.A.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:51 AM

427 posts, read 368,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Phoenix is booming now. You can find some interesting parallels in city development, economy, growth, and prosperity when you hold them up against US history. A few examples: in 1810, New Orleans was among the top largest US cities. At the time, access to the sea was essential and harbor cities tended to do well. By 1840 it had become the third largest US city, fed by port trade and its location along the navigable Mississippi River and the Gulf of Mexico; westward expansion upstream was helping the city prosper. By 1890, the city never since appeared in the ten largest US cities as trends favored other regions. In 1850, as settlers moved west, St. Louis grew to be one of the largest cities as settlers passed through and its river port developed. By 1870 it had more people than it has today, and it flourished through roughly 1950 before population decline, though in reality its ranking dropped as other cities just grew by more people after 1910 as nationwide trends changed. Baltimore also was among the largest cities from the 1790 census and onward up until the 1980s, as people and conditions just favored other cities.

Those are just a few, but you get the idea: eventually trends will change. In my experience, Phoenix was horribly mismanaged and eventually flaws in the system will have an adverse effect. I don't think its current status is going to last, nor do I think it has fully peaked yet, and eventually other cities are probably going to surpass it. Population aside, it has a lot of problems it just isn't resolving, including its inability to diversify its economy and, to the OP's latest gripe about LA, its issue in needing to import skilled workers.

According to the latest BLS numbers, Arizona is sixth highest in unemployment right now, higher than California's rate and a bit lower than rates in West Virginia and Mississippi.
I hate when people talk like you. St. Louis had more people in 1870, than today? Most likely that is STL proper, but the metro area has over 2 million people today. These days you dont talk about cities proper, it's the MSA and CSA that matter.

Also, Phoenix is the fastest growing economy in the US right now, Maricopa county to be exact. It's far from a graveyard, there are millions of successful people and companies in the Scottsdale/Tempe/Chandler area. I know a ton of Midwesterners moving there, they wont touch CA with a 10 foot pole. The only time people really want to come to CA is for the Rose Bowl.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:14 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,692,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I have no familiarity with the aerospace industry but, considering the high COL in LA, is your company offering a "livable wage" for the position?

Also, since you hate CA so much, how's your AZ hunt for a job paying $25-$30/hour going? With 15 years of experience, can't you expect more? Or, could the low pay be one reason why your company is having trouble finding suitable local candidates? Maybe people from the Midwest are willing to pay the sunshine tax just for an opportunity to get a foothold in CA?

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...l#post51010177
Quote:
I hate when people talk like you. St. Louis had more people in 1870, than today? Most likely that is STL proper, but the metro area has over 2 million people today. These days you dont talk about cities proper, it's the MSA and CSA that matter.

Also, Phoenix is the fastest growing economy in the US right now, Maricopa county to be exact. It's far from a graveyard, there are millions of successful people and companies in the Scottsdale/Tempe/Chandler area. I know a ton of Midwesterners moving there, they wont touch CA with a 10 foot pole. The only time people really want to come to CA is for the Rose Bowl.
Achievement-oriented types just put on their big boy pants and make things happen. They don't sulk and whine. Strong employers like them.

I'm curious, why are you wasting valuable time bashing California in thread after thread? Will that make you more employable in AZ?

Old 05-20-2019, 09:01 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,380 times
Quote:
The only time people really want to come to CA is for the Rose Bowl.
That is one of the silliest things I've ever read here on C-D.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:05 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Too many of the young have been sold on the idea they should work behind a computer desk, doing little and getting a fat paycheck. Almost every employer I talk to has a very hard time finding good workers among the young today. They want everything free, but are not willing to work in the way that actually pays for everything. Partying, etc., is the main goal.
Funny, I don't know any young people who fit that description. While I'm sure there are some out there, there are also hard-working, dedicated ones, as well. And their pay raises reflect that.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,774,697 times
Quote:
Salary is not disclosed until an offer is made.
I worked at the local SoCal NASA center for 34 years and the salary range was ALWAYS included with an initial job posting. Without listing the salary range, it is not surprising that you receive no qualified résumés.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 PM

1,203 posts, read 668,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Funny, I don't know any young people who fit that description. While I'm sure there are some out there, there are also hard-working, dedicated ones, as well. And their pay raises reflect that.
I think that expatCA just wants to prove he's a stereotypical babyboomer that is completely oblivious to what actually going on in the modern workplace.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes there are such, but harder to find.

I do business and have customers with businesses all over this Country and finding young workers who will work is hard, according to most of them. Big famous businesses and small mom and pop shops.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:20 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
I think that expatCA just wants to prove he's a stereotypical babyboomer that is completely oblivious to what actually going on in the modern workplace.
You are simply showing how little you know about me.

I am involved in new technology I have created and work with many companies you would know .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles