Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 11:06 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
So just to clarify, is your point that the pot user gets more bang for their buck...or what ?

Don't disregard the fact that if the Feds ever elected to "legalize" the stuff, and say, tack on a 25% + user tax...that baggy might get a little more spendy...not to mention the need for further consumer safety protection (see Oregon).. that could increase the dealers overhead....suddenly it ain't such a great deal !
But what happens if the market is flooded with home growers? Anyone think that will happen?

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 11:18 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
If my goal was to stay drunk all day I wouldn't be doing it with $80 bottles of whiskey. That kind of whiskey is meant to be savored and enjoyed. I can't say I would ever be savoring or enjoying cannabis.
This is what I'm talking about. Even when I was a "stoner" 45 years ago, I only smoked on weekends, and after there was clearly nothing important that I had to do. Plus, I used a 6 chambered mint flavored water pipe so the harshness of the burning was completely gone.

But $200 an ounce is more than I'm willing to spend. And there are different varieties of grass. Some of the stuff I got simply put me to sleep. Some made me laugh a lot. Some was a lot more like LSD. I preferred the laughing grass. When yuou have to buy an ounce you will not know what you are getting.

When you buy an $80 bottle of single malt scotch whiskey, you know exactly what you are going to get. And like Kevin says, you sip it. If you just want to get drunk, you buy an $8 bottle of Hiram Walker.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:36 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
But what happens if the market is flooded with home growers? Anyone think that will happen?

bill
big fish eat small fish. then there are the really big fish.

then there is the FDA, drug testing, compliance with federal regs, like labeling and marketing, saftey studies, proof of efficacy, packaging, toxicology, metabolism, phases 1, 2,3, 4 testing in children, pregnant women, race, region and elderly, young, federal tax stamp as levied on fully automatic weapons and silencers.

Then we have the lawyers. Big pharma tries to stay away from drugs affecting the CNS because of liability and lawyers.

then we have the warning labels!!! yeah, all the caution about smoking is bad for your health, do not operate heavy equipment, drive, handle firearms.

engaging a women, who was smoking pot, in very, very friendly manner, will constitute rape.

No concurrent presence of firearms and pot allowed in vehicles or on armed person.

Smokey the Bear signs will will appear everywhere warning of pot butts causing fires.

All the flatlanders will be headed to vacationland to make alt 1/rt3 summer traffic to Bar Harbor look like a case of chris christie political lane closure revenge on steroids. You like flatlanders right? boon to local businesses for sure.

New yellow and black, or maybe black and lime green, signs appear on rt 95...'beware of moose on grass", as moose raiding pot gardens will pose a new threat to traffic.

Small pot growers will be like mom and pop hardware stores when home depot or ace moves in.

Then we have the cash and carry business that keeps the underground market humming to the tune of trillions in tax free profit.

Who complains about companies making a profit and not paying their fair share!!!?????

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:55 AM

792 posts, read 1,302,177 times
Quote:

bill
It is a good question, however the major driving force behind this issue is the anticipated financial windfall. If you research Alaska, who recently legalized recreational pot...it's not really having that affect as that poor state is on the verge of a recession.

I can't imagine any state going too far out of the way without seeing significant financial gain...combine that with potential federal penalty and/or tax....it could become a lot about nothing...time will tell.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
big fish eat small fish. then there are the really big fish.

then there is the FDA, drug testing, compliance with federal regs, like labeling and marketing, saftey studies, proof of efficacy, packaging, toxicology, metabolism, phases 1, 2,3, 4 testing in children, pregnant women, race, region and elderly, young, federal tax stamp as levied on fully automatic weapons and silencers.

Then we have the lawyers. Big pharma tries to stay away from drugs affecting the CNS because of liability and lawyers.

then we have the warning labels!!! yeah, all the caution about smoking is bad for your health, do not operate heavy equipment, drive, handle firearms.

engaging a women, who was smoking pot, in very, very friendly manner, will constitute rape.

No concurrent presence of firearms and pot allowed in vehicles or on armed person.

Smokey the Bear signs will will appear everywhere warning of pot butts causing fires.

All the flatlanders will be headed to vacationland to make alt 1/rt3 summer traffic to Bar Harbor look like a case of chris christie political lane closure revenge on steroids. You like flatlanders right? boon to local businesses for sure.

New yellow and black, or maybe black and lime green, signs appear on rt 95...'beware of moose on grass", as moose raiding pot gardens will pose a new threat to traffic.

Small pot growers will be like mom and pop hardware stores when home depot or ace moves in.

Then we have the cash and carry business that keeps the underground market humming to the tune of trillions in tax free profit.

Who complains about companies making a profit and not paying their fair share!!!?????

Good luck.
So how much weed do you need to smoke to make a post like this one? /\

bill

Old 12-03-2016, 03:00 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
So how much weed do you need to smoke to make a post like this one? /\

bill
Really, "a women"?

/grammarnazi

Old 12-03-2016, 06:11 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
This is what I'm talking about. Even when I was a "stoner" 45 years ago, I only smoked on weekends, and after there was clearly nothing important that I had to do. Plus, I used a 6 chambered mint flavored water pipe so the harshness of the burning was completely gone.

But $200 an ounce is more than I'm willing to spend. And there are different varieties of grass. Some of the stuff I got simply put me to sleep. Some made me laugh a lot. Some was a lot more like LSD. I preferred the laughing grass. When yuou have to buy an ounce you will not know what you are getting.

When you buy an $80 bottle of single malt scotch whiskey, you know exactly what you are going to get. And like Kevin says, you sip it. If you just want to get drunk, you buy an $8 bottle of Hiram Walker.
The point of my comparison was to illustrate that the going price needs to be contextualized. People say, "Oh my, $200 for an ounce! How expensive!" without realizing that an ounce could last an occasional/weekend smoker a year or more. That's a lot less than many people spend on coffee from Starbucks.

Now if you wanted to spend the entire waking hours of your weekend high on pot, even the really good stuff would not set you back more than the price of a six pack or two of that expensive microbrew.

As to knowing what you are getting, at least in Colorado, the shops have full descriptions of the common effects of the the strains they sell. Its not like they just grab a fistfull out of a barrel and there you go.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The point of my comparison was to illustrate that the going price needs to be contextualized. People say, "Oh my, $200 for an ounce! How expensive!" without realizing that an ounce could last an occasional/weekend smoker a year or more. That's a lot less than many people spend on coffee from Starbucks.

Now if you wanted to spend the entire waking hours of your weekend high on pot, even the really good stuff would not set you back more than the price of a six pack or two of that expensive microbrew.

As to knowing what you are getting, at least in Colorado, the shops have full descriptions of the common effects of the the strains they sell. Its not like they just grab a fistfull out of a barrel and there you go.
How do you know there not just filling each bag from the same stash and telling you its different? there is no agency testing to prove a difference.
How would you know that the Maui wowee and the Mexically Kush did not come from the same barrel?

Kinda reminds me of a Simpson's episode were Homer tours the Duff Brewery, in one scene there is a big pipe that splits into three pipes each one filling bottle's Duff, Duff Light, Duff Dry. (remember the dry beer craze in the early 90's?)

bill

Old 12-04-2016, 07:25 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

MOFGA [Maine Organic Farmers / Gardeners Association] has been developing a 'MOFGA Certified Clean Cannabis (MC3)' program. Growers want to have their products verified organic and clean of poisons, as well as rated for each of the specific CBD content. Consumers want very specific CBD ratios to address their health issues.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:34 AM

37,469 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
How do you know there not just filling each bag from the same stash and telling you its different? there is no agency testing to prove a difference. How would you know that the Maui wowee and the Mexically Kush did not come from the same barrel?
There are existing programs of third-party over-sight testing and certification of Ag products.

Maine hosts the organisation that originated 'Organic Certification' in 1970.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine