Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 06:27 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,158 times

Advertisements

we had ham steak, baked taters, mixt veg ,and a cpl beers for disert we had strawberryrubarb pie .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 06:29 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Growing up it was always breakfast,dinner,and supper in our house.
Since I got married supper was out,lunch was in and dinner became supper. Confused?.... me too!
breakfast ,dinner,supper, but the wife says breakfast,lunch,and dinner.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:30 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,771 times
We had chinese food for supper. Dinner is the noontime meal.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:31 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
we had ham steak, baked taters, mixt veg ,and a cpl beers for disert we had strawberryrubarb pie .
Yum....that reminds me I have to check the rhubarb patch across the street.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:41 PM

566 posts, read 1,418,086 times
Tonight we had the local chinese buffet. It was ok. Last night was baked chicken, spinach and baked potatoes. I liked that much better. Tonight I bought the fixings for a nice lasagna that I will make this weekend. That with a fresh salad and some garlic bread will make a nice relaxing meal.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:42 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,191,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
... Quite like something I might do, though these days I most often do spagetti with a meat sauce that my grandma called "American" spagetti (as opposed to Italian)... sauteed ground beef, onions, celery, green pepper...
Thanks for this. I remember something like that too from when I was a kid - haven't had it since.

Quote:
... Tonight though, I am just back from the SMBIZ4ME conference in Bangor so we are doing a quick Mexican thing... I have tacos or toastadas, K prefers burrito form (soft flour tortillas) with spiced up ground beef, canned refried beans...
I love tacos and could eat them every day. As far as I know there were no Mexicans in my family Try this: Instead of canned refried beans take a can of pinto beans, put them in a microwave bowl (covered in plastic wrap) and nuke them for 3 - 4 minutes. Then take them out and mash them, leaving some beany bits (don't blender them). I have an old masher which is a slotted flat disk on a shaft with wooden handle. Then they go in mini crock pot for serving. Add a little water if too thick. These beans have a rich, light beany taste without the yukky lard flavor that is in canned refried beans. Plus they're a lot cheaper, and wouldn't you like to eat bean instead of lard? These light beans are a wonderful contrast to the rich corn tortillas, the cool crispy vegetables and the hot sauce and cheese. The beans have enough salt from the can. I add some dried minced onion to the microwave bowl which get mixed up in the cooking and mashing.

Back to the thread subject, I'm not in Maine, but here's what we had this pm. Sausages, coarse grits (not the soupy ones) with margerine and salt, Bush's baked beans, and hot french bread right from the oven. Plus sweet iced tea with lemon. Yum!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:13 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,244,309 times
Since I just got home from having to chair aan appeals board hearing, I'm goingto have a nice can of soup... or a bad can of soup, but soup it will be. I have the good stuff for supper on the weekends when I can go off the diet and eat the stuff I'm really not supposed to eat, but still really like.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:23 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Thanks for this. I remember something like that too from when I was a kid - haven't had it since.

I love tacos and could eat them every day. As far as I know there were no Mexicans in my family Try this: Instead of canned refried beans take a can of pinto beans, put them in a microwave bowl (covered in plastic wrap) and nuke them for 3 - 4 minutes. Then take them out and mash them, leaving some beany bits (don't blender them). I have an old masher which is a slotted flat disk on a shaft with wooden handle. Then they go in mini crock pot for serving. Add a little water if too thick. These beans have a rich, light beany taste without the yukky lard flavor that is in canned refried beans. Plus they're a lot cheaper, and wouldn't you like to eat bean instead of lard? These light beans are a wonderful contrast to the rich corn tortillas, the cool crispy vegetables and the hot sauce and cheese. The beans have enough salt from the can. I add some dried minced onion to the microwave bowl which get mixed up in the cooking and mashing.

Back to the thread subject, I'm not in Maine, but here's what we had this pm. Sausages, coarse grits (not the soupy ones) with margerine and salt, Bush's baked beans, and hot french bread right from the oven. Plus sweet iced tea with lemon. Yum!
The most affordable of the lot is to cook dry beans, and then freeze them in serving batches to "re-fry". My kids called them "free ride" beans... and I heat them with a little oil (not lard) and I have a bean masher that I got when I lived in TX to use to mash them, and they are not totally smooth, either. There are diced onions and garlic sauteed in the oil before I put in the beans, and some chili powder, cumin and a bit of salt while I am mashing.

I have been known to use whatever beans I have on hand... not just pinto or red beans but sometimes navy or even kidney. Actually I have done the same thing with cooked lentils, when the kids didn't like lentils. They never noticed the difference, and I introduced the lentils again after a few months, in the spring, and called them "Easter Beans." Believe it or not, it worked; they all liked Easter Beans... a few years ago one of the girls asked me about it (they are all in their 20s/30s now, with kids of their own). "Mom, were those Easter Beans really lentils? Amy said they were, but.... " LOL

Food... more than "just something to eat" <g> (which happens to be the name of the family cookbook I put together a few years ago.)

Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
the kids didn't like lentils. They never noticed the difference, and I introduced the lentils again after a few months, in the spring, and called them "Easter Beans." Believe it or not, it worked; they all liked Easter Beans... a few years ago one of the girls asked me about it (they are all in their 20s/30s now, with kids of their own). "Mom, were those Easter Beans really lentils? Amy said they were, but.... " LOL

Food... more than "just something to eat" <g> (which happens to be the name of the family cookbook I put together a few years ago.)
LOL - that's great! I did the same type move a couple years ago. I served the kids some mashed winter squash right before halloween. I told them it was "halloween mashed potatoes". They ate it all.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:40 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,204 times
Great thread starter Maineah! What fun, except you've all made me pretty hungry listening to all of your nice meals!

Growing up in my family it was always breakfast, lunch and suppah. Now for some reason we've all become more formal, we now eat dinner.

Have I confessed to all yet that I'm a lousy cook? Seriously, I am. Not just bad, I mean really bad. The dog won't even eat my cooking. The kids used to come home and say "what's for suppah?"- no matter what my response was they always had a previous comittment. My meatloaf? Forget it, they'd run and hide for days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine