Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 10:00 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalloway4 View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on Quincy/North Quincy?

Do you like ugly condos being thrown up on every last square inch of dirt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 10:03 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Do you like ugly condos being thrown up on every last square inch of dirt?
I don't.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:34 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalloway4 View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on Quincy/North Quincy?
Quincy is quite a bit different than the "ideal" coastal towns you identified earlier in this thread. It's far more built up than a place like Marblehead and it continues to develop at a fairly rapid clip. There are some decent neighborhoods close to the water, but the housing stock is pretty tightly packed together in most of those. And from an aesthetic standpoint, I don't find them to be anywhere close to the the same level as waterfront/adjacent neighborhoods in many of the other North and South Shore towns that have been discussed in this thread. The upside is there a are lot of places in Quincy where you're close to some decent beaches.

It's fairly diverse with a large and growing Asian community, a recent influx of young professionals, and a still very present established, largely working class community of residents who have been in town for a long time. There's some resentment (and occasionally some friction) between the multi-generational residents and the newcomers, but that's not atypical of most established working class towns in Massachusetts that are attracting more affluent residents. I can't speak to the schools or the "family friendly" feel of Quincy, but I would note that it's a much larger and more urban locale than others you've looked at and that generally correlates with schools that are not top tier and less of a "one community" feel. I don't know Quincy to be any different in that regard.

From what I've read of your wish list, I'd look into Milton where you'll get similar access to Boston, you'll still be close to the water and everything else Quincy has to offer, and most of the community/family friendly boxes will be easier to check. It doesn't seem to me like Quincy would be the best fit.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:47 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Quincy is quite a bit different than the "ideal" coastal towns you identified earlier in this thread. It's far more built up than a place like Marblehead and it continues to develop at a fairly rapid clip. There are some decent neighborhoods close to the water, but the housing stock is pretty tightly packed together in most of those. And from an aesthetic standpoint, I don't find them to be anywhere close to the the same level as waterfront/adjacent neighborhoods in many of the other North and South Shore towns that have been discussed in this thread. The upside is there a are lot of places in Quincy where you're close to some decent beaches.

It's fairly diverse with a large and growing Asian community, a recent influx of young professionals, and a still very present established, largely working class community of residents who have been in town for a long time. There's some resentment (and occasionally some friction) between the multi-generational residents and the newcomers, but that's not atypical of most established working class towns in Massachusetts that are attracting more affluent residents. I can't speak to the schools or the "family friendly" feel of Quincy, but I would note that it's a much larger and more urban locale than others you've looked at and that generally correlates with schools that are not top tier and less of a "one community" feel. I don't know Quincy to be any different in that regard.

From what I've read of your wish list, I'd look into Milton where you'll get similar access to Boston, you'll still be close to the water and everything else Quincy has to offer, and most of the community/family friendly boxes will be easier to check. It doesn't seem to me like Quincy would be the best fit.

This is mostly accurate, but where are these "decent" beaches nearby that you speak of??? North Quincy High actually scores pretty well these days (maybe even rivaling Milton?), Quincy High average to below averagish (more economic diversity and all) although it's a brand new building and guess it has some good offerings. But overall, I'd say Quincy is no longer interested in catering to families while Milton still is. But with what Milton costs, why not just go with one the metro-west towns mentioned previously if they are commuting to Brigham Circle? You will get a leafier/closer to nature feel, and it's not like Milton is even that close the real ocean.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:00 AM

Quincy is interesting. It has changed a lot, it's nicer than it used to be, North Quincy high does rate well, the T is there (that used to be an attraction), it's a convenient location, nice restaurants, Marina Bay, etc...but it doesn't seem to have risen much in popularity.

People who move here just want to live in the same damn places. I'd welcome and encourage someone to move to Quincy..but people just obsess over internet ratings and what the 'top' towns are and that's how where they have to live.

Anyone want to live in Woburn these days?

Last edited by msRB311; 08-08-2022 at 11:09 AM..

Old 08-08-2022, 11:59 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This is mostly accurate, but where are these "decent" beaches nearby that you speak of??? North Quincy High actually scores pretty well these days (maybe even rivaling Milton?), Quincy High average to below averagish (more economic diversity and all) although it's a brand new building and guess it has some good offerings. But overall, I'd say Quincy is no longer interested in catering to families while Milton still is. But with what Milton costs, why not just go with one the metro-west towns mentioned previously if they are commuting to Brigham Circle? You will get a leafier/closer to nature feel, and it's not like Milton is even that close the real ocean.
What's wrong with Wollaston, Perry, Orchard, or Nickerson beaches?

Old 08-08-2022, 12:16 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I can't speak to the schools or the "family friendly" feel of Quincy, but I would note that it's a much larger and more urban locale than others you've looked at and that generally correlates with schools that are not top tier and less of a "one community" feel. I don't know Quincy to be any different in that regard.

FWIW, Quincy has a 10% poverty rate. The majority of households are renters. That kind of has to stress the school system. I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for one of the blue chip school systems.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:22 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
FWIW, Quincy has a 10% poverty rate. The majority of households are renters. That kind of has to stress the school system. I'm pretty sure the OP is looking for one of the blue chip school systems.
So is everyone else.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:34 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So is everyone else.

"Everyone else" doesn't necessarily have a 20% down < $1.2 million housing budget. There are some easy commute options to Needham an exit below Route 9 with strong schools at that price point. Same for Longwood Medical using commuter rail. This is why so many people land in those suburbs. Living on the coast is a soul-destroying commute.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:45 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
"Everyone else" doesn't necessarily have a 20% down < $1.2 million housing budget. There are some easy commute options to Needham an exit below Route 9 with strong schools at that price point. Same for Longwood Medical using commuter rail. This is why so many people land in those suburbs. Living on the coast is a soul-destroying commute.
The majority of people moving here have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts