Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2023, 01:48 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Is there even such a thing as a forever home anymore? With the way companies lay people off, people voluntarily switching jobs every couple years and move, etc. it seems the only people who can truly say they have a forever home is those who paid cash and don't need to depend on a high paying job to support their housing.
I know a lot of people who have been in the same home for decades. Things can change but not always.Some people maybe will be in trouble in this current environment or if they bought the last two years at the top of their budget. just because someone gets laid off doesnt mean they have to sell their house either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 03:12 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I know a lot of people who have been in the same home for decades. Things can change but not always.Some people maybe will be in trouble in this current environment or if they bought the last two years at the top of their budget. just because someone gets laid off doesnt mean they have to sell their house either.
Not to mention, I'm sure the divorce rate spiked during/after Covid too which is another reason to sell/move.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Nope, not if they have an emergency fund or if they can line up another job quickly, otherwise they could wait for the foreclosure proceedings to start.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:17 PM

Default re

Quote:
Nope, not if they have an emergency fund or if they can line up another job quickly, otherwise they could wait for the foreclosure proceedings to start.
Have you seen many foreclosure listing? I haven't. I also havent heard of all that many layoffs. The people who do get laid off seem to find work quickly. I just dont think MA is going to have a big problem unless the pharma/tech industries disappear.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Have you seen many foreclosure listing? I haven't. I also havent heard of all that many layoffs. The people who do get laid off seem to find work quickly. I just dont think MA is going to have a big problem unless the pharma/tech industries disappear.
MA is not immune. There have been layoffs recently.....in May some larger pharmas laid off a few hundred folks based in MA and here's some more recent ones.....https://www.biospace.com/article/bio...ty-cuts-staff/

Old 07-28-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
They definitely won't disappear but many of them are 'right-sizing'

Old 07-28-2023, 03:44 PM

I can think of a few hedge fund bros and greedy real estate investors who could use a dose of humble pie but I don't want to see people get laid off and lose their homes.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I can think of a few hedge fund bros and greedy real estate investors who could use a dose of humble pie but I don't want to see people get laid off and lose their homes.
I mean if someone in pharma lost their job and they were already commuting in to Bos/Cambridge then they likely still will with a new job since so many of those companies are based there. What might be concerning though for any of them who lose their job is if they don't have an emergency fund and they have like a $6k/month mortgage b/c they overbid on a house in 2022. It might be dicey for awhile until they get a new job which sometimes takes longer than one expects, even with so many companies in our backyard.

Old 07-28-2023, 03:59 PM

Default re

Quote:
I mean if someone in pharma lost their job and they were already commuting in to Bos/Cambridge then they likely still will with a new job since so many of those companies are based there. What might be concerning though for any of them who lose their job is if they don't have an emergency fund and they have like a $6k/month mortgage b/c they overbid on a house in 2022. It might be dicey for awhile until they get a new job which sometimes takes longer than one expects, even with so many companies in our backyard.
Right I have a hard time understanding these prices and why people are buying these homes and am constantly told here that people need a place to live. OK, but do you really need a 1.4M house to live in that not too long ago cost someone else 800k? The market is just a mess....but apparently some folks don't care. I would never assume that I would never lose my job but many folks seem to have that mindset.

Old 07-28-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Right I have a hard time understanding these prices and why people are buying these homes and am constantly told here that people need a place to live. OK, but do you really need a 1.4M house to live in that not too long ago cost someone else 800k? The market is just a mess....but apparently some folks don't care. I would never assume that I would never lose my job but many folks seem to have that mindset.
Me too, I've never been laid off in my industry but always err on the side of caution. These companies sometimes make haphazard decisions and next thing you know 30 of your colleagues are gone....and oh wait, that was only round 1. That's why even if I'm not seriously looking to make a move, I'm always interviewing. It may only be once or twice every few months but when a recruiter reaches out a lot of times I talk to them b/c one never knows. There's no loyalty really from either side anymore. Companies churn and burn their employees and employees churn and burn their employers. Gone are the days of retiring at a place you've been at for 30 yrs w/few exceptions of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts