Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 02:58 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
As might be expected from someone who has only lived in the area and uses the term transplant as a pejorative, what you consider conservative may be different that what someone from another part of the country considers conservative. Independent of lots of other context, presidential election results are a good gauge of how conservative an area is on the the scale of the United States.

The South Shore is conservative for greater Boston. There are far more conservative parts of the state, and far far far far far far more conservative parts of the country. You will see Trump flags. You will see "Let's go Brandon" bumper stickers. Trump voters are present, but generally in the minority. Very vocal Trump supporters are also present but in the extreme minority.
In past elections I might agree, but it's harder to say now given that we haven't had an actual conservative run for president the past few cycles (Trump certainly ain't one). As for the very vocal Trump supporters, they might be in the minority here but they sure are loud and with a very visible presence. I recently came from a Trump leaning area of Maine, and actually find the Trump people here more in your face and fanatical. I don't know how it is in NC, but that's something to consider if you're looking to totally "escape" that or other things one might take offense to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 03:01 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think people on this forum assume that anyone who Votes for trump is from carver or is a cop. I’m here to tell you this isn’t the case. No need to get angry about it.

The uppa baby founder is a Yale grad and lives in hingham or norwell I believe. She’s trying to start a hockey academy here on the south shore that people from all over the country have expressed interest in.
Too funny, I had no idea the founder was even from Hingham or Norwell! I just included UPPA baby because they are so called luxury strollers. I think they are ~$1000+ and those stereotypical Hingham SAHM would most certainly have to have one. The $200-300 ones from Target just wouldn't do! lol

Old 07-18-2022, 03:01 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
It seems like that is what this forum is focused on. Who are the unsuccessful Trump voters left in the area? Who can’t afford to live well in the area ? Find those people and make them feel unwelcome. That is the gist of this forum.

Come to many pockets of the south shore and you’ll be surprised
I think there is a bit of jealousy involved as well. Recent transplants who will never have what locals do no matter how much money they have, so they try to compensate in other ways.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:04 PM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I find anyone who votes for Trump to be a breath of fresh air.

I say this as an immigrant grandma of a democratic. Daughter of a staunch republican. I don’t really like Trump but he’s better than the alternative. We need to be careful of who we let cross our borders.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:10 PM

Default fd

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Too funny, I had no idea the founder was even from Hingham or Norwell! I just included UPPA baby because they are so called luxury strollers. I think they are ~$1000+ and those stereotypical Hingham SAHM would most certainly have to have one. The $200-300 ones from Target just wouldn't do! lol
Oh yeah looks like lauren monahan who is the founder of uppa baby could afford hingham but lives in norwell. she is a big part of lovell academyl a hockey school in the area, https://lovellacademy.org/

Old 07-18-2022, 03:15 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
Oh yeah looks like lauren monahan who is the founder of uppa baby could afford hingham but lives in norwell. she is a big part of lovell academyl a hockey school in the area, https://lovellacademy.org/
Make money off the Hingham crowd and celebs but live in more down to earth Norwell. Smarty lady, I'd do the same! lol

Old 07-18-2022, 03:30 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Make money off the Hingham crowd and celebs but live in more down to earth Norwell. Smarty lady, I'd do the same! lol

Hingham isnt missing her money.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:34 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalloway4 View Post
Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your feedback on STEM programs, I have been doing some research on the schools and it looks like the following schools seem to have some really great science programs (including marine!) while being near the coast. We would love to be if not near the coast, <20-30min drive from the coast

To give background:
Budget: < 1.2m 20% down
Family: Family of 3, son is about to be 8
Occupations: 2-3x a week in the Financial District (Me) & 5x a week in Cambridge (Husband)
Transportation: Currently are a 2 car household - would love rail options
Hobbies: Museums, nature trails, fishing, beach, ice skating, skiing, science
Wish Lists: Accessible after-school care, summer camps
Us: Very laid back/down to earth, liberal - really could care less about needing a new car every year or having perfect hair all the time lol

We are definitely open to the idea of renting as well until possible inventory increase and pricings to "normalize"! Not sure if this is wishful thinking

North Shore
Marblehead

South Shore
Norwell
Scituate
Hingham
Cohasset

Does anyone have any "good fit" thoughts/feedback on these areas or other areas we should look at?

Again, appreciate all of the help! Thanks so much.
TC
I live in Newburyport and the commute from Newburyport into Cambridge and Boston isn't good. That said, it's on the coast, beautiful coast, it's a very nice town, with exceptional parks flanking it - Maudslay State Park and the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge. Schools in Newburyport are said to be pretty good - not tops, but above average, which in Mass, is pretty good. There is a commuter rail station - the line will take you to North Station, although I'd say that's more valuable as a backup than the primary way to commute. Ice skating at the Frog Pond, fishing, kayaking, SUP in Joppa Flats, the Merrimack River, the beach at Plum Island, Plum Island Sound, cross country skiing in Maudslay State Park, birding in Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, etc, etc. If you really appreciate the outdoors and like a little less crowds, a little slower pace, with still a feasible commute into the city - it's hard to beat. I think it's at least worth a good look. I live out there, and working in pharma/biotech, I've done that commute into Cambridge many many times - do I like it? No. Do I want to move in closer? Again, no.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-18-2022 at 04:00 PM..

Old 07-18-2022, 04:59 PM

28 posts, read 20,171 times
Thanks everyone! I’m so sorry this has turned into something - it was not quite fair of me to ask everyone for generalized views of towns. Of course, I’m sure not everyone in any town is a hard right or a hard left (I’m an example of that in my area lol).

Regardless of that, you can usually tell a vibe of a town/neighborhood! I appreciate the suggestions and feedback! I am excited to look at some of the towns. It is so hard to go by pictures alone so thank you!

Old 07-18-2022, 05:20 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Only when you get to the South Coast do you start even getting majority Trump voter towns.
To quibble, the South Coast is the towns on salt water from Westport to the canal. None of those went Trump.

On this thread topic, I think the OP should focus on the non soul-crushing commute as the priority. They can always buy a vacation home once the market corrects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts