U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2008, 02:21 PM
 
Location: In a van, down by the river.... LOL
21,347 posts, read 7,926,525 times
Reputation: 33323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Yeah, give me the mountains and small towns any day.
Now employment is another story!
That's the only point that's being pointed out! lol They just don't go hand in hand, unfortunately!

I know a lifelong Mainer on this forum who is living apart from the spouse because there's no career viable work where they've moved to. It's a weekend commute home after living in an apartment during the week.

A very, very dear friend of mine was born and raised in Maine and lived there 44 years before succombing to the fact the career path wasn't going to happen in Maine due to constant budgets cuts at UMaine Orono and others. He's now on the Cape making almost triple in salary what he did back home. His kids enjoyed a much better quality of life here on the Cape, with exposure to culture, and other enjoyments found with a larger population.

If seclusion and segregation is your ideal, then north of the Volvo line is utopia. Otherwise, not so much!

I've known a handful of people who have moved up there chasing their dream only to find, they hadn't listened to reason from anyone. Sad. Some people just have to experience it firsthand. It takes a special fortitude type individual/s to live within those choices or situations. And it's much easier if you've been born and raised in it and never experienced anything better. There's a reason why the population of young folks are found to only be declining in many areas of Maine as well as Cape Cod.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
33,185 posts, read 54,435,317 times
Reputation: 23667
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I don't have a dog in this fight since I don't own property in Maine yet. I just keep a camper there, south of the Volvo line. However, in 25 years of researching towns and properties in Maine, it's pretty clear to me, there is definitely a higher tax burden south of the Volvo line, which makes sense because they actually get services for their taxes paid.

Now some could argue over the value of the services received, but the fact remains, there is a difference in property values, town services, and taxes. It would therefore seem to me, one should inquire of NP's what it is they are seeking in Maine. Relative obscurity in the hinterlands with little by way of a town structure with low taxes, or the opposite. Maybe then, everyone would be considered honest in their replies on this forum?
Okay.
So when talking about Maine we should preface our posts with:

"South of the Volvo line"

or

"God's Country"


But wait, uh, someone recently was getting all ticked off about folks mentioning the Volvo line.

mm, who was it?

Nevermind, so you say that you have seen factual differences to life on either side of this line?

And your not Forest Beekeeper saying this?

Yet another independent confirmation of what has been stated many times previously, cool

Do you have 'class' issues too?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
33,185 posts, read 54,435,317 times
Reputation: 23667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
As a future Mainer, I've been looking into, well, everything. What I've read here, been told by people here who are from Maine, etc., the taxes are a lot easier to live with in Maine than they are here in West Texas. We don't pay state tax, but we do pay more three times as much in taxes on comparable real estate. And the county just hiked it another 18%.
Ouch!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Maine
2,299 posts, read 3,012,244 times
Reputation: 3401
My father-in-law owns 40+ acres in the Cascades in Washington State. When the Microsoft millionaires moved east from Seattle and started new or second families and wanted services, his property taxes increased dramatically.

We found property taxes to be pretty high in Texas, Michigan, Illinois, New Hampshire and New York, too. Is it Connecticut or New Jersey that has the highest in the nation?

Property taxes are low in Alabama ($125/year for a simple 3 bedroom home), but there's red ants. And it's Alabama.

The taxes on our Maine home east of Monmouth ($2445) are lower than other areas.

We would not move up to Maine if we felt we'd be a burden or a terrible addition to the state. We like and respect you all too much to do that.

Last edited by Fern435; 12-17-2008 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: added a line--but not about Volvos!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
33,185 posts, read 54,435,317 times
Reputation: 23667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I made up no lies. Mill rates are set by the town in most cases assuming one lives in a town to begin with. The milrate is low on undesireable land as there is little sense in taxing the destitute.
The mil rate in Old Town, is the same for all of Old Town.

The mil rate in Portland, is the same for all of Portland.

The mil rate in Eastport, is the same for all of Eastport.

No town that I am aware of uses different mil rates for different qualities of land.

That is crazy, and not truthful.



Quote:
... You try being honest for a change and stop leading people astray by telling them taxes are low here in Maine and land is cheap. That is total Bravo Sierra.
Okay fine.

I live here, and I enjoy these amazing low taxes.

I have lived elsewhere in the nation and paid far higher taxes.

How many people need to offer you coffee before you begin to smell it?

Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
33,185 posts, read 54,435,317 times
Reputation: 23667
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
I own a few properties in an Unorganized Township and one 28 acre piece in tree growth is $28.00/year. Now that there is a bargain.
Seriously, I hate to see valued members quibble-just thought I'd throw my .02 in.
Wait, listen, can you hear it?

The sound of pot stirring!

heh heh heh

Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:35 PM
 
Location: 43.55N 69.58W
3,231 posts, read 6,983,509 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Wait, listen, can you hear it?

The sound of pot stirring!

heh heh heh


And calling out a MOD isn't pot stirring?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:37 PM
 
8,767 posts, read 17,337,722 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Okay.
So when talking about Maine we should preface our posts with:

"South of the Volvo line"

or

"God's Country"


But wait, uh, someone recently was getting all ticked off about folks mentioning the Volvo line.

mm, who was it?

Nevermind, so you say that you have seen factual differences to life on either side of this line?

And your not Forest Beekeeper saying this?

Yet another independent confirmation of what has been stated many times previously, cool

Do you have 'class' issues too?
How about civilization and the boondocks??
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:37 PM
 
Location: In a van, down by the river.... LOL
21,347 posts, read 7,926,525 times
Reputation: 33323
Yes Forest, I do have class, thank-you. Issues? Not so much.

These are pics of my home on the Cape. In your area, my taxes would be pretty cheap I imagine. Now, if I built this house on the coast of Maine, then the taxes on it would be about 8-10k, rather than the $2400 I pay now. I am two miles from the beach here, but have ownership of a pond lot with 17 other homeowners and I abut 1,000 acres of woods. Not much by Maine standards, but that's a BIG deal down here on this sandspit.

For my $2400 of taxes, I live within 3 miles of the FD, PD, town library, and 8 restaurants. I am within 2 miles of a package store and mini-market. 5 miles to the grocery store as we are a bedroom community - ergo, NO big stores here.

Now... the further away from the coast I get, the taxes on this home would be close to $2400 or so, but the further I got from it, the more the taxes would drop.

Capice?
Attached Thumbnails
Relocation-img_2410.jpg   Relocation-img_2600.jpg  

Last edited by CoastalMaine; 12-17-2008 at 03:59 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 PM
 
8,767 posts, read 17,337,722 times
Reputation: 3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The mil rate in Old Town, is the same for all of Old Town.

The mil rate in Portland, is the same for all of Portland.

The mil rate in Eastport, is the same for all of Eastport.

No town that I am aware of uses different mil rates for different qualities of land.

That is crazy, and not truthful.





Okay fine.

I live here, and I enjoy these amazing low taxes.

I have lived elsewhere in the nation and paid far higher taxes.

How many people need to offer you coffee before you begin to smell it?

You just made my point for me. Different areas charge different mil rates for the type of property they have in their respective towns...
How long are you going to sling bulls**t and call it candy?
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top