Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 12:54 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

I seem to remember a restaurant or two on Wollaston Beach that backed right up to the beach. They had outside decks overlooking the beach. I am talking late 1960's. Am I remember correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 11:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalloway4 View Post
Interesting points! So yes, I was so fortunate to be 10-15 minutes from Robert Moses/Atlantic Ocean growing up. Keep in mind I haven’t lived on Long Island since 2008 and moving to Charlotte where you’re 4 hours from the coast was an adjustment. My little guy is a fish. I think we are more excited at the idea of sailing, rowing, fishing, recreation and if it happens to have sand and is swimmable - even better! We are still in better shape vs. Charlotte, where we see the water maybe 3 days out of the year.

Not necessarily looking for a unicorn but it seems overall the science opportunities for him, engaging camps, great schools, proximity to a coast line with maybe accessible day and weekend trips as options - for the full ocean experience? My kid wants to tag sharks, get scuba certified (N. Readings own YouTube star Jonathan Bird is this kids idol). I think anything he can get his hands on is just an huge win in our eyes. We are cheap dates er….I guess not really cheap but lol!

There is a difference for sure between bay beaches and ocean beaches - I envision this to being similar to CT? Where they are on the LI sound vs. the Atlantic? The Gulf of Maine is new to me, I only have experience with the other gulf! Which is much calmer than an ocean (when there is not a hurricane lol).
What are your thoughts on a boat? There are tons of Boston ‘burb people on moorings in my harbor. I did that for 20 years. You don’t have to live on salt water with an awful commute. There are other ways to get access.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:01 PM

28 posts, read 20,171 times
Any thoughts on Wayland? Looks like there may be some water around there with lots of things to do?

Old 08-10-2022, 09:11 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Any thoughts on Wayland? Looks like there may be some water around there with lots of things to do?

It's one of the "W" towns, known for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. If you can find something there in your range, go for it. Lake Cohituate is there, or bordering it.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:54 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Interesting points! So yes, I was so fortunate to be 10-15 minutes from Robert Moses/Atlantic Ocean growing up. Keep in mind I haven’t lived on Long Island since 2008 and moving to Charlotte where you’re 4 hours from the coast was an adjustment. My little guy is a fish. I think we are more excited at the idea of sailing, rowing, fishing, recreation and if it happens to have sand and is swimmable - even better! We are still in better shape vs. Charlotte, where we see the water maybe 3 days out of the year.

Not necessarily looking for a unicorn but it seems overall the science opportunities for him, engaging camps, great schools, proximity to a coast line with maybe accessible day and weekend trips as options - for the full ocean experience? My kid wants to tag sharks, get scuba certified (N. Readings own YouTube star Jonathan Bird is this kids idol). I think anything he can get his hands on is just an huge win in our eyes. We are cheap dates er….I guess not really cheap but lol!

There is a difference for sure between bay beaches and ocean beaches - I envision this to being similar to CT? Where they are on the LI sound vs. the Atlantic? The Gulf of Maine is new to me, I only have experience with the other gulf! Which is much calmer than an ocean (when there is not a hurricane lol).

I sympathize with all the wide range of responses you have received, in how it must be confusing to sort through and make sense of. But this is good food for thought, regarding Wollaston and other harbor beaches that don't get the natural "flush" of the ocean facing ones. And this headline is actually pretty misleading imo, as I would be more concerned with "can you trust the BLUE flags (water safe to swim)".

Seeing red: Water quality postings at Wollaston Beach are 'fatally flawed,' nonprofit says

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/...o/10224137002/

Would "you" take the chance and rely on "yesterday's" readings for your own safety and health???

Old 08-12-2022, 06:39 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
If you want sharks you should move further down the south shore aka the cape.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:03 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your feedback and sticking with me!! I truly appreciate it! Front runners and a commute to Needham: Hingham, Milton, parts of Norwell and most SW towns (if affordable). Steering clear of too far West as I work in Finance and in the event the bank changes it’s mind about me being fully remote (which has been known to happen!)

We are touring towns and visiting the Needham studio in the upcoming weeks and will be touring a lot of the towns all of you have recommended! I appreciate the feedback as always! Our home goes on the market at the end of this week, so we are chugging along!
I think a Hingham to Needham commute would be soul-sucking and horrifying.

I would live in Needham (or wherever near Needham you can find a place in your budget -- maybe even Medfield or Sharon) and just go to the beach every weekend if you want. You could then pick North Shore or South Shore.

We have friends in Needham who have a boat, which they keep docked in an area not far from the airport. They are on the boat pretty much every weekend in the summer.

There are also some lakes nearby if you need something super close.

I love the beach and the water, too. So I get the allure of possibly living right on the shore. But not at the cost of a horrible commute -- especially one that would be daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts