Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 07:12 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times

Advertisements

I'm very impressed that they decided not to go for COVID-19 federal aid. They tried to see a way to still stay in business but in this environment a buffet business wasn't sustainable and they saw no reason to waste that money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 09:29 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
How about the displays in grocery stores where you handle the fruit's and vegetables compared to self service buffets?

I wonder if all you can eat buffet style might open where like Electrician 4 you mentioned post 3 like Subway or Panda Express where you are behind glass and can see what your selecting but a sever doles it out for you. As busy as Soup Plantation was you'd be waiting in line for the server.
Olive Garden has all you can eat salad, soup, and bread but a waitress brings it to you.

Last edited by V8 Vega; 05-09-2020 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-09-2020, 10:12 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Olive Garden has all you can eat salad, soup, and bread but a waitress brings it to you.
Awesome. Maybe we can put Olive Garden in the ground too.

My only sadness in seeing places like Hometown Buffet, Golden Corral, etc go under is that they tend to serve people at the lower end of the economic scale and it eliminates that as an option for people to feed their families inexpensively. But I digress. That is a very different conversation.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:35 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Awesome. Maybe we can put Olive Garden in the ground too.

My only sadness in seeing places like Hometown Buffet, Golden Corral, etc go under is that they tend to serve people at the lower end of the economic scale and it eliminates that as an option for people to feed their families inexpensively. But I digress. That is a very different conversation.
You couldn’t beat Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes’ children price of $4.99 for 6-12 yrs. for quality alone. I know mine always out ate me.

The quality of Olive Garden’s bottomless salad is very poor compared to SP.

Old 05-09-2020, 12:48 PM

145 posts, read 104,494 times
Not one of my go-to restaurants but my mother and her friends like Souplantation a lot. They are going to have a hard time finding a suitable replacement.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:37 PM

there is a 5 page thread on this in economics. I'm heartbroken that their closing.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:12 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenext88 View Post
We used to go once a week to the Brentwood location. Getting a healthy meal topped off with a guilt-free ice cream and warm chocolate brownie for like $10 was a great deal. I'm really bummed about this, especially since my infant really liked going there as well.

Haven't been there much but do remember those excellent warm chocolate brownies with vanilla soft serve iced cream!! Will miss them!

Old 05-09-2020, 10:34 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
RIP Souplantation/Sweet Tomatoes

I used to go to the one in Torrance when I lived in the area in the very early 90s. Wasn’t trying to be healthy, but enjoyed the variety and value. It balanced out the other times we went to Pizza Hut in Lomita.

Now, I live elsewhere and went regularly with my family. It was one of our favorites when I didn’t feel like cooking, but still wanted the kids to eat something healthy. We also found most of their soups very tasty and well made.

Don’t know why, but our whole family found this news very surprising and sad. Maybe because it signals things will not be returning to normal post-pandemic.

Didn’t know about their financial troubles. The one near me was always busy, sometimes requiring people to wait at the register until a table opened up. But I noticed they replaced more pricey ingredients with cheaper ones (e.g. sprinkles and cookie crumbles instead of nuts at the ice cream section). And they steadily increased prices in recent years. Then they spent money to renovate when they didn’t need to, so it leaves you wondering why, if they had such money problems.
The next restaurant to the north, first in Marina Del Rey which then moved to a smaller location in the Culver City Hughes Center closed and thus those who wanted to go either went down to Torrance or further north to the Beverly Grove

Old 05-12-2020, 08:22 PM

I saw a article in the newspaper that they are definitely closing. It also said they will not honor gift cards, you may dispute the charge with your credit card co. if bought with a credit card.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:38 PM

51 posts, read 31,690 times
[quote=TR95;58057242 troubles pre-date the Covid era. They had financial troubles in 2008/2009 and again in 2016/2017. This just ended it for good this time.[/QUOTE]

It hurts to see them go but like you said it has been in a death spiral before Covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles