Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2022, 01:47 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm talking Okemo in Ludlow Vermont, Mount Snow, Sunapee NH. The starting pay for anything Vail owns is $20/hour. That's what service sector people get paid. Cape Cod can't possibly be any different. You're not going to be able to get anyone for the Massachusetts minimum wage. Your rhetoric doesn't align with the real world, like usual.
Once again, that’s what they get paid and that’s why lift tickets at east coast mole hills with barely any amenities start at $160 and actual ski resorts on the west coast are closer to $300.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-10-2022 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2022, 02:02 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
Once again, that’s what they get paid and that’s why lift tickets at east coast mole hills with barely any amenities start at $160 and actual ski resorts on the west coast are closer to $300.

Also, everyone here is still anxiously waiting to see your Axel’s shopping list.

You are clueless how ski pricing works. An Epic Pass for the Northeast as a Value Pass with blackout days is $557. It blacks out Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas week, MLK weekend, and Presidents weekend. A midweek pass is $419. A senior midweek pass is $317. Nobody buys day tickets and resorts price to discourage people from buying day tickets.

Like I said, if you live in freakin' Rutland Vermont, you take the free employee shuttle to Okemo where the minimum pay is $20/hour. Service sector prices have to reflect that prevailing wage. It's not the minimum wage you perpetually whine about. Cape Cod has an equally tight service sector labor market.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:16 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times
Quote:
You are clueless how ski pricing works. An Epic Pass for the Northeast as a Value Pass with blackout days is $557. It blacks out Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas week, MLK weekend, and Presidents weekend. A midweek pass is $419. A senior midweek pass is $317. Nobody buys day tickets and resorts price to discourage people from buying day tickets.

Like I said, if you live in freakin' Rutland Vermont, you take the free employee shuttle to Okemo where the minimum pay is $20/hour. Service sector prices have to reflect that prevailing wage. It's not the minimum wage you perpetually whine about. Cape Cod has an equally tight service sector labor market.
People do purchase day passes (folks who aren't avid skiers looking for something to do with their kids during school vacation weeks might only do a day pass, for example).

Also, looks like an earlier reply to a post on this thread has disappeared so I'll explain since someone may have felt it was off topic. Nouveau-riche usually= name dropping (the need to mention Vail).

Old 12-10-2022, 06:33 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
People do purchase day passes (folks who aren't avid skiers looking for something to do with their kids during school vacation weeks might only do a day pass, for example).

Also, looks like an earlier reply to a post on this thread has disappeared so I'll explain since someone may have felt it was off topic. Nouveau-riche usually= name dropping (the need to mention Vail).
It seemed pretty clear from context that the Vail being mentioned was the company that owns the ski resort, not the expensive city in Colorado. Name dropping the name of the company that owns the resort is hardly the flex you think it is.

Now, before you think that I’m name dropping as well, I’ve been skiing a grand total of once (on someone else’s dime) but understand how to use google (look, name dropping another company).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okemo_Mountain
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vail_Resorts

Old 12-10-2022, 08:19 PM

16,396 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Someone working at vail is also probably making pretty good tips.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:41 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
If you have scarcity of anything it can drive prices up. Not to be OT but in the 1990's I bought a early 80's video game system (Vectrex) for $20. Check out the prices now on ebay. Reason being is there's been a steady stream of hackers that expanded it driving up demand. Since they haven't made the thing in decades the price went up and up. Currently the cardboard box it came with is maybe $80-150 and prices are going now from $500-$2,500. Remember when Adkins diet came and went? Beef prices went up and bakeries were nearly broke. Every business has ups and downs.

I'm not into skiing but Vail is mentioned in the show Better Call Saul when they discuss the retreat. It's considered one of the highest end in the country. Nothing wrong with name dropping. I attended a number of box seat Bruins games in the 90's due to a relatives employer. Box seats are meh. It's like being in someones apartment

Old 12-12-2022, 09:44 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Vail is a city, a resort, and a company.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Someone working at vail is also probably making pretty good tips.

Yeah. I'm sure the people scanning Epic Passes in the liftline at Sunapee and the lift attendants are raking in the tip money. $20/hour and they're having a hard time hiring staff.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:44 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Over the years I always enjoyed a restaurant with good size drinks. As my drinks are on the rocks, I know how much liquor there is in one. Best was a place with large drinks and good food. There are not that many of them.
We had a favorite restaurant….if you ordered a Manhattan you got the drink plus a small carafe with a second one in it. The restaurant didn’t last too long, but it was fun while it lasted.

Old 12-12-2022, 12:07 PM

16,396 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Yeah. I'm sure the people scanning Epic Passes in the liftline at Sunapee and the lift attendants are raking in the tip money. $20/hour and they're having a hard time hiring staff.
Why so snarky? You ask the mods to delete threads anytime someone picks on you. Pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts