Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 03:39 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I agree. Put it in the back where it isn't seen. Otherwise it looks trashy.
I don’t think you understand how satellite dishes work.

This thread is a good reminder of why I’d never want to live in an HOA neighborhood.

Trashy houses are trashy. Crumbling foundation, unpainted rotting walls. Actual rubbish in the yard. Flags and satellite dishes are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 04:13 PM

10,008 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Yes, they are like an antenna and need to be placed where they can get a signal.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:33 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Because, we know what country we're in.

Eh, sometimes it can be pretty easy to forget these days (unfortunately).

Count me as one who finds one's ethnic flag flying sans the American flag as a little obnoxious. We should be American first and Irish or whatever second. Fly both or neither.

Old 12-05-2022, 06:17 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, they are like an antenna and need to be placed where they can get a signal.
Which is almost exclusively the unobstructed southern sky. If the dish is in front it’s unlikely it will work out back.

Old 12-05-2022, 06:56 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,766,948 times
https://whdh.com/news/go-back-to-chi...-crime-charge/

https://www.boston.com/news/crime/20...back-to-china/

The man who was hit is Vietnamese and had been in this country since the 1980's. Now it is beginning to be clearer that the perpetrator was probably already in a foul mood but the sight of a person of Asian descent telling him to slow down obviously made him even more upset. The "Go Back to China" rant of course makes no sense and it is akin to telling a Ukrainian to go back to Russia, an Irishman to go back to Scotland, or a Pakistani to go back to India. I don't think Mr. Sullivan is going to get away with an excuse similar to the one used by the defendants in the notorious Vincent Chin case https://www.npr.org/2022/06/19/11061...hate-incidents anymore however. This is 2022, not 1982.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:23 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Now it is beginning to be clearer that the perpetrator was probably already in a foul mood but the sight of a person of Asian descent telling him to slow down obviously made him even more upset.

This doesn't make sense. The suspect told the victim he was "going to kill him" before going inside the post office. It was when he came back out, that he proceeded to mow the guy down. So it was somewhat pre-meditated, after some sort of confrontation happened beforehand.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:15 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,766,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This doesn't make sense. The suspect told the victim he was "going to kill him" before going inside the post office. It was when he came back out, that he proceeded to mow the guy down. So it was somewhat pre-meditated, after some sort of confrontation happened beforehand.
If I can piece together the chain of events, prior to entering the post office, some pedestrians were yelling at Sullivan to slow down. It was one thing if Ngo and Thiem were not the ones yelling at Sullivan but nevertheless he took his anger out on them. It is another if nothing really happened but Ngo was just too upset at seeing a speedy driver driving to fast and wanted to call him out, an unnecessary involvement indeed. My proposition on the other hand is that Ngo, one of his family members, or another pedestrian close by nearly got run over by Sullivan which was why he stopped to berate the older man. Instead of issuing a "mea culpa, I'm sorry I am in a hurry, I'll drive slower next time" or perhaps what MSRB311 suggested, just a crude but ordinary "%&@ you!" and walk away, the man instead took to hurling racial epithets and threatening the family. It was like he was trying to worsen the situation and pick a fight when he did not have to. That was why Ngo and Thiem stayed behind to snap photos of his car, because Sullivan threatened to kill them. In hindsight, sticking around snapping photos and waiting for the cops to come may not have been the safest and wisest thing to do given one does not know who they're dealing with and I give Ngo and Thien credit for being brave enough to do that, but again this is 2022, not 1982. Asian Americans are not going to stand by letting others make death threats to them on account of their ethnicity and more are willing to report such activity.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:28 PM

16,338 posts, read 8,162,213 times
If he had just yelled go back to wherever and drove off I don't think much could have or would have been done. But hitting someone with your car will do it.

Old 12-05-2022, 09:24 PM

3,603 posts, read 1,831,257 times
That's the problem on the roads today and why more enforcement is needed...when perps get called out on their moronic road rage behavior by other drivers (either they're honked at for not using a signal, screamed at to slow down, etc.) they act like complete animals and think nothing of it when they endanger others with their actions. When you call someone out for going too fast maybe the middle finger goes up and they continue on their way. However, if you're dealing with a real crazy (and it seems that there are many more out there now that are completely unhinged individuals) it might end up more than a middle finger and something worse as was the case here.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-06-2022 at 04:36 AM..

Old 12-06-2022, 12:52 PM

129 posts, read 107,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I have family and roots in quincy. Say whatever you want about Asians coming in but you have to admit that if they didn't come in the city would have a huge loss. I can name places that have had zero if not negative population growth. Holyoke was once 60,000 people and then to 40,000 and is now maybe 35,000. Yeah I get it things change but it doesn't mean people are bad. Ethnic neighborhoods can change with time.
Holyoke's population was over 38k in the last census and that is probably undercounted so I doubt it is around 35k. There seems to be an anecdotal influx of people moving there due to the higher costs of the neighboring hamptons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts