Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 09:28 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
But now you're kind of moving the goalposts, these key words you use very much do matter when speaking to a wide variety of people who don't necessarily have any familiarity with the area. OP is from Long Island, so their point of reference might be the Hamptons and will likely be disappointed with anything on the South Shore (never mind Boston Harbor). Same thing with somebody from Miami or San Diego. You have to accept that someone who's only visited these destination tourist beaches is going to have vastly different expectations, than somebody who grew up thinking Nantasket was the greatest in the world (myself one of those). It's not a knock on our local spots, I already said they are good to have if you live nearby. We ran into a similar disagreement in the RI forum, over Narragansett Bay beaches that are a good notch above Wolly (where if you see somebody in the water btw., I can guarantee you they are not a local).
None of the goalposts have budged. I said "decent," and I still say "decent." There's subjectivity involved in beach preferences, but I still maintain that taking issue with a description of "decent" is a pretty big nitpick. On no planet is "decent" a glowing endorsement. The OP sought feedback on Quincy after the nicer beach towns were ruled out due to commuting issues. Not only was it specifically pointed out that Quincy's beaches are not as nice as the better beaches in the region, but the entire context of the Quincy conversation was with the understanding that it's a compromise of sorts - something that's not as ideal as the more desirable towns, but still checks some of the boxes. So again, I'm not sure what aspect of any of this you find to be misleading? If you are still hung up on "decent" for being too generous, that's fine. Agree to disagree. Hopefully the OP will take a swing by some of the Quincy beaches and decide for themselves before plunking down $800k or more on a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 09:38 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have no experience with those beaches. What’s wrong with them? Our common reference point is Baker’s, Horseneck, and Cherry & Webb. I’m wondering how they compare to, say, the New Bedford municipal beaches.
There's nothing wrong with them, they're just not as pleasant of an experience as something like Horseneck/Bakers/Cherry and Webb. The sand is rougher, there are no dunes, and the water isn't as clear as the open ocean (or Buzzard's Bay/Nantucket Sound/Massachusetts Bay/Cape Cod Bay) water. They're still within Boston Harbor which can be a bit of a psychological hurdle. New Bedford municipal beaches are a good comparison. I actually prefer the water/sand of New Bedford a little bit more than Quincy beaches if I had to choose.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:07 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
I have no experience with those beaches. What’s wrong with them? Our common reference point is Baker’s, Horseneck, and Cherry & Webb. I’m wondering how they compare to, say, the New Bedford municipal beaches.
Not the cleanest. Trucked in and/or rocky sand. Murky water. Subject to pollution from storm drain overflow (which I suspect has been less of a problem this summer, but...). I believe those New Beige beaches at least have natural sand (despite being on the dirty side), kind of like Fort Phoenix?

Old 08-09-2022, 10:11 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
What’s wrong with them?
The "class" (cough) of the people that use them.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:23 AM

16,398 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I don't think the class of people has much to do with it. You'll find all types of people at many beaches. I've heard people call Nantasket...Nantrashbasket. At beaches like Marshfield, Scituate and Duxbury anyone can buy a beach sticker to use the beaches.

Taking a dip in Wollaston beach or L st isn't particularly refreshing to me but maybe it is to someone else.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't think the class of people has much to do with it.

Of course it doesn't. Even sparky here knows that, he's just trying to start one of his typical off topic "you know what" debates.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't think the class of people has much to do with it. You'll find all types of people at many beaches. I've heard people call Nantasket...Nantrashbasket. At beaches like Marshfield, Scituate and Duxbury anyone can buy a beach sticker to use the beaches.

Taking a dip in Wollaston beach or L st isn't particularly refreshing to me but maybe it is to someone else.
In my town, you need to be a resident or pay property taxes to get a sticker and the main beach at Round Hill doesn’t do day passes. It’s almost a mile from the gate where they check stickers and there is no street parking near the gate. I’m kind of surprised that somewhere like DeluxeBury would have any access for nonresidents.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
In my town, you need to be a resident or pay property taxes to get a sticker and the main beach at Round Hill doesn’t do day passes. It’s almost a mile from the gate where they check stickers and there is no street parking near the gate. I’m kind of surprised that somewhere like DeluxeBury would have any access for nonresidents.
Duxbury is a state beach.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:07 PM

16,398 posts, read 8,198,277 times
In Duxbury if you're a non resident you can still get a sticker but you are charged a higher fee. People are pretty upset now because the drive on beach has been closed due to the plovers. So lots of people bought stickers and can't use the beach.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:52 PM

28 posts, read 20,171 times
Interesting points! So yes, I was so fortunate to be 10-15 minutes from Robert Moses/Atlantic Ocean growing up. Keep in mind I haven’t lived on Long Island since 2008 and moving to Charlotte where you’re 4 hours from the coast was an adjustment. My little guy is a fish. I think we are more excited at the idea of sailing, rowing, fishing, recreation and if it happens to have sand and is swimmable - even better! We are still in better shape vs. Charlotte, where we see the water maybe 3 days out of the year.

Not necessarily looking for a unicorn but it seems overall the science opportunities for him, engaging camps, great schools, proximity to a coast line with maybe accessible day and weekend trips as options - for the full ocean experience? My kid wants to tag sharks, get scuba certified (N. Readings own YouTube star Jonathan Bird is this kids idol). I think anything he can get his hands on is just an huge win in our eyes. We are cheap dates er….I guess not really cheap but lol!

There is a difference for sure between bay beaches and ocean beaches - I envision this to being similar to CT? Where they are on the LI sound vs. the Atlantic? The Gulf of Maine is new to me, I only have experience with the other gulf! Which is much calmer than an ocean (when there is not a hurricane lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts