Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2020, 08:30 AM

5,100 posts, read 2,661,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
But the theory behind them is sound, it’s the adherence and application that is the issue. The real world isn’t a controlled lab experiment. Anyway. Carry on.

Perhaps under certain conditions the theory is sound. Insofar as some masks inhibit droplets, they may mitigate within certain contexts such as settings where people are having conversations or where someone may sneeze on a subway. However other studies have demonstrated that certain masks (like polyesters, fleece or bandanas, which I still see frequently) could generate even more droplets.

Infection, however, is the product of a complex combination of viral load, length of exposure, and the strength or weakness of the individual's immune system. And I agree that the real world isn't a lab experiment, and that strengthens the argument that public health hazard countermeasures need to be designed against real human behavior and not ideal lab conditions or what we think people should be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 09:35 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
You touched upon something that I have observed regarding the different materials selected. Some are more effective than others. If it was up to me, I would develop a “mask standard” in the hopes of trying to standardize mask materials and construction. Far too much variation out there in what people use and it does make a difference in how effective they do work as a diffuser. Of course, a mask standard requires someone to police that..and now we’ve opened up an entirely different can of worms.

As a filter, they are all quite poor. Bandanas are among the worst examples. Under certain environmental conditions they are even worse. A cloth mask is more effective. Are they 100%? No? But many do slow the projection down and dissapate it closer to a wearers face. That, coupled with social distancing measures does reduce the area of immediate concern. Now, what happens after that when the virus has passed through a mask is out of my area of expertise.

But with that said, the inconsistencies in materials and wearing practices doesn’t make for a perfect system, but that doesn’t mean that it should be abandoned completely.

And I’m not perfect either. There’s been a few times I’ve worn a balaclava that I know is useless just to adhere to the requirement when outdoors.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:39 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times
IMO, anti-maskers should go to the Politics and Other Controversies forum to spew their garbage.

This thread is for sharing and discussing accurate information about COVID-19.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:50 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
You touched upon something that I have observed regarding the different materials selected. Some are more effective than others. If it was up to me, I would develop a “mask standard” in the hopes of trying to standardize mask materials and construction. Far too much variation out there in what people use and it does make a difference in how effective they do work as a diffuser. Of course, a mask standard requires someone to police that..and now we’ve opened up an entirely different can of worms.

As a filter, they are all quite poor. Bandanas are among the worst examples. Under certain environmental conditions they are even worse. A cloth mask is more effective. Are they 100%? No? But many do slow the projection down and dissapate it closer to a wearers face. That, coupled with social distancing measures does reduce the area of immediate concern. Now, what happens after that when the virus has passed through a mask is out of my area of expertise.

But with that said, the inconsistencies in materials and wearing practices doesn’t make for a perfect system, but that doesn’t mean that it should be abandoned completely.

And I’m not perfect either. There’s been a few times I’ve worn a balaclava that I know is useless just to adhere to the requirement when outdoors.
IMO, the correct thing last February would have been to assure production of N95 masks so they’d be massively available to the general public by now. In parallel with that, fund materials research to have a better solution for heavy exercise since an N95 mask is so restrictive. In a nation of selfish people, it’s easier to sell “protect yourself” than “protect others”.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:50 AM

23,541 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
This thread is for sharing and discussing accurate information about COVID-19.

And in MASSACHUSETTS.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:59 AM

23,541 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
IMO, the correct thing last February would have been to assure production of N95 masks so they’d be massively available to the general public by now. In parallel with that, fund materials research to have a better solution for heavy exercise since an N95 mask is so restrictive. In a nation of selfish people, it’s easier to sell “protect yourself” than “protect others”.

Have you tried wearing an N95 mask for an extended period of time??? It ain't happening for most, save for a quick run into the grocery store. You would also need to wear goggles to prevent transmission that way. I just don't see much greater compliance with N95s vs. the standard cloth face masks.

Old 11-22-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:

I don't dispute this at all. My point is that mask-wearing as a religion--which appears to be the case as evidenced by behavior and certain comments on this thread--can be more of a detriment than a mitigator. Public health measures are most effective when they take into account what people actually do. I don't advocate abandoning masks, but psychology is a factor and should be taken into account.

Most of this is speculative at this point. None of what has been done have been proven outright to have had any influence on how the virus has moved thorough the world.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 11-22-2020 at 10:21 AM..

Old 11-22-2020, 10:58 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
You are right. Biggest wildcard is the human element. I’ve seen plenty of cases where N95s aren’t even worn correctly, especially by folks who don’t want to shave off their facial hair to allow them to fit correctly.

And again, I’m guilty of this myself. I’ve worn an N95 off and on since March. I never shaved. I painted a car a few weeks ago and DID shave to allow the remote-air respirator to fully seal on my face. Guess I’m more worried about isocyanates over covid

Anyway....back to massachusetts talk

Old 11-22-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I’ve seen plenty of cases where N95s aren’t even worn correctly, especially by folks who don’t want to shave off their facial hair to allow them to fit correctly.

This little factoid surprised the hell out of me during H1N1 when I was advised that I needed to be "fit-tested" for an N95. I said to myself, really? I have to be fit-tested for this...this... spray paint mask? Life is great.....one learning moment after another. But only if we let it be.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,376,773 times
My friends who work in the Partners Healthcare system were all fitted for N-95 early on, of necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts