Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:18 PM

36 posts, read 93,973 times

Advertisements

[quote=DaizyMaine;522593]
we too lost our wireless until I insisted the wireless company maintain their contract with us to provide the services for the year....whether it involved free installation of satellite equipment at the same monthly cost or whatever it took. You and I both had a signal until they made the business decision to move the tower. The wireless company was here for about 4 hours with a bucket truck and had to move the receiver onto the roof and put in a 6' antenna but we got our signal and service back. I knew, GHMare, that you had lost yours and asked how many more people he had to go see.....the young man that was here was not aware of anyone else behind the mountain that had a problem.....maybe you should prod them a little bit??

QUOTE]

Hello Daizy,
Believe me, I prodded and prodded and prodded. I was pretty much told, "sorry, we feel awful". Do you know if the tower has actually been moved though? I still have a signal and I'm a little afraid to call PW and ask what's up... if it ain't broke and all.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitlover View Post
I can't comment...yet. I will when I get the permission to.
All I can state is: if these people, UPC decide to prey on your town, get an attorney, stop them before they get a foot hold in your town.
I wasn't at the meeting, but my husband was. He didn't say anything about a "hush clause"... but then again, we're not actually members of MLA either.
qhmare

Old 04-01-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaizyMaine View Post
You mean if we didn't go to the meeting we can't know anything that was discussed, but it was an "open" meeting? What does that mean?
Daizy, I'm not sure which meeting rabbitlover is talking about. My husband was at the Friday afternoon meeting and he didn't say he had to keep quiet about anything. We are not members of the MLA though, so maybe that's why we weren't specifically told to keep quiet. In any case, from what he told me, nothing was truly accomplished, UPC came to "hear the concerns". They were given the concerns and perhaps will come back with replies. A handout that was given out by the UPC representatives said that individual households that have filed a complaint will be contacted. Maybe not those specific words, but to that effect. I'm not sure with whom the complaint has to be made, perhaps DEP? Not sure. My husband and I have had correspondence with UPC since the very beginning (I should clarify that it was mostly one-sided though, they didn't reply to several queries) but as far as filing a formal complaint, we've not done that.

Have you seen the first for sale sign? It's up.
qhmare

Old 04-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitlover View Post
[font="Arial Black"]I have a question...why can't I get TimeWarner where I am???
rabbitlover, I think it is because there has to be a certain number of households per mile that would use cable. If there aren't that many, they don't feel it is worth it to run the cable. You are in a little cluster of close households, but there is a lot of empty space between town and you.
qhmare

Old 04-01-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
I was thinking of you all yesterday. How did your meeting go? I do hope some resolution is found that you each find acceptable
JustSayNo,
As far as I know, there is no resolution at this point. They want time to do noise surveys... (I think they need to take lots of time to do it right!) For us, noise is our biggest issue, so that's what I pay more attention to.

For others, it is value of their land. The first FOR SALE sign went up that I've seen, so we'll have to wait and see what a hot commodity this hunk of rock truly is.

For others, it is flicker. We're not terribly affected by flicker yet, but as the seasons change, so may that.

For still others, they have concerns about ice throw and fire. I'm not sure how much risk either of those issues are, I've not done any research on it. I would have to read more to say one way or another whether those are a concern of mine.
qhmare

Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 AM

117 posts, read 430,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhmare View Post
I wasn't at the meeting, but my husband was. He didn't say anything about a "hush clause"... but then again, we're not actually members of MLA either.
qhmare

It's not so much a hush clause as much as it was a request from someone at the meeting to not say much, but I have to keep my mouth shut until I get the "go ahead"!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:59 PM

24 posts, read 67,269 times
Default Loss of Wireless

Quote:

Hello Daizy,
Believe me, I prodded and prodded and prodded. I was pretty much told, "sorry, we feel awful". Do you know if the tower has actually been moved though? I still have a signal and I'm a little afraid to call PW and ask what's up... if it ain't broke and all.

Our neighbor across the way lost theirs too, like you, even after much prodding. The tower has moved (we were out for 10 days and they had to move our receiver and put a large antenna on the roof) The young man that worked hours to find the signal for us said that if you had line of sight to the new tower a signal should be there. Not sure if you have line of sight of the new tower on that side of the road or not but maybe you do and that's why you still have a signal. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. We were on dial-up for those 10 days and it was way too frustrating!!

Our neighbors got their service last June and didn't have a contract, by October when we signed up they required a years commitment and a contract. When they came to pick up their equipment last week I insisted that they honor their contract to provide high-speed internet for a year even if it meant they had to bring in their new satellite system. If I cancelled the contract I would have to pay $48 for the next 7 months. The additional cost of satellite equipment wouldn't be absorbed by me because I had already paid for high-speed installation. All of a sudden they thought they could make it work and they did.

They originally blamed the windmills but my husband eventually got them to admit that OUR loss of signal was a business decision they made to lose a "few" customers for the general good of a larger bank of customers.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:01 PM

106 posts, read 371,439 times
Hey Mars Hill folks --- what's the MLA?

Old 04-02-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrow View Post
Hey Mars Hill folks --- what's the MLA?
Mountain Landowners Association.
qhmare

Old 04-02-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaizyMaine View Post
Our neighbor across the way lost theirs too, like you, even after much prodding. The tower has moved (we were out for 10 days and they had to move our receiver and put a large antenna on the roof) The young man that worked hours to find the signal for us said that if you had line of sight to the new tower a signal should be there. Not sure if you have line of sight of the new tower on that side of the road or not but maybe you do and that's why you still have a signal. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. We were on dial-up for those 10 days and it was way too frustrating!!

Our neighbors got their service last June and didn't have a contract, by October when we signed up they required a years commitment and a contract. When they came to pick up their equipment last week I insisted that they honor their contract to provide high-speed internet for a year even if it meant they had to bring in their new satellite system. If I cancelled the contract I would have to pay $48 for the next 7 months. The additional cost of satellite equipment wouldn't be absorbed by me because I had already paid for high-speed installation. All of a sudden they thought they could make it work and they did.

They originally blamed the windmills but my husband eventually got them to admit that OUR loss of signal was a business decision they made to lose a "few" customers for the general good of a larger bank of customers.
This is so weird. I lost a signal for a couple of days, and was on the phone with their general manager who assumed there was a problem with my computer and ended up having to do a remote access to find the problem. The strangest thing was that I didn't lose all access during that time, but could not download my email and could not access the provider's websites. I could surf anywhere else I tried though.

I've assumed that their old tower was in the middle dip of the mountain which is a very clear direct line of sight for us. I can't see past the trees toward the north end to know even where the new tower is. I should just be jumping for joy, I guess... they said we'd lose it and now 2 weeks later it is still here and working fine... I hope it stays this way!

I think it was Oct/Nov when we signed on with them too, and we've got a 1year contract as well. My husband did pressure them to agree that once they got satellite up and running that we would slide over to that without any installation fees, but in the meantime we'd have to use dialup. I'm so glad I haven't had to yet!
qhmare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine