Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,673,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
My closest friends down here are from S. Carolina. They serve grits often, I've had them a few times. I think it's an acquired taste. You look at it and think... cream of wheat... so you expect them to be sweet. They're not. They make the coarse ones too. I've thought that maybe with a little maple syrup or some brown sugar... I might be able to tolerate them. Not wanting to insult my lovely hosts, I've never asked for anything to add to them.

QW- do some people ever add anything to them besides butter and salt?
I'll try most anything except bugs...I won't eat any bugs. Well unless you count lobsters and crabs as bugs...they do look like bugs I guess.
I'd like to try some grits sometime. Perhaps they sell them at the health food store. I have tried cream of wheat but it's too much like wall paper paste to me. I can stand oat meal though I load it up with brown sugar and maple syrup so I probably negate any healthy benefits it may provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,754,419 times
Made a homemade vegetable soup with leeks, onions, celery,carrots garlic, san marino canned tomatoes, zucchini, garbanzo beans and veggie bouillon cubes. Yummy!!

We had an unusual day of rain and thunder here for our HS graduation eve. Our eldest graduated in the soaking rain in an 58 degree outdoor eve celebration where normally the temps are in the 90's!!
Soup tasted great!

By the way, qw, Bush's vegetarian baked beans are the BEST

Old 05-22-2008, 11:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,754,419 times
I add garbanzo beans along with great northern and sometimes kidney to my veggie chili. Add with plenty of sauteed garlic, onions, cumin, tomato paste or pureed stewed tomatoes.Much easier to digest and they have a great texture.

QW, Try adding chopped fresh coriander sauteed with some garlic in olive oil to your Greek fasoulia lima beans. Delicious

Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
I add garbanzo beans along with great northern and sometimes kidney to my veggie chili. Add with plenty of sauteed garlic, onions, cumin, tomato paste or pureed stewed tomatoes.Much easier to digest and they have a great texture.

QW, Try adding chopped fresh coriander sauteed with some garlic in olive oil to your Greek fasoulia lima beans. Delicious
My goodness...you are quite a good cook! Sounds yummy! Looks like we will have to add an herb corner to our garden ! Then my wife (and I, probably) will struggle to decide what seasonongs go best with what! Cookbook, anyone?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 AM

444 posts, read 928,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Made a homemade vegetable soup with leeks, onions, celery,carrots garlic, san marino canned tomatoes, zucchini, garbanzo beans and veggie bouillon cubes. Yummy!!

We had an unusual day of rain and thunder here for our HS graduation eve. Our eldest graduated in the soaking rain in an 58 degree outdoor eve celebration where normally the temps are in the 90's!!
Soup tasted great!

By the way, qw, Bush's vegetarian baked beans are the BEST
You're making me hungry! I'm going to go eat my hard-boiled egg and toast now, but I'll be thinking about homemade vegetable soup. Sounds great!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:29 AM

230 posts, read 875,631 times
Default Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
My closest friends down here are from S. Carolina. They serve grits often, I've had them a few times. I think it's an acquired taste. You look at it and think... cream of wheat... so you expect them to be sweet. They're not. They make the coarse ones too. I've thought that maybe with a little maple syrup or some brown sugar... I might be able to tolerate them. Not wanting to insult my lovely hosts, I've never asked for anything to add to them.

QW- do some people ever add anything to them besides butter and salt?
The first time I had grits was when I was visiting NC, and I loved them right away. So much so that I went out to the grocery store and bought a 5-lb bag to bring home in my luggage! (I lived out in the boonies, and my local grocery store didn't stock "exotic" food!) Anyhow, besides butter and S&P, I have also added grated cheese. I have also made grits casserole with sauteed onions, peppers, tomatoes, sausage, and cheese, layered and baked like a lasagna dish. Shrimp and grits was a favorite of my bf. I got a lot of recipes on line. I also like Quaker instant grits for a quick snack sometimes, made right in a mug in the microwave. YUM!

Last edited by Asta; 05-23-2008 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 AM

Bush's beans must be a southern treat as well. I tried them once and did not like them.It's what you get used to I guess! I like good old B&M baked beans made in Portland, Maine. They make several varieties one of which...the barbeque beans are a particular favorite.
I'll still take home made beans over any store bought beans though anytime!

Old 05-23-2008, 12:08 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I'll try most anything except bugs...I won't eat any bugs. Well unless you count lobsters and crabs as bugs...they do look like bugs I guess.
I'd like to try some grits sometime. Perhaps they sell them at the health food store. I have tried cream of wheat but it's too much like wall paper paste to me. I can stand oat meal though I load it up with brown sugar and maple syrup so I probably negate any healthy benefits it may provide.
during ranger training we had to go through surviveal training witch ment you eat what you can find and the ones with the most nurishment were tree grubs.and we had to eat them.im glad i dont have to anymore

Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 PM

Tonight is up in the air. I'm waiting to se if my Aunt shows up from Vegas. If she does then we'll probably go out to eat, if not it may be pizza night.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:01 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,546,475 times
Steak, mashed potatoes with fresh chives and fresh salad tonight. I think I'll soak beans and have Steve make baked beans tomorrow. His are better than mine. I'm going to thaw and cook his turkey over the weekend. I'll slice it (breast only), bread it and probably pan fry it slowly in butter and olive oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine