Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2023, 12:31 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Even turtleboy is rattled/touched by this story:

https://tbdailynews.com/patrick-clan...ive-ever-read/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 01:51 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No doubt the Clancys could afford their 3 children. The larger question is why they would risk a 3rd given she'd had trouble with this disorder?

Why wasn't the husband warned never to leave her alone without supervision? If he was warned, why did he think it was safe to go out?

How long does this condition usually last after giving birth?

Because PPD isn't a risk and many women decide it's worth dealing with in order to build their family. PPP is an entirely different situation. Words have definitions and folks should stop referring to PP psychosis as PP depression.

Not that PPD isn't serious, but it doesn't cause you to have a psychotic break and kill your children.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:02 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Because PPD isn't a risk and many women decide it's worth dealing with in order to build their family. PPP is an entirely different situation. Words have definitions and folks should stop referring to PP psychosis as PP depression.

Not that PPD isn't serious, but it doesn't cause you to have a psychotic break and kill your children.
^^^
what I've been trying to point out from a medical standpoint.

The Boston Globe has been running some good articles on the issue beyond coverage of the recent tragedy.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:07 PM

PPD might different than PPP but it still can affect others if it drags on. Deciding that it's worth it and having more and more kids to be a sometimes mom seems selfish.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:40 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
^^^
what I've been trying to point out from a medical standpoint.

The Boston Globe has been running some good articles on the issue beyond coverage of the recent tragedy.
Ok, then does anyone know which condition she was being treated for? I thought it was psychosis.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:09 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Offhand I don't know. But her husband was working from home to be available to her. Don't know if it was his error to go out for takeout or if she wasn't having 24/7 observation with the kids.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:22 PM

Husband was remote at home and she was also still out on leave with a 7/8 month old. More help than many women get.

I don't know if she had PPD or PPP.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:31 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,357,977 times
Articles said she was in a 5 day per week intensive program and on that day she was having a “good day” so he ran out for food. I thought PPP was mentioned as a diagnosis.

Old 01-31-2023, 04:06 PM

531 posts, read 425,617 times
Chicagoliz,
I don't know why you're in such disbelief. It's not 1927 anymore when people had 5-6 kids to go work on the farm. In this day and age where kids are expensive AF, it's absolutely a status symbol to have lots of kids. Why do you think so many stop after one or two? I'm sure a lot of it has to do with finances.

Most colleges are upwards of 40k+ a year (at least). That's almost 700k when all is said and done to send four kids to college for bachelors degrees. Do you really think the average person can afford that?!

Rich people have them to show they can afford them and poor people have them because they know they get more benefits with every additional child. It's like that famous viral question that asks: What's classy if you're rich and trashy if you're poor? Florida is the common answer but it could also be lots of kids.

I'm not saying it's the only reason people have 3+ kids but in certain groups or enclaves, it can absolutely be seen as a status symbol. My close friend's sister is one of those ultra-wealthy and posh West Village/Meatpacking District types someone else on this thread was talking about and she has four kids all at expensive private schools in Manhattan. Because of her I know for a fact it's definitely a statusy thing in those kinds of cliques.

Last edited by Remy11; 01-31-2023 at 04:55 PM..

Old 01-31-2023, 05:43 PM

I guess I'm surprised to hear it's a trend/status thing amongst NYC posh, wealthy types. If you're one of those types and living/working in the city I wouldn't think you'd want a bunch of kids. The city just doesn't seem to be the place to have a big family. I can think of one example of some friends that live in NYC, they both have good jobs, doing very well, 1 kid who is 5 and don't seem to be having anymore.

I've noticed 3 or 4 kids being a trend down on the south shore but I'm here in suburbia and I think many people move here with the intention of having 3+ kids. There's just more space here. I'm sure many people who have a 3rd or 4th make sure they are financially ok before doing so which I'd say is a good thing. I just don't know for sure that it's a status thing...but it seems like many people are not satisfied with just 2 children these days and sometimes that surprises me. It isn't just a money thing, it's a time thing too. The more kids you have the more you are doing for them especially if they're active in things at school and sports.

I've heard the Clancy family had a Nanny in addition to the mother being on leave and the husband being home working remote. I'd guess they'd need help while she was supposedly in treatment 5 days a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts