Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 01:06 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There are lots of warm, welcoming towns, most places are and people can find their niche...but I refuse to pretend that if you're a liberal thinking person Hingham is where it's at.

I hear people here say all the time how diverse milton is and it kind of makes me chuckle. It is more divserse than many nice towns but it certainly isn't this utopic melting pot...and it's darn unaffordable for most.

The OP seems cool and I hope she finds a nice place to live that suits her. I get the impression they are drawn to coastal areas because of their son but if they want a down to earth/liberal vibe that has a good commute i don't think hingham is the best place of all the towns in MA.

Milton has become a lot more pretentious in recent years, and definitely a lot of virtue signalling going on there. Still probably a better place for somebody like the OP, than Hingham. I mean it is very liberal now, and not "quite" as stuffy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 01:18 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I agree Milton is more diverse than Hingham...but yes you have to be able to afford it as well. I'm not sure what public schools are better between Milton and Hingham. I think some well to do liberal types move to milton to be able to say they live a diverse neighborhood meanwhile they live in indian cliffs or the columbines.

Hingham has just been off the charts with social class and affordability. I feel like main street used to be the most beautiful place in Hingham but now there's Black Rock, Baker Hill, Crow point. It seems like a more affordable neighborhood in Hingham is Liberty pole, but i don't know how affordable it is these days.

Old 07-18-2022, 01:25 PM

181 posts, read 124,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
I made the mistake of questioning a guy who has posted on City-data 100+ times on a workday. You win!

lol

Old 07-18-2022, 01:29 PM

I post here a lot but not sure on 100 plus times a day. Lucky me for having such a lax job these days. I also know how to multi task.

I know this board is filled with hardworking high IQ biopharma liberal execs with 1.5 plus million budgets. All the time in the world to argue on city data right ? You win!

Old 07-18-2022, 02:14 PM

It seems like that is what this forum is focused on. Who are the unsuccessful Trump voters left in the area? Who can’t afford to live well in the area ? Find those people and make them feel unwelcome. That is the gist of this forum.

Come to many pockets of the south shore and you’ll be surprised

Old 07-18-2022, 02:23 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
To the OP. Marblehead is a beautiful town with one big drawback - it's a pain to get in and out. You have to go through Salem and it can be 30 minutes from the highway. In October, it's a nightmare due to the Halloween tourists. And you'll have to deal with that to get to a train station.

You may want to consider Beverly Farms, Swampscott, Hamilton, Wenham, Ipswich, Essex, or even Topsfield. Those would have either beaches or easy distance to beaches. You can also get to the commuter rail in a reasonable time. And your spouse could drive to Harvard from there although I'd avoid it.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:27 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
^^^^
This.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:43 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcalloway4 View Post
So to keep in perspective and let everyone know what we are dealing with now....we are moving from the bible belt NC to MA - I just want to ensure the actions of how a conservative town here behaves is the same as conservative over in MA. We are okay with a balance of people from different political backgrounds as long as it is a welcoming and a respectable community to everyone. Because that is not happening here in NC and we would love to avoid that trap again. Healthy debate is good!

Conservative here and we are talking an abundance of TRUMP flags (house, car, street posts, christmas lights) limited education on our history, anti LGBTQ flags and stickers, Anti Vax, excessive conservative rallies, volatile Nextdoor site due to this, walking around with guns just to show your rights, very Christian. If that is all happening in the South Shore (I have no idea!?) that is really helpful to know! I mean if that is your cup of tea, great - I just don't know if I can handle being immersed in it again lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There's such a thing as a conservative Democrat also. Just because someone voted Democrat doesnt mean they're hanging rainbow flags off their door.
As might be expected from someone who has only lived in the area and uses the term transplant as a pejorative, what you consider conservative may be different that what someone from another part of the country considers conservative. Independent of lots of other context, presidential election results are a good gauge of how conservative an area is on the the scale of the United States.

The South Shore is conservative for greater Boston. There are far more conservative parts of the state, and far far far far far far more conservative parts of the country. You will see Trump flags. You will see "Let's go Brandon" bumper stickers. Trump voters are present, but generally in the minority. Very vocal Trump supporters are also present but in the extreme minority.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:46 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
As a former Hingham resident it’s always impressive how people from other towns seem to know exactly what it is like to live in Hingham. The stereotypes are very overblown
Not really, all you need to do is visit the Whole Foods in Derby plaza on any given day and observe. Almost a guarantee you will encounter the holier than thou crowd in Lululemons unloading UPPAbaby strollers from their Range Rovers or GLE's w/ACK sticker on rear window. lol

Old 07-18-2022, 02:54 PM

I think people on this forum assume that anyone who Votes for trump is from carver or is a cop. I’m here to tell you this isn’t the case. No need to get angry about it.

The uppa baby founder is a Yale grad and lives in hingham or norwell I believe. She’s trying to start a hockey academy here on the south shore that people from all over the country have expressed interest in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts