Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 02:20 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,358,262 times

Advertisements

7,029,917 people live in MA as of the 2020 census

Population by US state + Puerto Rico
https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...20-table02.pdf

Map of population growth
https://www2.census.gov/programs-sur...2020-map03.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 02:31 PM

9,292 posts, read 6,433,734 times
It is very interesting where the population growth occurred this time around. New Hampshire came in second to Mass within New England and Connecticut was almost in the negative with the fourth lowest growth rate among the fifty states.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It is very interesting where the population growth occurred this time around. New Hampshire came in second to Mass within New England and Connecticut was almost in the negative with the fourth lowest growth rate among the fifty states.
My guess is Boston metro. Both NH and RI grew quite a bit (compared to the rest of New England) and both of them have regions that are art of greater Boston.
We will have a better idea when data by county are released. The yearly data point in that direction.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:08 PM

The northeast is actually the only macro-region that show a bigger increase in population in the 2020 census compared to the 2010 census.

Interactive map
https://www.census.gov/library/visua...-data-map.html

Old 04-26-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
My guess is Boston metro. Both NH and RI grew quite a bit (compared to the rest of New England) and both of them have regions that are art of greater Boston.
We will have a better idea when data by county are released. The yearly data point in that direction.
That makes perfect sense. I was more taken aback how Connecticut was barely positive when NJ, NY, RI, NH and MA all had more than 4% growth. Even Vermont and Maine with the lack of good jobs managed to both exceed 2.5%.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
The northeast is actually the only macro-region that show a bigger increase in population in the 2020 census compared to the 2010 census.

Interactive map
https://www.census.gov/library/visua...-data-map.html
New York has been bleeding federal representation since the 1950 census.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:10 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,866,319 times
Quote:
That makes perfect sense. I was more taken aback how Connecticut was barely positive when NJ, NY, RI, NH and MA all had more than 4% growth. Even Vermont and Maine with the lack of good jobs managed to both exceed 2.5%.
I'm in CT now in Stafford Tolland County to be exact. There's more people in Springfield than all of Tolland County. Most of the population I would say of Connecticut is along Fairfield County and maybe New Haven and then Hartford County.

Massachusetts plan to Fairmount a growth in smaller cities and there's entities like Mass development and the school building authority that do help out communities. Connecticut has a horrible relationship between the state and local governments. Connecticut tried to plan for growth in towns for that just didn't happen. For the most part the state operates As A Confederacy of towns almost like Germany or Italy before unification. I can easily point out men differences that most people might not see but in terms of outright policy their complete programs and entities Massachusetts that have been around for decades and Connecticut's only doing it now. I would argue Connecticut is 30 to 50 years behind Massachusetts in terms of public policy.

Recently I found out some more about the city of Hartford and they're just in a downward spiral. Maybe it was covid-19 has been a series of retirements and people leaving with even less than one year at leaving a serious Gap in terms of service. It's sort of sad because the taxes tend to be higher than Massachusetts and yet I don't see that they're getting that much more for it.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:38 PM

21,806 posts, read 12,987,563 times
Quote:
CT gained 50,000 people. Thats not almost in the negative

Old 04-26-2021, 05:04 PM

12,237 posts, read 8,156,388 times
I always thought MA was undercounted (Among other states like NY) per my other post in the Bosotn forum I revived.

It makes it an interesting topic... where did these extra 150k or so people come from? Who was undercounted the most?

I am going to put my vote for Somerville. The cesnus showed the population plateauing from 2017 onwards even as rental units hit 0% availability and new construction hit 1,000 per year coming online post 2017.

I really think most of the undercounting in the US Census, in general, are in urban markets with high international migration. I think for Massachusetts, Boston's population is closer to 705,000... Somerville's around 90,000, Cambridge about 125,000. Wel, see.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:27 PM

7,942 posts, read 7,866,319 times
There was a fair amount of outreach. We've had some talks here about growth and there are a number of a communities that have grown in the past decade. Springfield has a few thousand but it wouldn't surprise me if plymouth gained another 5k. If ever other town gained about 500 or so then yeah I can easily see these numbers. Worcester, lowell maybe a bit in fall river and new bedford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts