Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 AM

55 posts, read 516,341 times

Advertisements

what subject are you planning to interview people about?

Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 AM

6 posts, read 36,015 times
I was born and raised in Compton, Female, white. There are parts of Compton that I would feel safe in, to get out and walk around. Alot of businesses are family owned and have worked hard to come out of the many riots of Compton and Watts. I would go to the police dept and let them know what you are doing, they can give you a map of areas to stay out of. I would definately not wear red or blue. Stay away from Railroad tracks. Wear white and carry a bible. Check out City Data, they have a business section, look for addresses and have a map ready before you go to the police dept. Go interview people at the local churches on Sunday. Go see the Big Donut on Alondra and Atlantic, its been there for over 50 years. Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,382 times
Default I wouldnt suggest it

I would not suggest it.

Driving through, staying on main streets, thats ok. Getting out and talking to random people - I wouldn't. They might object to the picture taking too. I just dont see this as a good idea.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 PM

127 posts, read 925,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big happy View Post
what subject are you planning to interview people about?
The history of Compton...back in the day and everything like that. I am putting a piece together, trying to encourage the government to put some money back into the area. I wanna talk to people about what there is to do in the neighbourhood, and what they would like to see bought in to stop young people from engaging in senseless violence...I like the ideas about wearing white and speaking to the local pd, i'll look that up. Anything else I should know?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:38 PM

5 posts, read 78,852 times
They have 4 inch thick bulletproof glass at the KFC...i wouldnt recommend it at night, in the day time you should be alright. Pretty much every street in compton is someones gang territory, everywhere you go, just to give you a heads up.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:25 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,345 times
Compton is a "no go" zone for Whites. Stay out unless you're heavily armed and armored. For starters I suggest an M2 Bradley. Keep the 30mm on top moving and the TOW system armed.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:03 AM

ok sidmlions I have done a bit of research as I am planning to set up a sports related community outreach organisation in Watts in the future, I have to dash of to university now but later on today I will hook you up with as many links as possible.

To start if you havent done so already I would suggest you look at the threads in this site entitled Watts up! and Compton, is it all bad?

I am not from Compton so it would be foolish for me to advise you either way but these two threads are full of very useful, intelligent peices of advice from people with first hand experiences and knowledge of the area.

I wish you luck whatever you choose to do and I will get back to you later on today

Old 02-08-2007, 07:46 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Best way to do this is to get to know someone there and go around with them. Don't walk up to strangers and start asking them questions. Bad idea.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:53 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
I have never been to Compton and know very little about the area. However, I do know about the project you are pursuing. It is probably NEVER in one's best interest to talk to random strangers about the problems in their neighborhoods, regardless of which neighborhood it is. Why would someone trust you? Why would someone feel confident that you are not trying to exploit their situation? Why would anyone think you would be interested in truly helping them? Those are questions ANY person would have running through their mind when a stranger starts asking questions and taking pictures.

With that said, I would strongly encourage you to contact the local politicians to help you obtain meetings with people who may be willing to speak with you. Give them time to prepare for your visit. This will help you in the end anyway because these are the representatives you would need to appeal to in order to get help the area.

Some smaller police departments allow civilian tours. I'm not sure what is available in Compton, but maybe you can talk to the Police Department and find out if it's possible to ride around with an officer for a few hours. At least you are with someone who is trained and armed.

I would also try any of the Universities and talk to Professors (e.g. Urban Planning or Public Management, etc.) to get an idea of what has already been done in the area. There may already be some research and small grassroots projects out there that just have not taken off. If you go in the right way, you should get cooperation and answers. If you don't go in the right way, you might walk away with nothing even if you don't get killed.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:50 AM

http://www.comptoncity.org/

http://www.comptonpolicegangs.com/

http://www.urbandecay.ca/MAP.htm (broken link)

http://www.latimes.com/

http://www.streetgangs.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles